A "cooler" idea.

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I don't really want to buy an electric cooler. But I have issues with everything being drown in yuch by the third day in my ice chest. The problem with the ice chest is that you need to keep "going into town" to get ice for it. If I use milk jugs full of frozen water, I solve the drowning issue, but create the new issue that I need to go home to re-freeze them.

What I keep seeing as a possible alternative is small freezer, just large enough to hold a quart milk jug (Or maybe a soda bottle?) Use this on 12V while driving to freeze up a fresh blocks of ice.

What do you think?

-jim lee

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

On some longer trips I set my ARB 37Q to freeze and freeze a Milk jug of water in it. In my cooler I keep a second frozen one, simply swap them out every morning at breakfast to keep the cooler food chilled. As I get to just needing the volume of the ARB I move the last of the food to the ARB and turn it up to refrigerate. Only thing I'll say is be sure you are driving enough or have a large enough solar array to use a freezer, because the freezer fridge's amp draw goes up quite a bit as the set temperature drops.