Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Sorry for getting to this so late. A lot of changes/business over the last couple weeks and the judging ended up on the back burner. As mentioned there are prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
1st Prize = $75 gift certificate to the overlandbound.com store.
2nd Prize = Adventure is Necessary Sticker & OverlandAF Patch (patch donated by me, so don't go looking for it in the store)
3rd Prize = Sticker assortment

Thank you everyone who submitted a project!

On to the results!

First Place
@Glenn with his Trailer Build.
This is quite an involved project, and a well thought out one at that. We are really impressed with the level craftsmanship and attention to detail. Having a trailer that is built to your own specs and suits your exact needs on trail is the essence of DIY. Great job Glenn!

Cost: $1500 in materials

Build Notes:
  • I bought a used utility trailer for $250 then stripped it and put in new axle/tires.
  • Then I welded together a lightweight square tube exoskeleton for tent support.
  • Next we built a 4'x4'x6' box into it with 3/4" plywood.
  • We added a 2x100AH Battery Solar Power Generator which is sufficient to power our charging system for devices, water pump, interior/exterior lighting and a Whynter 65DZ fridge/freezer.
  • We installed a 26 gallon water tank that supplies water to 2 exterior faucets. One is dedicated to our Ecotemp Hot Water Heater and the other is at the rear of the trailer for rinsing and extra fire protection while in camp.
What Glenn had to say about the project after completion:
  • [The build went] better than expected. We bought this old trailer in February and we first camped in it 4 months later and entire project was built outdoors in lawn.
  • If I were to change anything about the build, I’d do an aluminum box instead of wood for weight. Trailer loaded weighs 1700 but still pulls easily on trails.
Pictures:

upload_2019-2-1_8-25-39.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-25-54.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-26-10.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-26-28.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-26-44.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-27-15.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-27-28.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-27-42.png

2nd Place
@Scout with his Bed Cap build.

This was a very close second. Great custom build for the bed of his Tundra

Build Notes: I had to come up with my own design. Figure what material to use. And start cutting and welding. I decided on changes during the process. Made modular frames for mounting RotoPax containers. I also came up with the idea of making the Amish made canvas cover. I can roll up the rear side panels and the back window panel. I made framework for the top to mount a roof basket and modified the frame (bigger) to add an awning(s) and shower accessories at a later date. We can hang battery operated fans for better air flow if the screened windows aren't enough and battery operated lights as well.

Pictures:
upload_2019-2-1_8-40-33.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-40-48.png

3rd Place
@Boucher with his On Board Air/Shower build
This one is a good clean execution. And very useful.

Build Notes: First I created a visi diagram to ensure I covered all steps. Then after gathering all
My parts I found where the best place to
Mount items. The project was hit or miss over the a few years while
I continued to improve my designs. Hardest part of the install
Was cutting my FJ40 for the control panel which allows for an air point a water inlet port and a hot water outlet. Air can be monitored by the gauge . The panel is inset and was made from an old toolbox. Water is able to be retrieved from jerry cans, a stream, or from my Fleetwood Neon off-road trailer.

Pictures:
upload_2019-2-1_8-45-11.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-45-26.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-45-48.png

upload_2019-2-1_8-46-20.png

Once again. Thanks to everyone who participated. This was a great little contest. We got to see some really cool projects. I'd encourage all of you who submitted to post your projects in the DIY section so others can see them and get inspired to build their own.

And if you didn't get your project submitted during this one, no worries. We will definitely be doing this again.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Sorry for getting to this so late. A lot of changes/business over the last couple weeks and the judging ended up on the back burner. As mentioned there are prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
1st Prize = $75 gift certificate to the overlandbound.com store.
2nd Prize = Adventure is Necessary Sticker & OverlandAF Patch (patch donated by me, so don't go looking for it in the store)
3rd Prize = Sticker assortment

Thank you everyone who submitted a project!

On to the results!

First Place
@Glenn with his Trailer Build.
This is quite an involved project, and a well thought out one at that. We are really impressed with the level craftsmanship and attention to detail. Having a trailer that is built to your own specs and suits your exact needs on trail is the essence of DIY. Great job Glenn!

Cost: $1500 in materials

Build Notes:
  • I bought a used utility trailer for $250 then stripped it and put in new axle/tires.
  • Then I welded together a lightweight square tube exoskeleton for tent support.
  • Next we built a 4'x4'x6' box into it with 3/4" plywood.
  • We added a 2x100AH Battery Solar Power Generator which is sufficient to power our charging system for devices, water pump, interior/exterior lighting and a Whynter 65DZ fridge/freezer.
  • We installed a 26 gallon water tank that supplies water to 2 exterior faucets. One is dedicated to our Ecotemp Hot Water Heater and the other is at the rear of the trailer for rinsing and extra fire protection while in camp.
What Glenn had to say about the project after completion:
  • [The build went] better than expected. We bought this old trailer in February and we first camped in it 4 months later and entire project was built outdoors in lawn.
  • If I were to change anything about the build, I’d do an aluminum box instead of wood for weight. Trailer loaded weighs 1700 but still pulls easily on trails.
Pictures:

View attachment 84319

View attachment 84320

View attachment 84321

View attachment 84322

View attachment 84323

View attachment 84324

View attachment 84325

View attachment 84326

2nd Place
@Scout with his Bed Cap build.

This was a very close second. Great custom build for the bed of his Tundra

Build Notes: I had to come up with my own design. Figure what material to use. And start cutting and welding. I decided on changes during the process. Made modular frames for mounting RotoPax containers. I also came up with the idea of making the Amish made canvas cover. I can roll up the rear side panels and the back window panel. I made framework for the top to mount a roof basket and modified the frame (bigger) to add an awning(s) and shower accessories at a later date. We can hang battery operated fans for better air flow if the screened windows aren't enough and battery operated lights as well.

Pictures:
View attachment 84327

View attachment 84328

3rd Place
@Boucher with his On Board Air/Shower build
This one is a good clean execution. And very useful.

Build Notes: First I created a visi diagram to ensure I covered all steps. Then after gathering all
My parts I found where the best place to
Mount items. The project was hit or miss over the a few years while
I continued to improve my designs. Hardest part of the install
Was cutting my FJ40 for the control panel which allows for an air point a water inlet port and a hot water outlet. Air can be monitored by the gauge . The panel is inset and was made from an old toolbox. Water is able to be retrieved from jerry cans, a stream, or from my Fleetwood Neon off-road trailer.

Pictures:
View attachment 84329

View attachment 84330

View attachment 84331

View attachment 84332

Once again. Thanks to everyone who participated. This was a great little contest. We got to see some really cool projects. I'd encourage all of you who submitted to post your projects in the DIY section so others can see them and get inspired to build their own.

And if you didn't get your project submitted during this one, no worries. We will definitely be doing this again.
Congrats to all the winners!!! Great work and creativity!!!

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Sweet! This made our day. Thanks so much for the time and efforts in putting this contest together Chris. Its awesome to get to see DIY projects that save us all a few bucks and give the personal touch to our gear. We are excited and ready for an Overland Bound shopping spree!
Thanks to all who participated!
Resized_20180617_124622_9819.jpg

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Awesome and congrats to you and your wife, Glenn. And to you too Boucher. I hope to have my bed "topper" totally completed this spring/summer..Thank you Chris for having a cool DIY contest..