4th gen 4runner AT tire recommendations

• HTML tutorial

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello all,

What are some good tires these days when looking at mix of daily driver, snow, light off-road (gravel roads, dispersed camping areas, and a trip through the WA BDR next year)?

I'm looking to keep the stock tire size, and my normal go to would be 265/65/17 BFG KO2's load C and call it good. But wasn't sure if anyone has had experience with something better on a 4runner.

Goals are:
Not high mpg hit (especially with high gas cost)
Good road manners
Decent snow, rain, gravel, sand (not expecting much with deep mud)
Good sidewall protection
Decent wear mileage

Cost is not as much of a consideration, but of course a better deal is always welcome .

Reactions: dubsludge

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I really liked my Falken's Wild Peaks, I had them in the stock size and just went up to a 255/80 R17 on my new set. Great in the snow both packed / mixed. Pretty decent in rain until about 40-50k miles on them they got a little squirrely in heavy rain with standing water after that.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
2010-2018 - Tyres we have used in South America:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad.

2022 - we bought a Wrangler JK LWB in Canada and it had Michelin LTX winter tyres all round: not my ideal choice however they were in good shape with lots of km left so we didn't waste mony changing them. They are OK for highway, gravel, and some offroad, however on the Dempster we had two punctures in the same tyre (fixed at the roadside) so when we were in Fort Nelson we looked for an AT to replace the twice-repaired LTX. The spare (strangely) was an AT Bridgestone Dueler and the shop had one of these so now we have two Duelers on the back axle and two LTXs on the front (and as a spare). The Dueler would not have been my preferred choice however we were going to be covering a lot of km before the next place where we could expect to find ATs, and we had one already, so we went with the Dueler. We don;t have enough km in these to have formed a view, however they're quiet and have good highway grip, and have handled gravel and some offroad OK. When we reach a point at which we need to replace them we'll look for Toyos.

So, I'd recommend Toyos. I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Thanks for the recommendation. Are you on stock height with the 255/80's? How has that been for mpg versus stock?

I really liked my Falken's Wild Peaks, I had them in the stock size and just went up to a 255/80 R17 on my new set. Great in the snow both packed / mixed. Pretty decent in rain until about 40-50k miles on them they got a little squirrely in heavy rain with standing water after that.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thanks for the recommendation. Are you on stock height with the 255/80's? How has that been for mpg versus stock?
I have a 3ish inch lift. The 255/80s fit with just a little bit of rubbing on the mud flaps when turning. Planning on just taking them off soon. MPG is being reported as 18.1-18.4 per the console. That is probably a bit off because my speedometer is now reads 3 mph slower. I haven't calculated MPG

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

2010-2018 - Tyres we have used in South America:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad.

2022 - we bought a Wrangler JK LWB in Canada and it had Michelin LTX winter tyres all round: not my ideal choice however they were in good shape with lots of km left so we didn't waste mony changing them. They are OK for highway, gravel, and some offroad, however on the Dempster we had two punctures in the same tyre (fixed at the roadside) so when we were in Fort Nelson we looked for an AT to replace the twice-repaired LTX. The spare (strangely) was an AT Bridgestone Dueler and the shop had one of these so now we have two Duelers on the back axle and two LTXs on the front (and as a spare). The Dueler would not have been my preferred choice however we were going to be covering a lot of km before the next place where we could expect to find ATs, and we had one already, so we went with the Dueler. We don;t have enough km in these to have formed a view, however they're quiet and have good highway grip, and have handled gravel and some offroad OK. When we reach a point at which we need to replace them we'll look for Toyos.

So, I'd recommend Toyos. I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.
Good to hear about Toyo's. I'll give them a look. Funny you mention Michelin LTX as that is what I have on now which came with the 4runner. Decent for everything I have put at them dd wise.