• HTML tutorial

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I currently work as the mobile mechanic for the International dealer in Spokane WA. A picture of my current office.
20221221_155046.jpg

I've worked on everything from diesels from the 1940s up to present in my life, both offroad and onroad stuff. Grew up logging and helping my dad fix his old equipment with baling wire and duct tape. Spent some time working on diesels in wheeled vehicles for Uncle Sam in the early to mid 90s and then worked on light duty stuff for independents and dealers. Went out to the oil fields and worked on BIG diesels.
20190314_101024.jpg

20151127_012523.jpg
Most of my current work is being an IT guy for trucks, as everything on them is tied to a computer. I also have a little experience on Deutz air cooled and water cooled diesels, don't see alot of them but our genie set growing up was powered by a 2 cylinder Deutz and I've also worked on them in oil and construction equipment.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm a 10 year diesel tech with Caterpillar PAR Dyno certs and worked in light duty diesel performance parts for a while as well. Here's my two cents...

In 1998 the EPA (backed by the Kalfornia Nazis) restricted the emissions of diesel motors. And, where gas engines advanced to electronic fuel injection years earlier...Diesels were still strictly mechanical injection...
Not 100% correct, the 7.3L Powerstroke was electronic in 94. International/ Ford was using Caterpillar HEUI under license. Also up until recently emissions requirements have helped the diesel industry by pushing innovation to make engines run more efficiently, thus make more power and get better fuel millage. This however stopped when they introduced the alphabet soup of exhaust modules. I wouldn't choose to own anything after 06. CA however did have more strict emissions requirements for, like you said pre 97s, which was a disaster.

First off! The "BIG HITTER" in the WHOLE diesel world is BOSCH! So Bosch jumps on board to modify their mechanical pumps electronically... With limited results! Basically a "train wreck"! Then goes to direct injection by 1999! Thus...If you want the "good sh*t" your rig have to have a VIN # under 1998!

More to follow!
The Cummins B series was always a direct injection engine. Also the Bosch VP44 injection pump is a great pump, its Chrysler's lack luster fuel supply solution that gives it a bad reputation. You can get great power and effeciency out of them quite easilly.

So I bought a motor from a consumer truck because the pump came from the factory (Cummins) with the highest "off the shelf" performance! I then was able to buy a few "inexpensive" components to boost the horsepower and RPM even more! Yes! I could have modified the pump to get STUPID horsepower! But who wants an exploded motor 2 day drive to the closest paved road in Baja????

Next up: BARBIE CLOTHES!
Motorhomes and emergency vehicles are going to get you the highest power outputs from the factory.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joaquin Suave

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

@Dilldog
Do you still work for CAT? In Spokane? I worked on quite a few 3512s out in the oilfields. I've also taken trucks into Western States when I worked for Track Utilities.

The Cummins B series is the diesel equivalent of a Chevy small block. I have a few 6bts with everything from a VE pump, p pump, and my favorite a VP44 pump. I also have a couple of 4bts, one in a Jeep M715. The VP44 pump is good as long as it has a good supply of diesel. I can remember doing services on Dodges with VP44s and a couple of times the truck wouldn't start after the fuel filter change. What happens is the electric lift pump quits or gets weak but the VP44 has enough suction to still run but it's not getting enough diesel for lubricating the internal pump parts and they get damaged. The fix is to put a good lift pump on it and something to monitor the pressure.

Probably the best diesels for drive ability and performance are the computer controlled ones up to 06, after 06 the emissions kills the MPG and longevity of the engine. I know lots of school buses with the International Maxxforce DT needing an inframe between 150k-200k miles, the old pre emissions DTs would go 500k before needing an inframe.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
@shortbus4x4 , nope I am not at Western States anymore. I ended up leaving there in '20. To put it bluntly I was sick and tired of being the shop suspension guy. It was flattering to be told I was the only tech that could consistently make time, but I was over it. After that I worked for Diesel Power Products until I butted heads with senior leadership, basically the GM had different ethics and priorities than I do. I still recommend buying parts there as the sales guys are the best in the industry and they have a great business model. Just don't expect much help if you need to escalate any service issues past the sales team. Now I am slinging coffee for Roast House. I have learned how to be a passable barista and am working on getting certifications to be an espresso machine tech.

Reactions: shortbus4x4

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
First off: THANK YOU for posting on this thread! I admit that most/ all my diesel knowledge is based on Cummins motors (for Medium duty trucks ) and Mercedes ( for smaller rigs)! You're and Shortbuss's input is greatly appreciated.

Oops your right! My bad! I meant"

I agree but at the time I was hunting for a motor, were impossible to find without high miles/ hours or buying a whole RV and scrapping it (YUCK)!

So people are whining about how this forum dying. Well given the fact that I don't share with anybody other than my closest friends where & when I travel.... This is the way I can "do my share" to keep this forum vibrant & alive.

Guys/ Gals! Don't be shy! If this "diesel stuff" is of interest to you... POST UP!!!!!
I hear ya, personally I would NEVER buy a take-out engine from an RV, typically maintenance is not kept up on to say the least. And yeah, I can understand wanting to steer clear of common rail. The fuel systems are much pickier, and you can't run waste oil in your fuel (I ran 25% used motor oil in my 93 Cummins powered Dodge. And the old International Farmall my dad has runs on 90% waste oil cut with kerosene, lol). But given the option, I would like to own a pre-emissions common rail Cummins powered Dodge, its just so easy to make big power with the common rail engines.
For the smaller diesels you mention working on the Benzos, I started an OM 616 build. I gotta say those 5cylinder Benzo diesels are very cool. The engine I was working on was a mechanical governor N/A engine from a 78. Thing sounded amazing with no muffler at the 5100rpm no load, lol.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Since you asked for participating, I leave you a picture of my 2012 jeep JKU diesel LHD it's a 2.8L common rail and a close relative to what is known as a 2.8 duramax in northern America.
Feel free to ask
And yes it's not fun to work on...

IMG_20220818_170704_compress9.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'll admit I didn't read every word of the thread, so forgive me if you covered this: did you do the killer-dowel-pin fix on the 12V?

FWIW my Full Size adventure rig is later (2011) and diesel and I love it...
P9300181.JPG

-TJ

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Since you asked for participating, I leave you a picture of my 2012 jeep JKU diesel LHD it's a 2.8L common rail and a close relative to what is known as a 2.8 duramax in northern America.
Feel free to ask
And yes it's not fun to work on...

View attachment 248283
Jeep ran Isuzu diesels, I thought the CRDs were Benzos?

No. After quite a bit of research I opted not to "break" the engine open enough to deal with it. I figured after 68k miles without any issues I'd be OK. Yes, I have boosted the horsepower on the motor, but not overkill!
I would still say do it, chances are you need to replace the front main seal anyway, and the gear covers are prone to leaking as well. If you get something like the BD kit its super easy and you just need to pull the gear cover. If the engine is still out its like 45min.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Jeep ran Isuzu diesels, I thought the CRDs were Benzos?
They should have stayed with Isuzu... Yes there where Mercedes diesels, I believe in the WJ and KJ, after that it's VM Motori but they kept the WA580 nag1 transmission

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
All of my trucks have been diesels. From 12v cummins, a ford 7.3 idi, 05 CTD that I built way too much. it was big, fast and too modified to do what I needed it to do anymore. Now I am working on using my 16CTD for work and a bit of an adventure truck. Nothing beats the Cummins in my book. Do they have their share of issues? Sure they all do. But they are way easier to work on. And @jaoquinSauve why didn’t you replace the killer pin while the motor was just sitting there. Pennies to fix instead of that disaster it causes when it lets go.