1990 Yota Pickup - AverageTanner's Build

• HTML tutorial

AverageTanner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Dripping Springs
Member #

Still pretty new here, so I figured I'd let yall in on my build. I've been working on my rig for about 6 months now so I've got a lot to catch up on so I'll start from the beginning.

I bought a 1990 Toyota Pickup from my buddy who quit working on his 'project' in the middle of a SAS. When I bought it he had most of the parts to finish the SAS but didn't have the motivation because he had other toys taking up his time. The donor axle is from an '85 Yota and obviously the first thing I did was complete the swap. I'm terrible about taking pictures, and the pictures that I did take were lost on my old phone, so the oldest picture I have is right after the swap was complete and I painted the front bumper and grille.

Next step was trying to find a camper. I've always thought that commercial service campers would make a great camper for overlanding due to their storage potential, and I found a pretty used one in San Antonio, talked the guy down to $300, and threw it on my bed. Like I said, it's pretty beat up, but compared to a new A.R.E with the same options, I think I got it for about 1/10th the price and it fits pretty good (camper was made for a 95+ Taco). I got two keys for all the locks and both work, so can't complain about that either!

After I got the camper I started working on additional lighting on the back and making the toolboxes more functional for what I wanted. I got a tool chest from work that we were throwing away that fit perfectly in one of my side boxes with some slight modification. So after work one day I made it fit and organized my sockets/wrenches/other tools.

After this, I decided to finally get rid of the O'Reilly shit racing seat that my buddy installed on the drivers side when he was in high school and though it was cool. I decided on a newer Ford Ranger 60/40 split bench, so I shaved the Ranger to sit lower than it normally would and fabbed up some crossover mounts for the seat. I could only get the drivers side with the center part, so that's all I've done so far. The seat has been in for a while now and it's MUCH more comfortable than that shitty racing seat!

Racing seat mounts

Ranger seat mounts

Ranger seat in the Yota

Also, somewhere in there I built some door panels out of some black aluminum diamond plate and upgraded the sound system with a double din touch screen/10" Kicker sub/amp under the passenger seat.

My buddy, who also sold me this truck, has a 2017 Taco that is stock and came with side steps that he didn't want, so I measured them real quick and he sold them to me for $100. Once again, headed to the fab shop at work and knocked out some crossover brackets (three per side).

That brings it up to date for the most part... The camper and all the tools and stuff that I normally carry has the rear leafs in a somewhat squatted position so this weekend I will be adding a leaf to the 64" Chevy leafs I have back there.

I'm planning a four day camping trip to Padre Island National Seashore with the girlfriend and three dogs, so I'm trying to get it ready for that. Making sure I have proper recovery gear etc. We will probably be camping on the ground this time, but I'm kind of torn between building my own tent that is incorporated with my camper (my design works and would look very similar to the Wildernest how it folds out and you would be able to stand inside the camper) or just buying a roof top tent. I am a good enough fabricator to build it and have the design drawn out for how it would fold out and everything, just need to sit down and add up the weight of the materials that I will be using and see how heavy it's going to be sitting on top and see if it's comparable to one I can buy. There's also the issue of the fact that I've never sewed anything in my life and would have to figure out where to get a heavy duty tent material and then how the hell to put it together and make it waterproof.

Anyways, I'm excited to be on here and look forward to more builds so I can get some more ideas haha!

Last edited:

AverageTanner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Dripping Springs
Member #

Love it, which engine is in there? And sweet Bubbles sticker on the back.
Haha thanks man, it's got a 3.0 in it for now... pervious owner had the head gaskets go out and fixed some time around 100k miles. I'll probably be rolling past 150k in the next couple weeks. Planning a swap but still undecided. I'm torn between the easy route (3.4 Toyota 5VZFE) or the cool route (Mercedes Turbo diesel OM617).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Haha thanks man, it's got a 3.0 in it for now... pervious owner had the head gaskets go out and fixed some time around 100k miles. I'll probably be rolling past 150k in the next couple weeks. Planning a swap but still undecided. I'm torn between the easy route (3.4 Toyota 5VZFE) or the cool route (Mercedes Turbo diesel OM617).

Yeah we had the same issue, replaced it 20k ago, didnt even know about the 3.4 at the time, but if we keep it maintained it should last. Previous owner never got a tune up in 24 yrs.....

AverageTanner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Dripping Springs
Member #

Yeah we had the same issue, replaced it 20k ago, didnt even know about the 3.4 at the time, but if we keep it maintained it should last. Previous owner never got a tune up in 24 yrs.....
I'm sure mine will last another 150k... I just don't think I can deal with the lack of power and fuel economy for that long. Not that the OM617 would do that much better than what I already have, but at least I can expect 20+mpg. Right now with 35's I get about 12!

Reactions: Raseru

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

Great looking build you have going. What's in the axles? I had an 86 for years on 35's with 5.29's and Detroits. Used to get 18 around town and 20ish on the freeway. That was with a very tweaked 22R though.

AverageTanner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Dripping Springs
Member #

Great looking build you have going. What's in the axles? I had an 86 for years on 35's with 5.29's and Detroits. Used to get 18 around town and 20ish on the freeway. That was with a very tweaked 22R though.
I need gears bad, that's part of the problem... I still have stock 4.10s. Will be going with 5.29s, but not until I can afford to lock it. So many plans... not enough money or time!

Reactions: 300WMTUCK