Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Along the highway we saw all sorts of bears. At the Provincial campsites , there were these corrugated steel rings . We could not figure out what their purpose was nor could we find anyone who knew. These rings were too far from the campsite for a fire ring. Not for garbage because this was bear country .
I’ve seen camps with designated rings to pour off discarded cooking grease/dishwater and other unavoidable smellables in bear country. Always well away from the actual sites, typically caddy corner to bear wire in backcountry sites so when a bear does visit the line between your planned smellables doesn’t run them into your tents. ;)

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I’ve seen camps with designated rings to pour off discarded cooking grease/dishwater and other unavoidable smellables in bear country. Always well away from the actual sites, typically caddy corner to bear wire in backcountry sites so when a bear does visit the line between your planned smellables doesn’t run them into your tents. ;)
We thought that ,but these rings were very close to each campsite so it would be a danger. There were no wires .

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Thanks for the great tips folks. You make me think about me next big question- what do we do for personal safety? Critical with 3 young kids and a small dog.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

We thought that ,but these rings were very close to each campsite so it would be a danger. There were no wires .
Well backcountry is always different than pull in campgrounds. For the pull-ins they sub lockers for wires, and generally deal with more lazy campers. The bears will be in camp, you just want them to follow a predetermined path and not get a reward for their trouble. They do that enough and they generally forage elsewhere.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Thanks for the great tips folks. You make me think about me next big question- what do we do for personal safety? Critical with 3 young kids and a small dog.
Situational awareness and bear spray. The alarm function on your vehicles car fob also works to distract and surprise unwanted visitors.

It's not going to get dark, so you will have the advantage of sight too.

There are a myriad of options and suggestions. Way too many to discuss in this forum, but the fact that you are already considering camp safety and security puts you ahead of the curve.

Reactions: SilverSurferJKU

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
First, I'd make sure that the adults always carry bear spray and the children and the dog not allowed to wander out of sight . The kids could all get a small air horn they could use for signaling and for possible bear protection.
I always walked around each campsite to look for recent bear sign. Situational awareness is your friend .

Canada is not big on self defense and you cannot carry pepper spray for self defense but can have bear spray. When asked at the border if I had bear spray and I replied yes I was reminded that I could not use it for self defense against people.

We only had one instance of dealing with sketchy people and that turned out to be just weird hippy types.

If you don't want to bring bear spray across the border you can that at Canadian Tire . You can get just about anything you have forgotten at Canadian tire . I brought bear spray and air horns with me and augmented my anti-bear arsenal with "bear bangers" .

Bear Bangers are a pen flare that shoots a noise maker towards the bear. They are a deterrent that has a bit of a standoff.

I had firearms with me but I was warned that I could not use them for self defense. Alaska is a different story and I had handguns waiting on me in Tok AK when I crossed.

I hope this helps.

IMG_20191027_101201839.jpgIMG_20191027_101913772.jpg

Reactions: Stickman