1st gen Taco build

• HTML tutorial

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Figured it would be a good time to start a build thread since I just got started about a month ago...

By the way, this was all prompted by my own stupidity in my inability to provide enough stopping distance between my front end and the rear end of the clown car(Hyundai) in front of me which lightly damaged my brush guard, yet totaled said clown car as illustrated by the picture below(mine).
IMG_6375.JPG

This lead to me finally biting the bullet on that ARB bull bar I’ve been eyeballing for the last 15 years, a definite improvement...
IMG_6407.JPG

Debated on several vehicles for this purpose and ultimately decided to use my 04 double cab SR5 Tacoma for several reasons:

Pro’s
-already had one(haha)
-super light/durable truck
-engine bay more conducive to engine swaps than newer models
-love the profile and overall look of the 1st gen.
-tight, but ample room for family of 5
-only 130k total miles (engine rebuilt at 80k for project)
-interior is comfortable and still like new

Cons
- small truck, limits cargo capacity (~1400lbs)
-small fuel tank requiring further logistical support
-3.4L v6 doesn’t have the power
-still a 15 year old truck (parts/plastics are getting brittle)

I have come up with ways to address a few of the con’s. The fuel capacity was one of my biggest issues so I wanted to address that first. I have a custom fabricator currently building an auxiliary SS 40 gal fuel tank mounted in the under bed spare tire location. This, coupled with my 15gal stock tank will total 55 gal of on board fuel and only add 8 lbs of vehicle weight and ~250lbs of fuel weight. I estimate this extends my range to roughly 800+ miles in mild off-road conditions, eliminating the need for multiple external fuel cans. Next, was the power issue. I found an aluminum Lexus V8 (1UZFE) which can be successfully swapped into the engine bay, upping my stock hp of 190 to 300 while still being able to use my stock DS/axle. This should also increase my fuel economy from ~16mpg, to ~25 and extending my range to roughly 1000 miles (all subject to change according to GVW when finished).

Next was to address the age of the truck. I bought several kits of raptor liner in black and metallic grey and will be “repainting” the vehicle in grey with black accent pieces to protect the new plastics from the sun-which will look very similar to this(NOT MY TRUCK)
IMG_5188.JPG

To address the cargo capacity, I opted for the 58 inch RCI half height bed rack which will carry the tuff stuff ranger RTT and recovery equipment/tools mounted to the side plates. (Being built now) IMG_6462.JPG

Since I had to relocate the spare tire, I went with 4xinnovations rear bumper with tire swing, hi lift jack mount, dual water can mount(specific to sentry military water cans), and fold down table. They also make a killer set of weld/bolt on rock sliders and are very reasonably priced. I went for the weld on for the strength and no need to worry about bolt corrosion. All of which will be powder coated black. will update bumper picture when finished
IMG_6394.JPG

Will add to as the build progresses.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Figured it would be a good time to start a build thread since I just got started about a month ago...
Next, was the power issue. I found an aluminum Lexus V8 (1UZFE) which can be successfully swapped into the engine bay, upping my stock hp of 190 to 300 while still being able to use my stock DS/axle. This should also increase my fuel economy from ~16mpg, to ~25 and extending my range to roughly 1000 miles (all subject to change according to GVW when finished).
@Boomer82

Sounds like it'll be one hell of a build! I'll be following along on the Engine swap, I love the V8 in my 4runner. Have you considered the Tundra Brake Swap? ( https://www.customtacos.com/forum/13-performance/76847-tundra-brake-caliper-upgrade-write-up-s13we.html ) Should help with stopping after adding the additional accessory weight.

Boort

Reactions: Boomer82

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
@Boomer82

Sounds like it'll be one hell of a build! I'll be following along on the Engine swap, I love the V8 in my 4runner. Have you considered the Tundra Brake Swap? ( https://www.customtacos.com/forum/13-performance/76847-tundra-brake-caliper-upgrade-write-up-s13we.html ) Should help with stopping after adding the additional accessory weight.

Boort
Great idea, and goes along nicely with another idea I had in swapping out my IFS w a T100 which will supposedly double my articulation (still researching this concept)

Reactions: DennisTheMenice

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Ran into a snag with the bedrack. Since it was the “universal” rack, it isn’t really set up for the thin walls of the first gen and hangs over the side by 3/4 of an inch. I have a guy machining spacers this week so should have it installed by Friday. IMG_6532.JPGIMG_6533.JPG

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Due to having multiple issues with the “universal” bed rack, and worrying about securing my gear when not around the vehicle, I’ve decided to go another route and have a custom camper shell made by tradesman truck tops. Will likely be a couple of months before I can continue the build progress. More to follow...

Natenite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

How did the sliders come out? You mention family do 5, are you planning to use this for a 5 person family? I’m in the same boat with the same truck, without 4wd though. Trying to gather ideas and info on building it out for family road trips.

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
How did the sliders come out? You mention family do 5, are you planning to use this for a 5 person family? I’m in the same boat with the same truck, without 4wd though. Trying to gather ideas and info on building it out for family road trips.
They came out awesome. Just got them back from powder coat the other day and getting ready to mount them right now. And yes, it’s for a family of five. Our three kids are Five, three, and two months, so they should fit back there fairly comfortable for a while still.

Natenite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

Do you have any info on the custom fuel tank you had made? I’m intrigued by that! Do you have to flip a switch to change between tanks or did you connect them somehow?

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Do you have any info on the custom fuel tank you had made? I’m intrigued by that! Do you have to flip a switch to change between tanks or did you connect them somehow?
It’s not been made yet. Wanted to get the tire swing on first to clear the area under the bed. Prob start on it in the next week or two. Plan on having a saddle tank switch in place to switch between the two.

Reactions: Natenite

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
I thought I replied but apparently not. Sorry man. The tank hasn’t been built yet. We are just starting that project. I’ll keep the updates comin.

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
IMG_7112.JPGIMG_7113.JPG

Made some more progress this week. Sliders are mounted and the reverse lights are installed and hope to get them wired in this week. We start the auxiliary fuel tank next [emoji16]

Reactions: Boort and Chuckem12