• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Question regarding the SAFARI SNORKELS.

I have a Land Rover Discovery4 / LR4 2016 SCV6 HSE LUX. This is the 3 Litre petrol supercharged version that came out between 2014 and EOS 2016. Land Rover OEM 2015/16 snorkel is not compatible for this engine and the V8 Petrol version is also not compatible

Has anyone bastardised a OEM or any other snorkel to fit this engine? Or know of anyone who has?

I have contacted ARB to see if theirs fits but i think this is going to be an anomaly.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Monkey Brains

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have a Land Rover Discovery4 / LR4 2016 SCV6 HSE LUX. This is the 3 Litre petrol supercharged version that came out between 2014 and EOS 2016. Land Rover OEM 2015/16 snorkel is not compatible for this engine and the V8 Petrol version is also not compatible

Has anyone bastardised a OEM or any other snorkel to fit this engine? Or know of anyone who has?

I have contacted ARB to see if theirs fits but i think this is going to be an anomaly.

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Hey Fozzy,

I've wanted to add one to mine as well. Haven't got a ton of information, but will share what I've found.

1) both the Safari and OEM are made for the 4.6L V8 LR3 and TDI Discovery 4 not available in North America
2) North American LR4's, both 5.0 V8 and SCV6 are dual intake engines.

I've only seen passenger side RAI's (raised air intake) nor have I seen anyone running dual RAI's. Now fitting it to your LR4 is not a problem they are an exact fit, but only fitting one could cause problems. Each intake is equipped with map sensors. Your computer will get different reading on each intake and throw an engine fault code. I've heard some don't get a fault and others that they clear it and it only shows up occasionally. I've never attempted this, so I can't speak from experience. Also, why raise only one side, I don't see any benefit in this.

I've been tossing around an idea that I can't get any feedback on.
If I was to custom make the intake pipe from the throttle body to the air box on the passenger side and eliminate the driver side airbox completely, it would force all air to come in from the passenger side. This custom intake tube would have to have both left and right MAP/MAF sensors mounted in it and electrically connected. The computer would then get the same reading on both and not throw any faults. The single intake was sufficient for the 4.6L V8, so I'm not sure how a 5.0V8 or a 3L SCV6 would be impacted, (mileage, horsepower, torque etc.)

If I go this route, I will keep all of my OEM parts in case I need to reverse this procedure. I will also post a how to with pictures or video for the benefit of others. As a bonus, I think the area where the drivers side air box sits, would make a great location for an auxiliary battery.

Hope this helps

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hey Fozzy,

I've wanted to add one to mine as well. Haven't got a ton of information, but will share what I've found.

1) both the Safari and OEM are made for the 4.6L V8 LR3 and TDI Discovery 4 not available in North America
2) North American LR4's, both 5.0 V8 and SCV6 are dual intake engines.

I've only seen passenger side RAI's (raised air intake) nor have I seen anyone running dual RAI's. Now fitting it to your LR4 is not a problem they are an exact fit, but only fitting one could cause problems. Each intake is equipped with map sensors. Your computer will get different reading on each intake and throw an engine fault code. I've heard some don't get a fault and others that they clear it and it only shows up occasionally. I've never attempted this, so I can't speak from experience. Also, why raise only one side, I don't see any benefit in this.

I've been tossing around an idea that I can't get any feedback on.
If I was to custom make the intake pipe from the throttle body to the air box on the passenger side and eliminate the driver side airbox completely, it would force all air to come in from the passenger side. This custom intake tube would have to have both left and right MAP/MAF sensors mounted in it and electrically connected. The computer would then get the same reading on both and not throw any faults. The single intake was sufficient for the 4.6L V8, so I'm not sure how a 5.0V8 or a 3L SCV6 would be impacted, (mileage, horsepower, torque etc.)

If I go this route, I will keep all of my OEM parts in case I need to reverse this procedure. I will also post a how to with pictures or video for the benefit of others. As a bonus, I think the area where the drivers side air box sits, would make a great location for an auxiliary battery.

Hope this helps
Have a look at this like to the ram air system from a motorcycle. It may be the idea to get equal air to both sides.

Thanks for the advice

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Ok I have been looking into several snorkels, I was wondering if Discovery 1/2 come in left hand and right hand versions.

Last edited: