Boyertown, PA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Mossner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m about to order a 270° awning for my Tacoma regular cab w/ swing out tire carrier(swings to the passenger side). So if you have a PU truck with a swing out tire carrier I’m curious on which side you mounted your awning and why?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Have a Jeep wrangler, but similar situation, tailgate and tire swing to passenger side. have 270 awning on the drivers side so that we can move freely from covered side of rig to the rear where the cooking happens all under cover. windy or crappy weather we install two side walls at the back to protect the cook. At night when tailgate is shut we can pass thru gap between back of rig and side wall panel to access tent. Has worked great so far. Did have concerns about using the awning in a pull out and have it swing out away from traffic, and that most campgrounds are set up for camp area on right side or back, but not an issue, as most of our stays are dispersed so it does not matter, or we simply turn the rig around.. Most important thing is how easy is the awning to use, the ARB on our other rig is a pain and we never use it unless setting up for a longer time and weather is bad the new 270 is so fast we use it on lunch stops.

Just_Logans_Dad

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boyertown, PA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Mossner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Have a Jeep wrangler, but similar situation, tailgate and tire swing to passenger side. have 270 awning on the drivers side so that we can move freely from covered side of rig to the rear where the cooking happens all under cover. windy or crappy weather we install two side walls at the back to protect the cook. At night when tailgate is shut we can pass thru gap between back of rig and side wall panel to access tent. Has worked great so far. Did have concerns about using the awning in a pull out and have it swing out away from traffic, and that most campgrounds are set up for camp area on right side or back, but not an issue, as most of our stays are dispersed so it does not matter, or we simply turn the rig around.. Most important thing is how easy is the awning to use, the ARB on our other rig is a pain and we never use it unless setting up for a longer time and weather is bad the new 270 is so fast we use it on lunch stops.
Awesome thx! I esp like the idea of adding the panels to enclose the cooking area.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a 270 and a rear door that opens to passenger side with my spare mounted on it. I have my awning on the drivers side because I don't have to go around the door/tire to get inside.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
If you have a passenger swing out on the rear then drivers side awning does make the most sense. I love my 23Zero with the side walls....we normally only put on the rear wall for showering/cooking off the back of the rig and that leaves the front part open for viewing. Propane fire pit works great under the awning.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My set up is opposite. Fuel cans swing to driver so everything is passenger.