Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

Made a promise to get outside for day trips / weekend trips more often. We got to focused on long distance trips in 2023 and only really got outside a handful of times. Going to make an effort to get back into hiking, overnight camps, photography, or just plain drive somewhere new.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Regarding less junk food: You can also pick up individual serving sized hummus at the grocery store to pair with celery/carrots; make a batch of boiled eggs (mix salt/pepper/spices in a small Tupperware for easy dipping); pack easy to eat fruits, such as grapes; and make sandwich wraps before departure each day using soft tortillas, cheese, spicy mustard, meat, and some type of crunchy veggies. Keep these, along with drinks, in a small, easily accessible cooler to avoid the temptation of the Golden Arches or the questionable, foil-wrapped stuff under the heat lamp at Love’s Truck Stop. On cross country trips, I pause only long enough for gas and the bathroom during the day because I have all I need close at hand.
As for resolutions, I haven’t made any specific promises to myself (aside from new tires for the truck), but I’ll definitely be on the road 3 or more months this year. There are trails to hike, vistas to behold and interesting people to meet. As @Advtres pointed out, our time to adventure has an expiration date. I hope everyone has a happy and exciting 2024!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Funny I was thinking more fishing too! More long trips and meeting more folks also on the list.
If you haven't been to the Outer Banks, NC, might want to put that on your list. Been in the Fall a couple of times when they open up most all the shore down towards Hatteras and over at Ocracoke to vehicles. (After all the shorebirds have done their thing) Anyway, the real draw ended up being all the fishermen, 1000's, from all over everywhere. Have had some very interesting conversations just hanging out and talking fishing, fish recipes, fishing tackle and such. Ocracoke reminded me of Key West without all the tourists.

Reactions: Viking1204

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Funny I was thinking more fishing too! More long trips and meeting more folks also on the list.
If you haven't been to the Outer Banks, NC, might want to put that on your list. Been in the Fall a couple of times when they open up most all the shore down towards Hatteras and over at Ocracoke to vehicles. (After all the shorebirds have done their thing) Anyway, the real draw ended up being all the fishermen, 1000's, from all over everywhere. Have had some very interesting conversations just hanging out and talking fishing, fish recipes, fishing tackle and such. Ocracoke reminded me of Key West without all the tourists.
Given my extreme fondness for Key West it sounds like it is going on the list!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
I've seen videos of a bait caster cannon for surf fishing. Would that work in your area (east coast) and is it legal?