1993 Jeep Cherokee sport high output

• HTML tutorial

JonathanMColeman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

This is my very first build with the mindset of going long distances on highway to then go down trails. I will update this thread as I get work accomplished on it. I found this Jeep for sale on Facebook and they wanted originally $1,000 for it. So I drove down to New Orleans to pick it up when I got there it runs and drives just fine but none of the gauges on the dash work nor does the radio. considering that the owner of the vehicle is a high schooler and he put the radio in himself I had a sneaking suspicion that that was the issue on why the radio wasn't working as for the dash I was completely unsure. It wasn't until yesterday that I found out what the cause was for both. They wired the power for the radio into the fuse box under the dashboard through the instrument cluster fuse. It was too much amperage for a 7.5 amp fuse and it blew so all I have done to the vehicle since I've got it is icy phone the motor so it cleans out all the passages makes it all nice turn off oil change and unplugged the radio and undid the cross wiring so that dash gauges work.

I'm open to suggestions on how y'all think I should move forward with this because I'm completely new to this. As of this moment things that I want to add to it are a better front bumper better wheels a solid roof rack and better tires any other suggestions I'm open to hearingIMG_20190216_152826.jpeg

Reactions: DennisTheMenice

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
This is my very first build with the mindset of going long distances on highway to then go down trails. I will update this thread as I get work accomplished on it. I found this Jeep for sale on Facebook and they wanted originally $1,000 for it. So I drove down to New Orleans to pick it up when I got there it runs and drives just fine but none of the gauges on the dash work nor does the radio. considering that the owner of the vehicle is a high schooler and he put the radio in himself I had a sneaking suspicion that that was the issue on why the radio wasn't working as for the dash I was completely unsure. It wasn't until yesterday that I found out what the cause was for both. They wired the power for the radio into the fuse box under the dashboard through the instrument cluster fuse. It was too much amperage for a 7.5 amp fuse and it blew so all I have done to the vehicle since I've got it is icy phone the motor so it cleans out all the passages makes it all nice turn off oil change and unplugged the radio and undid the cross wiring so that dash gauges work.

I'm open to suggestions on how y'all think I should move forward with this because I'm completely new to this. As of this moment things that I want to add to it are a better front bumper better wheels a solid roof rack and better tires any other suggestions I'm open to hearingView attachment 89958
Nice find. I'd start with tires and lifts then move on to armour (sliders first). Only say this from not doing it myself. [emoji41] I learned the hard way that a flat in death valley is no fun to change and slipping in a ditch put a dent on the side that sliders would have prevented.

Look forward to seeing more of your build.

Reactions: JonathanMColeman

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

You are off to a good start with the Jeep you have and the mods you are thinking. HappyOurOverlanding, is correct on the sliders. The best mod you can do is spend some money on gas and just drive it, exploring close by, camping out in it and go from there. I find that the simple builds are sometimes the best. See what you need first by experiencing it for yourself. After you know your “needs” to wheel safely and do what you need it to do, then move on to the “wants” ! Sure there are are lots of great things to buy out there, and people willing to take your hard earned money, but why go that route? As you have said, this forum is a great place to learn what others have done, what works what doesn’t. Again just get out and start wheeling with friends and go from there! Vance.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I recently purchased a XJ myself with the a similar goal. Camping, light trails, etc.

My first suggestion would piggy back above. First drive it. Then maintenance, and ensure she’s rocking and rolling before investing in costly aftermarket stuff.

Check out thecherokeeforum.com and naxja forum. TONS of solid xj related information on those.

Also, agreeing with above suggestion, yiu can keep it simple and mild. I’m in the progress of doing an “upcountry” lift. Which is about 1.5 inches over stock. All I will need for where I plan to go.

Good luck! Lokingfl forward to seeing how it goes.

Reactions: JonathanMColeman

JonathanMColeman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Well had a very good start to today.
Facebook marketplace just to look around found a guy giving away rims and tires that will fit my Jeep. So I wouldn't pick them up the rims are in fantastic condition in the tires are low on tread but there is still some tread on it. They're 31 by 10.5 by 15 mud terrains I will upload a picture once I get back home. I do plan to repaint the rims cuz the paint that's on them is starting to flake off