OB Approved A Basic Overlanders Guide To Mobile Radio Equipment (U.S. Version)

• HTML tutorial

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Dual band capability. IMHO.
I have a dual band Yaesu FT-8800 dual band and it has survived the last 5+ years in multiple Jeeps. I live on country back roads and I am constantly wiping the dust off of my radios, and they still chug along.
There are many 2m repeaters so you would likely be fine with it, but there are many linked systems that are on 70cm so why not have that option too?

Reactions: Wilbah

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Dual band capability. IMHO.
I have a dual band Yaesu FT-8800 dual band and it has survived the last 5+ years in multiple Jeeps. I live on country back roads and I am constantly wiping the dust off of my radios, and they still chug along.
There are many 2m repeaters so you would likely be fine with it, but there are many linked systems that are on 70cm so why not have that option too?
I figured if people truly needed the ruggedized version it would have popped up on the forum(s), but figured I would ask. Thanks for your help!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
@1Louder - When it comes down to what to equip yourself with the big factor seems to be - how is the rest of the group I am going out with equipped so I can talk to them.
I agree with you, that's one of the reasons I have a 75 watt 2 meter Ham radio and a CB. Not everyone has the time, money and a license to use a Ham radio but a lot of people have a CB. I also have a handheld FRS/GMRS radio too.