76 CJ-7 304 TH400 Quadratrac- Swap or repair?

• HTML tutorial

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I've got a 1976 CJ-7 304 TH400 and the Quadratrac. The previous owner put a street racing shift kit in the transmission ( I don't know why.... he did some other silly things I also had to fix.....). As a result, I twisted the stock axles and stretched the chain in the transfer-case. I toned the shift kit down as much as I could, but it still shifts hard. I now have one-piece axles, but the quadratrac feels like it needs another new chain.

The Quadratrac has always given me issues. I've had to replace the chain twice now, and it always seems to leak. When it stops leaking, I know I need to add fluid.

Today on the way home on the freeway, I suddenly lost propulsion. It seemed as if the transmission shifted itself into neutral. I limped off the freeway while trying to get it to re-engage. Finally I got what felt like second gear. It wouldn't go into third, no matter the RPMs. I came to a stop, and it downshifted to first, and then stayed there- no matter the gear selector position or RPM. I made it home in first gear.

I left the Jeep sit. It cooled off before I got around to further diagnose it. I took it out for a spin. Transmission and everything else worked fine. I only took it around town a few times, as I did not want to tempt fate on the freeway again. The transmission shifted fine and never slipped.

So- here's the million dollar (well, maybe a few thousand dollar) question. What's wrong with the trany? If it's time for a rebuild, I'm thinking I'll just do a crate trany. While I'm at it, I would like to swap out the quadratrac. BUT- I have the offset rear axle. So what other transfer-case has the off-set rear output? I don't want to part with the cash for a transmission, transfer-case AND new axles!

I've heard that the quadratrac transfer-case parts are getting hard to find. So repairs might be more and more difficult as time passes.

Thanks in advance!
Randy

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

You may have more luck on one of the Jeep forums. They have a broader base for tech like this.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Yeah, the silence was deafening on this post. Even the Jeep forums are getting slim for older Jeeps like mine. Everyone has one of the shiney new ones!

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I know your post is a couple of weeks old but I love to talk jeeps and mods for them. If it was my jeep I would not mess with the quadra trac. I would find a Dana 300 t case. It can be found cheap and rebuilt for very little. They are truly great transfer cases plus you'll never stretch a chain again. The mods that can be done to them are endless. I recommend atleast doing the twin stick set up. For the rear end I'd look at Jeep Dana 44 or ford 8.8 out of the explorer, which can be found with disc brakes and are both common options. Details of these swaps can be found all over. The ford would probably be the cheaper and more available axle. Then simple matter of matching ring and pinion to the front.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I'm not afraid to turn a wrench on my Jeep, but I'm new to the scavenging and sourcing parts, such as finding a Dana 300. Where can I find one of these elusive creatures? I've already found that Novak sells a rebuilt TH400 with the Dana 300 adapter installed!

Then I need to find the rear axle. I'm intrigued by your idea to use the Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. Are they the same width, or will I need to have it cut down?

Randy

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

80-86 cjs had the Dana 300 t case. It shouldn't be hard to find one. Junkyards or Craigslist even jeep forums. If you were around Nevada I have the one out of my jeep I'd be willing to part with. The ford 8.8 is about 6 inches wider I do believe. The 1000 dollar question is what are you using your jeep for. The Dana 30 drum brake front end is pretty much a pile. A Dana 300 and 8.8 is a great start but if you're gonna wheel much the Dana 30 will be your next weak point. If it is a drum brake front, then running a disc rear could get sketchy. If you plan to stay drum brakes all the way around, I would have the 8.8 narrowed to match the front. You'll need custom axles anyway for the correct bolt pattern. There are so many options and unlimited ways to spend your money on the wrong parts. You can go at it like I did, and start with no game plan and end up completely rebuilding it 4 times. All because a previously purchased part doesn't work so well with the latest upgrade. If you know what you want to use the jeep for I'd gladly discuss options and sources for parts with you for hours. I just don't want you to get the rear have it narrowed then hate the front and want to upgrade but nothing better will match your custom rear end. Let me know your plan and I will help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

That's exactly where I'm at mentally. I've been building this Jeep for 25 years. Often I find myself tearing out something I previously installed, when it doesn't work the way I wanted or doesn't work with a new mod. So.... I'm always looking for good advice from experienced people!

My currently philosophy on building my Jeep is- simplicity. The least complicated is the most reliable. Non-custom parts, are easier to source replacements and repair when in the field.

I've never been happy with my drum brakes. So, I do see disc brakes in my future. * It just keeps getting more expensive!

I've done the Rubicon and Fordyce Creek both a couple times. I enjoyed the experiences- but I'm not a crazy rock-crawler who likes to break his rig on the trail. I'm building the Jeep to be dependable, reliable and more capable. Now I've got kids, I don't want to get out and break. I want to get out- and come home again! I do want to travel to places that most people can't get to.

For a Dana 300- If the price was right, I'd drive to Nevada! My brother put a T-18 and Dana 300 in his Jeep- that thing was bullet-proof!

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The th400 Dana 300 would be pretty bullet proof. knowing more about what you're doing I can tall you I would not soak the money into the front Dana 30 to do a disc conversion. I would seriously look at swapping both axles. Dana 44s front and rear will work good as long as you are not crawling with 37s. For Dana 44s I would look for a set from a scout or wagoneer. You could also search scout and wagoneer forums. Again junkyards Craigslist and jeep forum classifieds. You will probably have to move your front springs out but there are kits available for doing that. Rear perches would have to be moved in. Some cjs also had 44s front and rear. Just about anything can be made to fit. Mine has full width Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. If you can find a match set you won't have to regear right away to get it driving or wheeling.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I currently run 33's, which I have been happy with.

But.... The last Sierra Trek poster I saw said that 35's were minimum now. Most builds seem to be moving to 35's as standard. What do you think?

When you talk about moving the springs- Are you talking about the perches on the axle?

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

When you swap the front axle unless you use the jeep Dana 44 you'll have to outboard your front springs. Generally your front spring perches are cast in on the pumpkin side. For example my springs were 28 inches apart and a full width Dana 60 from a 78-79 ford has perches 32 inches apart. My springs had to be moved out 2 inches on each side. Rear end is as simple as cutting off perches and moving them in.

As far as tires go I run 35s on everything I own. My jeep will get 37-38s the next set. Not saying you can't still wheel 33s I just like 35s. Most of the guys I wheel with are using 37s. If you need 37s and bigger then I start recommending bigger axles or atleast a really built axle set up.