Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Airing down tires for traction is an old trick that is used by many looking to gain traction. Airing down each tire on its own, and then airing it back up can be faster with a 4 way setup.

I recently made this setup based on the following video.

with a slight change, I made the Gauge and airport assembly removable so that it would be easier to protect the digital pressure gauge. Not shown is the 2 extra male threaded barbed adapter or the hose clamps. and quick release chuck and extra fitting

20181227_193831.jpg

updated parts list from video decription

50’ 3/8 air hose http://amzn.to/2tCWsek

Cut into 7 pieces

2: 12’
2: 8’
2: 3’
1: Leftover section

4: standard bore lock-on air chucks http://amzn.to/2tCZShe
3: 3/8” T hose fitting http://amzn.to/2tx0xQN
1: ¼” brass shut off ball valve http://amzn.to/2seaQ8D
1: ¼” brass barstock female T http://amzn.to/2seuP77
1: Pressure gauge with 1/4” fitting http://amzn.to/2tz3WxZ
5: 3/8” barb with ¼” female fitting http://amzn.to/2szLVvu
15: ¼” to 5/8” hose clamps http://amzn.to/2txf7HZ
2 : ¼” Female NPT Plug http://amzn.to/2seaI99
1: 1/4-Inch Universal Brass Coupler with 1/4-Inch Female NPT

and the extra cut to desired length for you gauge and fill assemble

Start by threading the locking tire chuck on to the ends of the two 12 foot hose section, I mocked everything up with out teflon tape first.

20181227_194018.jpg
On one end of the 3 foot hose, push in your barbed 1/4" male fitting and secure with a hose clamp, and then attach a locking tire chuck.

20181227_194802.jpg

20181227_194922.jpg

20181227_195044.jpg

Attach the the 12 foot hose to the base of the barbed T as shown above, and the 3 foot hose to the leg of the T as shown .
20181227_195751.jpg

attached the 8 foot length to the other end of the barbed T fitting.

Now repeat with the the remaining 12 foot, 3 foot, and 8 foot piece to make 2 of these assemblies.

20181227_195959.jpg

Join the left and right side hose assemblies together with your left over Barbed T.

I then took the left over hose section cut it in half. and added to the T

20190106_145305.jpg

At the other end I added the 4th barbed 1/4" male adapter

20190106_145337.jpg and a Male quick release air fitting

This completes the heart of your 4 way Inflate / Deflate system, The Brains of the system is up next.
the control valve, gauge and air fill /discharge port.

20181227_200615.jpg

assemble as shown above and tighten all connections to ensure a airtight seal.

20181227_205016.jpg

add your pressure gauge, and your 5th 1/4" male threaded barbed adapter, and your quick release air chuck. Line the face of your gauge up so you can read it while using the valve.

20190101_162443.jpg

before attaching to your tires you will want to make sure the valve is in the off position or you will start to loose air right away.20190101_162507.jpg

20190101_162520.jpg

20190101_162641.jpg

lay out your hoses and attach to your valve stems..

20190101_162720.jpg

When turn you gauge on and set to PSI, press and release to change settings. press and hold to turn off.
Open the valve and watch your pressure drop. once you reach the desired pressure close the valve, turn the gauge off. and remove the tire chucks.

To inflate just add your air source to the airport before you open the valve.

Attachments

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Super cool! I’ve been thinking about doing this since I saw that other video. Thanks for the write up.

(Yes I deleted my question)

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

How long does it take to air up on that compressor? It's the single version right? I like the idea of it since it costs a little less and is smaller.

Thanks!
It takes the same amount of time to inflate all 4 as it takes to inflate 4 individually. It is the same volume to air up. I did not time it but I estimate the inflation time of my four 315s from 17 to 32 psi takes about 7-8 minutes with my arb single.
The biggest advantage is that I do not have to crunch down to deflate/inflate each tire so I just light up a cig and ignore other people's groans and envy. Hahahha. Also, deflate/inflate leaves me with perfect psi match in all 4 tires.
Yep, the single arb works great.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
It takes the same amount of time to inflate all 4 as it takes to inflate 4 individually. It is the same volume to air up. I did not time it but I estimate the inflation time of my four 315s from 17 to 32 psi takes about 7-8 minutes with my arb single.
The biggest advantage is that I do not have to crunch down to deflate/inflate each tire so I just light up a cig and ignore other people's groans and envy. Hahahha. Also, deflate/inflate leaves me with perfect psi match in all 4 tires.
Yep, the single arb works great.
Perfect! Thanks!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Whooo! Those bore-lock chucks are pricey! That said, i want need them and added them to my shopping list. Thanks for the write-up, my system needs a bit of a refresh and this is just the motivation I needed!

I have a chuck on the front and rear bumper, and have two hose assemblies but a very similar reason for doing this - envy of others ! :tonguewink:

Dan.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Everyone runs matched tire pressures front and rear? I typically adjust for load just a bit. I guess a two tire setup may be better for me.

Reactions: Brewbud

rich414

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cool setup i have been asking around and called a pump manuf (ABR?) about the 4 tire system They said it wont work because the weight on the front tires is more than the weight on the rear. and thats why they dont sell one.
I dont understand their comment. has ANYONE had issues with different pressure in front and rear tires? they did say it will work if you do the front and rear separately

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Everyone runs matched tire pressures front and rear? I typically adjust for load just a bit. I guess a two tire setup may be better for me.
Cool setup i have been asking around and called a pump manuf (ABR?) about the 4 tire system They said it wont work because the weight on the front tires is more than the weight on the rear. and thats why they dont sell one.
I dont understand their comment. has ANYONE had issues with different pressure in front and rear tires? they did say it will work if you do the front and rear separately
I do run different pressures front and rear, especially when towing my small trailer.
Usually 45 psi front and 54 psi rear, I typically follow the 4psi rule* using tire pressure monitors so I can see how they're doing.

I have a quick-disconnect on the front and rear bumpers, i have two separate hoses - one front, one rear.
I watch the gauge and when I get to 45, I turn off the front valve, and then turn off the compressor when the rears get to 54 psi, pretty simple.

*4psi rule: Measure pressure at cold, drive for one hour, if pressure increases more than 4 psi, the tires are under-inflated, adjust up in 2 psi increments.
If tire pressure increase is less than 4 psi, tires are over-inflated, decrease pressure in 2 psi increments, measure pressure after 30 minutes of similar driving to hit the Original +4 psi target.
In other words, tire pressure should increase by 4 psi above cold pressure if set correctly.
This works for on-road driving only but is a good measure of how to set your base pressures for typical driving conditions. YMMV.

Dan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood

mrrmatthews

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norfolk, VA
First Name
MARK
Last Name
MATTHEWS
Member #

Hey all, I figured I would add to this discussion rather than start a new thread. I just finished building a similar 4-Way deflator system. First I deflated all 4 tires using a Staun deflator just to test the operation. I am now filling my tires using a compressor and noticed that my rears were filling up faster than my fronts. Has anyone else had this same experience? If so, do you just fill all 4 tires up to your desired PSI and then let the 4-Way equalize all tires? Could this be a difference in hose length? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Hey all, I figured I would add to this discussion rather than start a new thread. I just finished building a similar 4-Way deflator system. First I deflated all 4 tires using a Staun deflator just to test the operation. I am now filling my tires using a compressor and noticed that my rears were filling up faster than my fronts. Has anyone else had this same experience? If so, do you just fill all 4 tires up to your desired PSI and then let the 4-Way equalize all tires? Could this be a difference in hose length? Any info is appreciated. Thanks
I made one for two tires since I usually run different pressures front to rear. one of my hoses is longer than the other. It does take a short while to even out.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id use it to air all 4 up rather than air down. Airing up takes way longer. Ive been toying with installing an onboard air system with a chuck on all 4 corners. I normally pull the stem core count to 8 seconds and that gets the air down to what i want it to be,from 45 to about 20 psi.