Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

My '02 Trooper desperately needs new tires (I bought it knowing that). Paid $1800 for the rig w/154,500 miles on it. Runs well, but has a ton of rust (this is Michigan, afterall...).

I'm not sure I'll install a lift on it, but IF I do it'll be 1-2" max. Don't need more for what I'm gonna do around here.

So...tires. Will be going from the stock size 245/70R16 to 265/75R16. Seems as though that's the most popular size for the Troopers.

Knowing that I'm not gonna be holding on to this beast forever...not with as much rust as she has on her...and I don't wanna pour money into something with a fairly short life span ahead of her...I'm tempted to get a less-expensive tire like this Trailfinder All Terrain, instead of something about 35 bucks per tire more, like this Cooper Discoverer AT3.

What direction would you go? Again...not wanting to pour too much money into this beast, but NEED new tires. Have some other maintenance issues that need to be done right away as well, which is another reason to save the money on tires.

OR...do I stick with the stock 245/70R16 size? The cost difference between the same tire in 245/70R16 and 265/75R16 is about 5 bucks per tire.

Thanks!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If you think that you are going to use the vehicle for long enough to go through a set of tires then I wouldn't try to save money on them. Get something good that will work well like the AT3 or KO2. If you are only playing with the rig for a year or so and plan to junk it soon then yeah, don't spend the money.

Reactions: Andy G

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

If you think that you are going to use the vehicle for long enough to go through a set of tires then I wouldn't try to save money on them. Get something good that will work well like the AT3 or KO2. If you are only playing with the rig for a year or so and plan to junk it soon then yeah, don't spend the money.
Hey Chris, I had a feeling you'd jump in!

That's honestly the direction I'm leaning...bought the Trooper because I NEEDED a vehicle, and instead of a sedan I found this one for $1800. Within the next 18-24 months there will be a new 4Runner in my driveway...and this one will be long gone when that happens.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

You might also keep an eye out for some good AT3s or KO2s or whatever with around 50-60% tread left. Should be able to get em for a song. wish you weren't so far away, I'd steal some parts from you when your done with it.

Reactions: Andy G