Alabama Hills before the winter

• HTML tutorial

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

I've been thinking of doing a trip down to Alabama Hills this fall before they shut down highway 395. Or Highway 120.

Does anyone have any tips on best time to go, how many days it takes to do properly, things to do etc.?

I would be heading down from the SF Bay Area but we could easily meet up with others from down south

Anyone interested in joining?

@R1200gsfan @Budman @ntgbrl @Suburban_Overland @Nickynick351 @DieselAPS @Disco2Guy @Michael

I need this in my life!

Reactions: Suburban_Overland

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

If you decide on a time, I would be interested in camping out there. I have been there in early September on my dual sport bike and it was awesome. Amazing scenery out there.

There is a movie museum in Lone Pine I think that is a must if you are out there. They have all kinds of relics from several of the movies that were filmed out there. The dentist wagon from the movie Django was sitting in the front lobby last time I was there. I was told that Quentin Tarantino donated it to the museum after they were done filming out there.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@riffman12
I've been thinking of doing a trip down to Alabama Hills this fall before they shut down highway 395. Or Highway 120.
Does anyone have any tips on best time to go, how many days it takes to do properly, things to do etc.?
I will not be able to make it before winter but would be interested to hear of your planning, trail, and trip report, as my friends and I are thinking about a trip out next May/June. None of us have been out that way before.

Boort

Bryan_FRO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Agoura Hills CA
Member #

I'm definitely interested. The fiancé and I have been waiting for it to cool down. Let us know when you figure out a weekend.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
FWIW hwy. 395 rarely shuts down, and you can reliably reach the 395 via 88 in the winter. If I was going all the way to Alabama Hills from SF, I'd likely just head a little further and go to DV. Alabama Hills is fantastic but I wouldn't plan a trip around going there...check out the Saline Valley, Mazourka Cny. , Swansea/Cerro Gordo rd., all those trails could be tacked onto an Alabama Hills trip...

Reactions: Mogwai and Boort

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
20170910_154018.jpg I was down there a couple of weeks ago. We camped and hiked our way up 395.
We drove down and over Tehachapi, then worked our way north for a week.
We had some crazy weather. Hot during the day and then thundershowers and wind in the evenings on a few nights.
We didn't actually camp in Alabama hills, we camped up in Onion Valley then above Mammoth at a place called Coldwater Creek. Both at about 9k so it was chilly in the evening.
That whole area is gorgeous down there...

ntgbrl

Rank II

Advocate II

Im in (depending on what days. I'll be racing 7-8, 14-15, so those weekends are out)! Id say 3 days minimum, ive done the similar trek to Laurel Lakes (roughly 100 miles shorter) in a weekend (Friday night to Sunday night) and it was too rushed in my opinion.

Last edited:

ntgbrl

Rank II

Advocate II

Ok, i've given it some thought and rough planned out my ideal trip, taking 2 days off work (Mon-Tues?):
  • Friday night, drive up to the eastern Sierras and camp outside Bodie.
  • Saturday morning walk around Bodie, then head south to Alabama Hills, Camp there Saturday night.
  • Sunday, check out Alabama hills, drive north to Laurel Lakes and camp there Sunday night.
  • Monday, checkout Laurel Lakes and maybe hike up to the old mine on the hill side. Monday afternoon drive north to Buckeye Hot Springs and camp there while enjoying a good soak.
  • Tuesday afternoon leave for home, hopefully getting back at a reasonable hour.
Remember, I enjoy driving into camps late at night (it makes the trails more fun), so it may seem like a bit of a tight schedule to some. Breaking the trip up like this also makes each days drive 4 hours or so.