Aftermarket stereo that works with Gaia?

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Has anyone found a stereo that allows you to view Gaia on the dash? Maybe something that works through Apply Play? With the limited space it would be nice to be able to link the Gaia maps to a in-dash system. Does it exist?

Reactions: Ubiety

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yes the public beta of Gaia for iOS works on my Apple Car Play stereo. I have a single DIN fold out Pionner Apple Car Play deck. I'm sure there are newer versions of my deck out there

Reactions: Ubiety

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I have the Atoto A6 in my car. It a nice inexpensive Android head unit with Apple Play. I've used Gaia with it with no problems.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thank you everyone. With limited space in newer vehicles it is nice to have one device that has multiple functions.

Reactions: Road

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

What about doing a head unit delete? Use an amp to run your speakers. Run your amp from a tablet. I did this on a custom dash for a buddy’s jeep. Used a Bluetooth obd2 reader. He’s got basic gauges for engine vitals. Speedometer and tach are on the tablet along with several gps apps and his music library. Freed up a ton of space for upfitter switches and other radios. I run something similar in my side by side for a stereo but I run it Bluetooth from my phone.

pa10spro

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Has anyone found a stereo that allows you to view Gaia on the dash? Maybe something that works through Apply Play? With the limited space it would be nice to be able to link the Gaia maps to a in-dash system. Does it exist?
Insane Audio ins my system of choice. Check them out online.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any Apple CarPlay compatible radio will work. Factory or Aftermarket.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Does Gaia even work with Android Auto?
Having an Android Radio is different than Android Auto. Android Radios generally are from off brands and run any Android App. Android Radio only runs Android Radio approved apps. Until recently Google would not approve any “competing” navigation apps for Android Radio. That changed a few months ago. Meaning if Gaia wants to create an Android Radio compatible version they should be able to as long as Google approves it.

Reactions: MrChris

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I have a Klyde KD-1280 Android 9 head unit. Any app that runs on Android will run on it - including Gaia, which works brilliantly. Wireless Apple Car Play is brilliant, too.

Now if I could figure out a way to disable the auto screen orientation roating via the built-in accelerometer...

Seventhstream

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Albany, CA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I have a Pioneer unit that runs Android Auto and Gaia GPS works on it. Need a bigger screen though!! Looking for one of those huge 10" screens with good brightness.

Reactions: MrChris