Rank II

Contributor III

Campbell County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Vietor
Member #

This is my wife's truck, it our main vehicle we use now. I use it when I want to take my motorbike to random locations and do longer off road loops (primarily scouting to see if this is something the family would enjoy doing).

2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel, crew cab Aisin transmission, 3.42 rear end (I have no desire to regear whatsoever).
AEV Lift, bumper
ARE Commercial Series Aluminum Canopy
Toyo MT 37x12.50R17 tires currently, just finished some BFG KM2's that lasted 29,000 miles
Decked Bed System
Dometic 50CFX Fridge
Aluboxes (these move to my rig when I am using it for trips)

I was getting ready to head out and do a trip up into North Eastern Arizona and North Western New Mexico with a gob of cold weather gear when this Covid-19 stuff started.

Things we plan on doing to the vehicle
-get a winch (I have been dragging my feet on this purchase)
-Alucab rooftop tent with awning
-Power Tank
<edit>-snorkel we really need a snorkel the air filters just get loaded on long dusty roads

We are very happy with this truck, it gets surprisingly amazing range. Oil changes are not for the faint of heart though, they are steep and every other oil change is basically a fuel filter change. To do over again
the debate rages, we initially had a pop up camper Outfitter, but we did not like it on off camber things. We got rid of it and we got a Crux 1200 trailer, which we love. We talk of how a Power Wagon would do
most of these things, but I worry about useful load with all the things we have on this truck. With a one ton, you just don't care, which is nice.

I have not gotten a long range trip with the new tires, but we usually see between 17 and 21 mpg on trips. Attached a picture showing RPMs and fuel consumption on one of my trips with the bike on the back.
This trip was from Havasu (where I live) to Big Water to Kenab to Jacob Lake to Marble Canyon to Flag to home. Just to give some scope of what the drive was like, I don't really pay attention to mileage much
anymore.

Attachments