Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Llorente
Hi All!

This is my 2001 4WD/AWD RAV4, been in the family since new.

Stock suspension, does fine on the novice and moderate OHV park trails in my area with the 4cyl... but certainly do have to watch that approach angle. An old man emu 1.5-2" lift is on the long list of wants...

No performance mods or bolt ons, other than the 235/70/16 AT General Grabbers on 16x6.5 stock Toyota steelies from a Camry (5x114.3 / 5x4.5).

Has a universal CURT Roof Rack, CURT Tow Hitch with recovery points, and a couple of shackles up front in the stock tie down locations (only option without fabrication).

Slowly acquiring the essential overland gear for planned father/son off-road camping excursions this spring and summer.

For now, we throw the 36" hi-lift in the trunk - It's too large and heavy to side mount on the rack... so thinking maybe a hood mount, or attaching to the spare (but that's a lot more weight on the rear door). Open to your ideas.

IMG-3801.jpg

IMG-3783.jpgIMG-3784.jpg

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

For now, we throw the 36" hi-lift in the trunk - It's too large and heavy to side mount on the rack... so thinking maybe a hood mount, or attaching to the spare (but that's a lot more weight on the rear door). Open to your ideas.
Cool rig. I've gone the complete opposite route size wise but there's a guy at work who runs an old Sammi that I'm quite taken with, I do think these small rigs can be built out pretty nicely.

As for storage, a custom rear bumper with weight bearing swing outs would do. As far as cost goes (if that's an issue) random one offs may be pricy but you could always look at it as a way to invest in your experience. Van bumpers can easily reach upwards of $3k, but I taught myself how to weld with a cheap thrown away mig-welder (though admittedly I have nicer equipment now) and I've built myself a comparable dual swing out bumper for about $300 in materials. Fabrication is always a useful skill to have, it can even turn an expensive hobby into a paying hobby

I can't see the rear of your Rav4 but if the pillars can be tapped into you might be able to make a simple swing out that bolts to them. Jeep YJ leaf spring bushings are great for cheap quiet pivots, a few companies even make tire carriers based off of those. Such as below:
RTC-Bushing-on-carrier__35093.1503098923.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: CDL

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Ditch the hi lift for a bottle jack, you don't have any sliders or steel bumpers and a bottle jack is smaller anyway. Safer too...

Stance looks sweet, that Rav should definitely get you off the beaten path!

Reactions: Alanymarce

CDL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Llorente
... I taught myself how to weld with a cheap thrown away mig-welder (though admittedly I have nicer equipment now) and I've built myself a comparable dual swing out bumper for about $300 in materials. Fabrication is always a useful skill to have, it can even turn an expensive hobby into a paying hobby"
You've inspired me ! I'm gonna get a cheap mig and start practicing. Been watching a lot of DIY rock slider builds, since there's nothing off the shelf for these RAV4s.

Ditch the hi lift for a bottle jack, you don't have any sliders or steel bumpers and a bottle jack is smaller anyway. Safer too...

Stance looks sweet, that Rav should definitely get you off the beaten path!
Yea, I think your're right... went to my first OB local meet and this was the general sentiment.

Shopping for a bottle jack now, lol.

Hi-lift was still worth the purchase... rebuilt my fence and used it to pull the old concrete footers out. so easy using the 'farm jack.'