Rank VI

Explorer I

Bernice, LA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hines
Member #

Trying to decide the best tires for my TRD Pro with Westcott Lift to travel on highway, trails, and some mud. I am planning a Colorado Trip in July and want them to perform there as well. Any recommendations? I’m mainly looking at a 285/70/17 and Wildpeaks are the main mention.

Pictured is my rig with the stock Terra Grapplers in 265/70/17

Attachments

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I am on my second set of wildpeaks on my 4runner and depending on supply will be buying wildpeaks for my Wrangler when it is time. I have been very pleased on their performance on the dry road, snow covered road, wet road, and off road. Haven't had a chance to use them on a muddly clay route yet.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I’ve been running Nitto Trail Grapplers, and so far for my driving style they are great. (Mud, snow, desert, mountain trails)

I went with 285s, 70’s, 17

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
As a user of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's, I would hardly recommend them for daily driving. They're about the king of every off-road terrain I have ever encountered - mud, sand, some rocks, never tried them on snow. Road traction is limited however, and slick roads make it worse. They are also a very soft tire, and if you don't keep your truck very closely aligned then the road will chew them up really fast. For me, this means alignments every 2-4 months, and my wheeler is NOT my daily driver.

Consider an A/T such as the Toyo Open Country or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, if you're going to drive on the road a lot.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used BFGs for nearly 40 years on various vehicles. Always got at least 50k miles from a set of 4, more if I rotated 5 in. Then, 4 years ago my tire guy recommended General Grabbers. 285/75/16.E . I pulled some teeth, and tried them. At 55,000 miles rotating 4 it’s time for a new set. I just wish the grapplers came in 255/85/16.E They do not, so I’ll be trying out a set of Wildpeak MTs. I ran 255s years ago and prefer tall and skinny. It’s a shame they are only available in MTs

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Unfortunately asking what kind of tires you should get would be like asking what kind of pizza should I get for dinner? Everybody’s gonna like something different for some reason, and hate other things for their own reasons.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Smileyshaun Sure, but that's kind of why he asked - he wants to know what everybody likes and dislikes, and why, based on their own experiences.

He also said he's running mostly highways, dirt, and mud. That helps narrow down the kind of tires he's after. Vehicles a similar size and suspension setup to his would be the ones whose information is most valuable.

Tire-wise, I would recommend a mid-range company like Toyo/Nitto, Goodyear, or Michelin. Mickey Thompson is overpriced and BF Goodrich ain't my bag.

Cheap tires are cheap for a reason, but my brother likes Cooper Discoverer A/T's for the highway, dirt, mud, and ice that he has dealt with. Research some tread patterns and expected mileage, and let us know what you decide!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
As noted, opinions vary, however:

2010-2018 in South America

- Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
- Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019-2022 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad.

2022 - we bought a Wrangler JK LWB in Canada and it had Michelin LTX winter tyres all round: not my ideal choice however they were in good shape with lots of km left so we didn't waste mony changing them. They are OK for highway, gravel, and some offroad, however on the Dempster we had two punctures in the same tyre (fixed at the roadside) so when we were in Fort Nelson we looked for an AT to replace the twice-repaired LTX. The spare (strangely) was an AT Bridgestone Dueler and the shop had one of these so now we have two Duelers on the back axle and two LTXs on the front (and as a spare). The Dueler would not have been my preferred choice however we were going to be covering a lot of km before the next place where we could expect to find ATs, and we had one already, so we went with the Dueler. We don;t have enough km in these to have formed a view, however they're quiet and have good highway grip, and have handled gravel and some offroad OK. When we reach a point at which we need to replace them we'll look for Toyos.

So, I'd recommend Toyos. I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Grasshopper1987 To sum things up easily for you, the common denominator in everybody's comments seems to be Toyo tires.

Nitto is the off-road division of Toyo Tires, so if you're more inclined to those sorts of things, search both divisions and decide which tire you're interested in! They come at a price, but I strongly recommend Toyo/Nitto tires as well.

Cheers!

dubsludge

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Aqua
Last Name
Woodland
Member #

Tossing my 2 cents in here:

I am about a month or so in with my Wildpeaks and my rig is a daily commuter. I drive city roads, country roads, highway, and gravel daily and love these tires!

I have found these to have very low road noise on all of the aforementioned road surfaces and there is no loss of traction or control in the weather we have had here in Oregon during my time with these tires.

I recommend these for sure!

Reactions: DintDobbs

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Have a ‘14 limited 4runner with 20k+ miles on P285/70/17 Wildpeak AT3W. Been very happy with the tires. Great everyday road, great in rain, snow rated but i have only limited snow but no issues. Limited minor mud and no issues. Very good wear and low noise. Note the truck has a TRD PRO Fox suspension with Wescott lift. Will stick with Wildpeaks at replacement.

Also have ‘21 TRD PRO 4runner with Wescott lift with 10k miles on factory 265/70/17 Nittos. Another good tire with good every day roads and great in rain. No snow or mud yet. Seem to be getting a touch louder with only 10k miles and alignment is perfect. Will probably change over to Wildpeaks at some point. Considering either P285/70/17 or LT275/70/17 in load range C. 285s are little wide for factory PRO wheels and why I am considering 275s. But tons of people run the 285s without issue. Load range E is just to much for my everyday needs.

Falken just released a new Wildpeak R/T tire. Hybrid all terrain and mud terrain. Being new there isn’t going to be any reviews and experience yet.

Last edited:

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
2004 4runner here. On my second set of WildPeaks AT3W. I went with LT255/80R17 for my second set and been very happy. Skinner tire seems to helped my mileage a bit for the commute and I have been very happy with them both off road in gravel/dirt and onroad in mixed snow/slush/unplowed roads

cadrummo

Rank II
Investor

Contributor II

Phoenix
Member #

2001 4Runner here. I am on my third set of BFG KO2s. I love the reliability and they are pretty easy to find in case I needed on in a pinch. I don’t daily drive, only for long drives or Offroad. The road noise isn’t too bad.