1991 Jeep Cherokee 2 door

• HTML tutorial

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

I have recently bought a very well used 1991 Jeep XJ in hopes of building up an overland dedicated rig. The little Jeep needs a lot of TLC. I bought it with a newer used 4.0 engine already in and a three inch lift with unknown spacers and skyjacker hydro shocks. The fan works (XJ owners know about that). So far I gutted it out and found that the inside had already been bed lined. The years of rats and no telling what living it had left the back seat disgusting and in no shape to stay in so I pulled it out for good. I pulled the trim in the back and fixed the dash up front and found the floor pan is rusted out on the driver side so Im going to fab a new one and replace it. Going back to the heart of the rig the power steering pump came bone dry and so did the radiator and the brakes on the front were locked up. After a day of running through the lines and filling fluids and two new brake calipers and pads up front, the jeep is running great and can stop. Next up Im going to replace a few more parts under the hood, a new passenger side window and then fix that ugly spray bombed camo job that the previous owner put on. Ill keep this post updated through out the whole build, input from other XJ owners is also welcome and would be appreciated. IMG_1190.jpgIMG_1191.jpgIMG_1202.jpgIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1196.jpgIMG_1195.jpg

Reactions: Pedretti8

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Welcome from a fellow Cherokee owner, keep us up to date as the build progresses

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Today I was able to paint my grill and brush guard and bed liner my hood, I went black to cut back the glare and make make it durable and easy to touch up since the hood gets lifted a lot. I found a green that I liked that kind of reminds me of an old safari jeep (getting rid of the spray bomb camo soon I hope). The rust on the body was ruff, Ive done my best to get it smooth out but between the pitting and the dozen paint layers it has some rough spots. On the inside I drilled new mounting bolts for my seats since the floor pan has rusted out. I still don't know if Im going to put the plastic trim back in or try and make some stained wood panels. The weather here isn't going to be to good so Ill have to post some more on tuesday. IMG_1211.jpgIMG_1215.jpgIMG_1212.jpgIMG_1216.jpg

Attachments

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Did some more painting yesterday and I found a bigger hole in the driver side floor pan, good thing my new floor pan came in yesterday and was able to install today. Im hoping that my new rig will be done by next weekend. IMG_1220.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1227.jpg

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1248.jpg I have finished the painting of the jeep (it took soooo long), I have cleaned up the inside a ton more and putting mounting spots and a folding shelf in the back, I hope to soon have a platform with a sliding tray. Engine wise I have put an oil catcher in and took the box intake out and replaced it with a washable foam filter. The Radiator was in so clogged that I had to get another one, the power steering has been replaced. Future projects are hopefully going to be in seat and headliner fabric, roof mounted rack, skids, and a full size spare tire. So much still to do but its well worth it. I did get to go on a small trail ride and the jeep did great.

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

A few trips already in the "newish" jeep I have had no problems under the hood, just need to locate some new tires and a roof rack. I have looked around on the forum and some on google and I have come up with an idea for a storage tray or thing. So for the past couple days I have been building the said tray thing for the back out of wood and Im wanting to put carpet or some paint with hinged doors and a spot for the high lift since I can't mount out side yet. If anyone has any ideas or tips please feel free t0 say something. Also I uploaded a picture of a piece of BIC pen holding my old radiator line in place to the cap. IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1266.jpg

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

How are the body mounts? With the floors looking like that I would think some mounts are shaky as well. Before I loaded her up with weight I would want to be sure. Looking good so far, you got your hands full ! :wink:

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

How are the body mounts? With the floors looking like that I would think some mounts are shaky as well. Before I loaded her up with weight I would want to be sure. Looking good so far, you got your hands full ! :wink:
The mounts are ok but just about all the bushings and rubber boots are dry rotted, and yeah its turning into a very memorable project haha.

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Took the safari jeep on its first extended trip, the jeep did great on the trail (meaning nothing fell off of it haha). I got to use the storage system in the back plus my new to me steering wheel and lift gate struts. Pulling wise I need to regear for better pulling since the quad comes along on most of the trips. My next upgrades will hopefully be tires and steering upgrades. IMG_1329.JPGIMG_1331.JPGIMG_1360.JPG

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Its been a while since Ive posted on here, its been busy. Since last post I have upgraded the steering stabilizer and removed the front and rear sway bars. Ive got new pacer 15'' D style wheels with General Grabbers Red letter tires 31X10.5. Recently Ive taken the little jeep out to Uwharrie National Park for a camping trip with some friends along with trail wheeling. The safari jeep did great but I see a new oil pan gasket and rear main seal in the next week. I have a snorkel ready for install when I find the time. Ill keep up with the build and Im going to fill it up with new pictures.