Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texarkana, Texas
First Name
Kiff
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Thanks for the invite, but I have plans already. BB is a cool place. I spent this weekend there.

Losttexan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texarkana, Texas
First Name
Kiff
Last Name
Barker
Member #

I’m sure your Xterra would be fine. All the trails that I’ve been on in that area have been forest service roads. I don’t think I’ve ever had to put my vehicle in 4wd unless it was raining and a little slick.

Reactions: texarkanacard

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'll be busy thanks for the invite though. Just so you know Holly mnt campsite is only gonna hold about 6 rigs. And they've been trying to build cabins out there for a few years now so there may or may not be construction there again by then.

If your really lookin for a spot for 20 rigs look on the west side of the highway there are atleast 2 spots that have been mined out and are flat that will hold quite a few rigs over there, If i remember right ones on Brigham young trail and the other is a few miles south west of that

I won't argue the view on holly mnt is awesome
20190629_135040.jpg

But after dark the other spots are good too
20191005_192622.jpg20191005_193151_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Would this be suitable for a newbie with a stock Nissan XTerra? Sounds like fun but I’m not sure I have the right kind of rig.
Yes, trails pretty easy...like old farm roads with small rocks...feels like driving over cattle rails..at least 6-7 inch clearance. A couple of trails with spots that had washout spots but should be fine.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'll be busy thanks for the invite though. Just so you know Holly mnt campsite is only gonna hold about 6 rigs. And they've been trying to build cabins out there for a few years now so there may or may not be construction there again by then.

If your really lookin for a spot for 20 rigs look on the west side of the highway there are atleast 2 spots that have been mined out and are flat that will hold quite a few rigs over there, If i remember right ones on Brigham young trail and the other is a few miles south west of that
I have seen that they are actively doing construction at the end of Holly Mountain trail, which is unfortunate but man I would definitely do the same if I owned the land.
I believe this event however is going to the Holly Creek campground area further north of Holly Mountain trail.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yes, trails pretty easy...like old farm roads with small rocks...feels like driving over cattle rails..at least 6-7 inch clearance. A couple of trails with spots that had washout spots but should be fine.
There are absolutely some areas of the ouachitas where you can get stuck in mud, where you can get into rocks and get into trouble on some Cliffsides. But yeah that part of the Forrest where people normally are near the highway is pretty tame most of that stuff sees car on it this time of year.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have seen that they are actively doing construction at the end of Holly Mountain trail, which is unfortunate but man I would definitely do the same if I owned the land.
I believe this event however is going to the Holly Creek campground area further north of Holly Mountain trail.
I was told by the ranger that the 3 pads on the very end of holly mnt trail are gonna have cabins buit on em soon. Not everyone goes all the way down the trail because the last 300yards or so is so steep, before the steep part that leads to the cabin pads though there is a pull off campsite area that most people use. On Google maps the cabin site is where the derelict looking building is which they tore down getting ready to build the cabins
Here i am on cabin site #2
20190629_140311.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Yes, Holly Creek on the peninsula right on the water

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

I would like to go, I’m out of San Antonio, TX
This would be my first overlanding experience. What are the dates for this event? Anybody know?

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I would like to go, I’m out of San Antonio, TX
This would be my first overlanding experience. What are the dates for this event? Anybody know?
Friday, Sept 25th - Sunday, Sept 27th. Many coming at different times so check out the Rally Point- location tab for GPS coordinates of Holly Creek campgrounds at Broken Bow :)

atomicode

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

looking at GPS coordinates in gaia - is this part of national forest? It doesn't show up as public land on any of the overlays I'm using.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I'll plan on going. Might have to come out Friday after work.

Reactions: Wilson123