Advice for first family trip

• HTML tutorial

Greaslife

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm looking for any input on a first trip with the family. Like what not to take i.e kitchen sink. Things that you definitely need. Tent, sleeping bag, the basics. Thanks in advance

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’m no expert but other than the basics other things that helped us was a fan for inside the tent, wet wipes, flash lights for night walks. Also depends on how long you’re staying and what amenities they have or don’t have. On our first trip I actually forgot the propane lol.

Reactions: Jace Skyshark

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Start with the basics and take baby steps. Camp out in the back yard a couple times first. This will get you familiar with how to set up/take down your tent and gear before you are out in the boonies. My wife and I have camped for decades and we still do this whenever we get any new equipment. Last thing I want to do is try and figure out how to operate something for the first time when it's dark and raining.

Next, spend a weekend at a local state park. This will give you an idea of what you do/don't need before you head off on a much longer trip, where you may not be able to just run out and pick up something that you didn't think about or got left behind. It will also help you determine just how much you can carry and the best method of packing it all up.

There is a very good checklist available on the site. (I've attached a copy) Use it as a starting point and tailor it to your specific needs. I personally didn't need some of the items listed, and yet also added many things that are not listed.

Finally, you did the best right thing by asking. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are happy to help out fellow OBers.

Attachments

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
Great advice from Roots66. Overlanding combines camping with travel, and each has its own requirements. From experience, I'd make sure to keep the first trip short, and include a compelling "main destination" which has something to offer, especially for younger kids. You'll find that you can plan routes in many areas which will seem remote, but are really only a few miles from civilization, for support and peace of mind as you build experience. Last suggestion - don't travel alone if you can help it. A second vehicle is the most useful thing to have in the event of a breakdown, and a second brain always helps when problems need solved.

Greaslife

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the advice . As far as a second vehicle I'm new at this and don't know anyone else that is interested in the same thing. I'm on my local board and have met a few of the guys but that's about it. I have a few more things to get for my kit that I seen on the list I never thought of. Thanks again

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Thanks for the advice . As far as a second vehicle I'm new at this and don't know anyone else that is interested in the same thing. I'm on my local board and have met a few of the guys but that's about it. I have a few more things to get for my kit that I seen on the list I never thought of. Thanks again
I’m not able to open the list at the moment so apologies if this is redundant.

If you’ve got kids, have a plan on how you will entertain them if the whole trip is spent in the tent. Rain and bad weather can really limit the outdoor activities so bringing along some board games or something for the little ones is usually a good idea. Lots of folks don’t plan rainy day activities and then the kids get bored and cranky and I think that can be contagious to adults!

A lot of people plan fair weather activities but when those plans are forced to change they may be scrambling for stuff to do. “I Spy” only goes so far after a while.

Greaslife

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m not able to open the list at the moment so apologies if this is redundant.

If you’ve got kids, have a plan on how you will entertain them if the whole trip is spent in the tent. Rain and bad weather can really limit the outdoor activities so bringing along some board games or something for the little ones is usually a good idea. Lots of folks don’t plan rainy day activities and then the kids get bored and cranky and I think that can be contagious to adults!

A lot of people plan fair weather activities but when those plans are forced to change they may be scrambling for stuff to do. “I Spy” only goes so far after a while.
Thanks for the input. Any time we take a road trip weather it's to the desert or a long car drive we have the kids pack there stuff to play with. Being 12 and twins it's easier just to have them grab whatever they want. Usually it's there phones and ear buds.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks