Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have been thinking about adding a trail rack to my AEV tire carrier for awhile now. The carrier is plenty strong enough to add a rack to. I'm going to lose the shovel mount, but I have a Frontrunner shovel mount I haven't got around to installing yet. I really need to buy a welder,but I have access to a complete line of fabrication tools at work. Now I just need the time to weld this up.

I picked up a Harbor Freight 500lb hitch rack today for $36. Yep, it's cheap, but so am I! It is just bolted together for now. I will straighten it before I burn it together.20170429_132053.jpg I plan on using 1x1x1/8 square tubing for uprights on both side of the rack, with a gusset to hold for added strength. 20170429_132034.jpg There is still room for a can holder on both sides if I decide to go that route. My speedmaster traction boards would fit upside down on the bottom if I raise it an inch or so. I might do that, 4 of them is hard to fight the trasharoo around when hanging from my spare mount.20170429_132010.jpgThe cb antenna wouldn't have to move, but I doubt it would like being surrounded by metal.

20170429_132212.jpg

Ladder was a little to tall to show the room to mount a fuel/water can.
20170429_132359.jpg

I want a better place for a chainsaw then the roof rack. Any ideas what else I could incorporate into the rack?

Reactions: britz

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I really like the idea... Not to sure it would withstand much bouncing with any weight on it... It seems really cantilevered over the tire.
How do you plan on attaching it to the vertical pillar on the tire carrier?
As for the fuel can... I've got the 10.2 gallon fuel caddy from AEV and love it. It is a really good use of space.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I'm going to straighten it out before I weld the halves together. 1x1x1/8 square tubing is what I'll build the outside uprights out of, with a gusset to strengthen it. I'm going to fab a mount for the center post to bolt onto the rack. The plate that is welded to the top of the AEV carrier isn't straight on mine. I'm not sure if it was designed that way, of if mine was made on a Monday.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I'd love to see the project as you get it done... Please share pics...

WhatThaFrig

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Dull
Member #

I'm interested in the outcome of this too. With cargo space practically zero on the 2dr JKs, I've been considering a trail rack, but can't make myself pay $300+

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
If all goes well, and I get done in under 12 hours at work tomorrow, I'm going to at least get the rack mounted. The can carriers can wait. I don't like how much space is between the bars on the hitch rack, but some expanded metal will fix that.
I see no need to spend a butt load of cash on a trail rack. And the AEV carrier is pretty stout. I may mount the third brake light in the middle of the rack, I thought that would be kinda cool.

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

lol I have that same carrier from Harbor Frieght - survived the trip from Atlanta to Nantucket and survived a trail ride here on island which it almost got me stuck (also forgot my son's stroller was on it too). I can see this working out really well too - good idea

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Well, I didn't get much sleep last night, I woke up and started thinking about this rack and about the trip for memorial weekend. I did have a few good ideas, but it sure didn't help me stay motivated enough to work on it when I finally got back tonight. And then my wife wanted to go out for Cinco de Mayo. Hopefully I will have some time next week.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I put the trail rack on today. It was a pita by myself. A friend of mine stopped in, so I had some needed help eyeballing it. 20170513_133935.jpg 20170513_134003.jpg20170513_142058.jpg 20170513_174254.jpg20170513_174304.jpg 20170513_174313.jpg

I can hang off of it without it moving. Since I don't plan on carrying anything heavy on it, it'll be fine. Now I just have to build a holder for my chainsaw!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No

I have been trying out different configurations of gear for next weekend. The rack adds a ton of room for me. I'm probably going to keep lighter stuff on it. I like having my saw on it. Keeps the fumes out of the cab, but I do like the smell of a two stroke!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk