Launch Member

Contributor I

Gambier, OH, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I’m shopping for a new iPad that will be used for Gaia maps (along with other basic functions.)

Assuming I only download maps I need for a particular trip, is the 32 gig iPad big enough?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m shopping for a new iPad that will be used for Gaia maps (along with other basic functions.)

Assuming I only download maps I need for a particular trip, is the 32 gig iPad big enough?
Totally dependent on the coverage area and the layers and zoom level that you want. I’d go bigger just to be safe.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Downloading Gaia maps now; estimate state of Washington, Gaia base map, MVUM maps and USGS topo maps at zoom 15 will take 25-30 gigs.

Be careful! The non-cellular iPad does not have a built in GPS! You will need the cellular model to get a built in GPS! If you have an iPhone you can tether an iPad to it and get GPS from the iPhone but it does not seem to update well and eats the iPhone battery really quickly (and iPhone will get hot). I have tried this with old iPad2 and it just did not work well enough to be usable. Between battery draining while being plugged in, slow GPS updates, iPhone heat and the slow iPad2 it was not worth it. Recently got iPad Pro 11 with 256Gb and cellular and that seems to work well with enough space for extra maps and music.

Reactions: Inkedshooter

Tall Man

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Gambier, OH, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Downloading Gaia maps now; estimate state of Washington, Gaia base map, MVUM maps and USGS topo maps at zoom 15 will take 25-30 gigs.

Be careful! The non-cellular iPad does not have a built in GPS! You will need the cellular model to get a built in GPS! If you have an iPhone you can tether an iPad to it and get GPS from the iPhone but it does not seem to update well and eats the iPhone battery really quickly (and iPhone will get hot). I have tried this with old iPad2 and it just did not work well enough to be usable. Between battery draining while being plugged in, slow GPS updates, iPhone heat and the slow iPad2 it was not worth it. Recently got iPad Pro 11 with 256Gb and cellular and that seems to work well with enough space for extra maps and music.
The benchmark for map size above is very helpful, thanks.

Looks like I’ll have to go with the 128Gig version.

I intend to get the WiFi only version and use Garmin inReach for the gps.

Seems to be a great combination.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The benchmark for map size above is very helpful, thanks.

Looks like I’ll have to go with the 128Gig version.

I intend to get the WiFi only version and use Garmin inReach for the gps.

Seems to be a great combination.
You do not plan on having GPS available to the iPad for moving maps? I don't know of a way to get a handheld to communicate Lat/Lon to the iPad for moving maps (iPhone tether will work but your mileage may vary). Something to consider. Yeah more cost I know; I just dropped way more on an iPad than I wanted to. Was looking at an Alpine touchscreen for the Jeep and realized that I could achieve the same with new iPad and stereo I already have - plus I can take the iPad into the house :)

This winter I got ahold of an Iridium modem and built a system for sat texting much like I assume the InReach does. Posted a thread with details here in case you are interested.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Looking closer to 15-20 gigs for WA. Have to d/l in chunks so hard to say. I'm going for more than WA so cannot give a more exact number.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Garmin inReach uses the Iridium satellite system and Bluetooth connects to tablet.

Excellent video, thanks for sharing. Learned a couple things about Gaia! Did not know that the InReach would send Lat/Lon via Bluetooth - cool! Here is a link to my Iridium silliness. I am pretty new to Gaia and really like it!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I use an Air ll with the Garmin GLO 2 this connects via Bluetooth to the I pad. Just turn it on, locks onto sats right away then it links to the Air 2 with Gaia for real time location, altitude, mapping. It is so sensitive if you move it inside the vehicle you will see the location move on the screen. Runs 13 hours on a charge. Charges while operating via supplied adaptor and USB cable. $99. Works great!A5A879AF-CD66-440F-A1EB-6E08D21489A2.jpegD3017694-4CD5-4DC8-9F94-3E2578C55E56.jpeg

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Another thing to note in case you don't know it is that while you need the cellular iPad to have built in GPS you do not need to activate the cell service. Also with the iPad you can activate the service for short periods of time and then turn it off. The GPS works irregardless of the status of the cellular activation.

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
I use an Air ll with the Garmin GLO 2 this connects via Bluetooth to the I pad. Just turn it on, locks onto sats right away then it links to the Air 2 with Gaia for real time location, altitude, mapping. It is so sensitive if you move it inside the vehicle you will see the location move on the screen. Runs 13 hours on a charge. Charges while operating via supplied adaptor and USB cable. $99. Works great!View attachment 97878View attachment 97881
My setup as well. Works great!!

Reactions: Flipper

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

I use an Air ll with the Garmin GLO 2 this connects via Bluetooth to the I pad. Just turn it on, locks onto sats right away then it links to the Air 2 with Gaia for real time location, altitude, mapping. It is so sensitive if you move it inside the vehicle you will see the location move on the screen. Runs 13 hours on a charge. Charges while operating via supplied adaptor and USB cable. $99. Works great!View attachment 97878View attachment 97881
I went a similar route. I tried using my WiFi iPad with my iPhone but it was way too unreliable. Bought the Glo 2 because I don't have an InReach and it works great. I

Tall Man

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Gambier, OH, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Thanks to all above. Very helpful.

I’m going to get a Glo 2 for my WiFi only iPad.

Used GAIA in the field for the first time yesterday and I’m very happy. It was on my phone so I look forward to seeing it on a larger screen.

Reactions: Flipper and Ubiety

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
My rule is, spending that much, go as big as they make! oh and make sure GPS enabled.

Jim