Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
I've had a fair number of project rigs, ranging from Jeeps to Land Cruisers and 4Runners, but there's been one in particular that I've wanted for a long time and was only recently able to get one of my own: a Willys Wagon. As the post title implies, I was finally able to get one! The one I picked up, again as the title would suggest, was a 1953. It had been sitting for all told around 40 to 50 of its 71 years of life. The previous owner had purchased it in an attempt to bring it back to life, but realized he didn't have the time to put into it that it would need. Because of that, he had partially dismantled it already, removing the engine, transmission, and transfer case intending to rebuild all 3. He only got the engine rebuilt, though, which I think speaks to his good intentions. Here's some photos from the day I brought it home:

20240213_101950.jpg20240213_104313.jpg20240213_104322.jpg

Upon getting it in the garage, I needed to take stock of what condition everything was in, what parts the previous owner had included, and make some decisions on what my final vision for the build would be. The first order of business would be deciding whether to put the stock drivetrain back in, or to swap it with something else. The stock motor is an F134 Hurricane, which despite its exciting name puts out a measly 72 horsepower. I'm very familiar with the engine and its performance, having daily driven my 1958 CJ-5 for 2 years. It conveniently has the exact same engine, transmission, transfer case, and axles as the Wagon, which gave me plenty of experience both with how the F134 performs and how to work on it. While I really do love the F134 in my CJ-5, part of its charm for that platform comes from the fact that it's about 2000lbs lighter than the Wagon, and is also too short for me feel safe running it at highway speeds even if it were capable of that. The Wagon, however, is something I'd like to be able to drive on road trips, not just in town. A few days after buying my Wagon, a friend of mine who has one similar, just a few years newer, but with the same engine in it let me drive his, which sealed the deal. The F134 was not for me. So out it came! The previous owner had loaded it and the transmission and transfer case in the back of the Wagon, which meant I needed to pull them out to get the project rolling.
20240216_092613.jpg20240216_092616.jpg

From what I could tell the F134 was very well rebuilt, which makes it great for either spare parts, or to hold on for a later project (either another early CJ-5 or a flat fender of some variety). With those out, I was able to sort through what was in the rig, which seemed to be all the parts that were missing from the interior and engine compartment. After some research, I decided to go with the tried and true small block Chevy engine swap. The idea being that there's a lot of parts support for not just the engine family, but for the swap itself. Additionally, it gives plenty of room to grow, should I want to upgrade it. However, I don't want to break axles, and since upgraded axles are not in the budget this year, I decided to get the cheapest, lowest power SBC that I could find. The idea being that it would allow me to upgrade later, once I have better axles, but provide some more power now. What I ended up finding was a Chevy 305 out of an early 80s C10 for $300. That certainly fits all of the requirements I was looking for, and the one I got was complete for that price to boot. And conveniently, it fit in the back of my Wrangler!
20240217_155730.jpg20240217_171932.jpg

Engine acquired, I started work on the 12v and total rewire of the Wagon. Aside from its being 6v when I purchased it, after having sat for decades, there had been no shortage of rodents in it (which necessitated a thorough cleaning in the interior). What little insulation remained on the wiring was cracked and brittle, and I didn't trust any of it. So I started into a Painless Performance wiring harness, as well as adding a few necessary upgrades, such as a turn signal switch and electric wiper motor.

20240302_135135.jpg20240302_135153.jpg20240302_135130.jpg

Additionally, I needed to replace the broken brake lights, which was a pretty simple job, and greatly improved the looks of the Wagon when done.
20240302_161638.jpg20240302_161748.jpg

A neat discovery was what this little mechanism on the dash was. Titled the Mico Lever Lock, it's essentially an old fashioned line lock. While the Spicer 18 transfer case could be optioned with, and often was optioned with a parking brake on the rear driveshaft, my Wagon did not get that. Instead, it got a common dealer installed accessory which, when activated, holds pressure in the brake lines. It functions for both front and rear brakes, too, which makes it a very sturdy parking brake when all is functioning how it should.

20240302_165212.jpg

While this was all happening, my new wheels and tires arrived, which was an easy win in the project. I went with 255/85r16 Falken Wildpeak MTs. Aside from my general preference of tall/skinny tires on older rigs, the rather narrow nature of the rear wheel wells meant that I would need to either do a lot of lift or find a tire that fits in the wheel well. As hoped, the tires do in fact fit, if just barely, inside the wheel wells, which means I can keep a bit of a lower center of gravity with the new setup. I had planned to wait to install them until I got the lift kit and installed it (it's currently on an egregious shackle lift which amounts to bar steel with holes drilled for the springs and spring mounts) but I'm impatient and couldn't wait, so here's the results:
20240306_170832.jpg20240306_171049.jpg20240307_101934.jpg20240307_105116.jpgDSC_1583.jpg

Next up was some engine prep. Aside from not wanting to deal with EGR, I wanted to save as much space in the engine compartment as I could, so I went with a set of shorty headers from Novak. Additionally, I switched to an HEI distributor, as the most common issue with these swaps is not having enough room for the distributor on the firewall. The shorter cap of an HEI setup usually fixes that. Don't worry about the length of the spark plug wires, they'll get shortened once the engine is in the bay. I ran the engine on the stand to time it and didn't want to cut them before I know for sure how I'll route them. One thing I learned while trying to time the engine was that it's got a bad carburetor. I've never been super fond of the quadrajets, and the prices for new carbs and/or rebuild kits sealed it for me. I went with an adapter and an Edelbrock instead. Long term I'd like to run a Holley Sniper, but again, the goal for now is just running and driving, so that can wait.

20240323_130458.jpg20240323_130501.jpg20240323_130547.jpg20240323_130553.jpg20240324_110813.jpg20240324_110817.jpg20240324_110946.jpg

Just in time for the weekend, the rest of my drivetrain arrived! I'd ordered an SM420, Dana 18 with Tera Low gears (3.15:1 low range versus the stock 2.46:1) and an overdrive unit from Herm the Overdrive Guy in Washington. The end result with this is going to be a whopping 119:1 low range while on 33" tires. When I upgrade the axles I'll certainly be going to higher gears than the stock 5.38s, as those are wildly overkill with a v8, but for now they'll work. And I'll even theoretically be able to hit 70mph with the 30% overdrive at about 2800rpm or so. I won't be doing much at that speed, as the 5.38s will have the transfer case and axles spinning way faster than they are good for, but the option will be there if necessary.

20240404_110758.jpg

Ever unable to stick with one thing at a time, I started into the glass replacement and was able to get all be the door windows and windshield done. No more bullet holes now!
20240311_171040.jpg20240311_171043.jpg20240330_150048.jpg20240330_150057.jpg

My further wiring work revealed even more reason to rewire everything: absolutely terrifying butt splices consisting of nothing more than twisted wiring covered by electrical tape.
20240406_112615.jpg20240406_115606.jpg

Finally, I got the hanging pedals mounted up. The stock setup for all 3 pedals has them pushing through the floor. That's fine for the gas pedal, as there's plenty of throttle linkages setup to work with that (and I got a Lokar pedal to replace it anyway that will work via cable while still pushing through the floor), but not so much for the clutch and brakes. There have been some people who have had success adapting the clutch linkage to non-stock transmissions, but it's complex. I found it much easier to just do a hydraulic swap which reduces all of that complexity. As for the brakes, the stock setup has the brake master cylinder mounted on the frame, right where the exhaust runs stock. Just about any exhaust setup I'll run will also have a pipe running there, and even under stock setups the fluid is known to boil from its proximity to the exhaust. So once again, it's easier and safer to just move the master cylinder to the firewall (turns out there's a reason modern cars made that switch). The pedal arms I got were able to utilize the stock pedals, which after a new set of pedal pads look like new.
20240303_110536.jpg
20240406_183321.jpg

That's all the progress I've made so far, and I apologize for the length of the post. This is 2 months of work all at once, and in the future I'll make sure to just update as things happen. I'm excited to get it done, though, and it's going to be a very fun rig, I think. Time will only tell, though. My goal is to have it all buttoned up in the next couple months, but we'll see if my abilities match my ambition.

Attachments

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

This project is on my dream list, but unlikely to ever happen.
You may think the 119 crawl ratio is overkill. That’s what I originally thought about the 246 ratio in my CJ7. (Ford NP435, Klune 4:1 underdrive, Dana 300, 3:54 axle ratio on 33’s)
Being on narrow track axles, it’s nice being able to crawl in off-camber situations, along with not having to over use the clutch while rock crawling.

Reactions: Hallout

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Normally I'd say some silly crap like "Stop the Awsomeness"
But don't.
Looks amazing and I'm subscribed.
Zim
I don't intend to stop, if anything I need to get moving faster. I've given myself a pretty tight deadline and I still have a lot of work left, lol. It's entirely possible that I'm overestimating my skills/ability to get it done by the end of May, but I'm going to continue operatiing like I'm not until I'm proven wrong in June.

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Nice.
That's been on my bucket list to build for quite a while.
A Wagon build has been on my dream list for a while, and a reenlistment bonus this year brought it into reach finally. It's been a lot of fun so far building it, so hopefully it's just as fun to drive when it's done.

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
This project is on my dream list, but unlikely to ever happen.
You may think the 119 crawl ratio is overkill. That’s what I originally thought about the 246 ratio in my CJ7. (Ford NP435, Klune 4:1 underdrive, Dana 300, 3:54 axle ratio on 33’s)
Being on narrow track axles, it’s nice being able to crawl in off-camber situations, along with not having to over use the clutch while rock crawling.
I didn't think it was going to happen either, given the difficulty of the project, cost of the Wagon itself, and overall cost of the project, but I decided to just jump both feet in this year on it, and we'll see how it plays out. Entirely possible I'm in over my head and I don't know it yet, but we're going to keep swimming in denial like a hippo in Egypt, lol.
As for the crawl ratio, I totally hear you on it being useful to have that deeper ratio, but not at the expense of having 5.38s on 33s. The poor 2 piece Dana 44 was really not meant to spin those kinds of speeds (aka at 70ish mph) for long, and I don't want to cook the diffs by foaming and boiling diff lube. So it's going to come down to something more reasonable like 4.10s/4.56s. A crawl ratio in the 90s will still be deep enough to do anything I intend to with the Wagon while not cooking diffs on the highway.

Reactions: John Bishop

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Outstanding, cant wait for updates

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I don't intend to stop, if anything I need to get moving faster. I've given myself a pretty tight deadline and I still have a lot of work left, lol. It's entirely possible that I'm overestimating my skills/ability to get it done by the end of May, but I'm going to continue operatiing like I'm not until I'm proven wrong in June.
Your skills are on point for sure. You'll do great things and then sleep for "days" like I do. LOL
Zim

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Dang...that's awesome.

I had a 1954 modded one for a while. Had the Chevy 350 in it. I loved driving that thing. Youthful stupidity and circumstances lost it. Dangit.

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Great job and write up! If I wasn't into old Land Rovers I would have a Overland.
Thanks! I definitely have an appreciation for the old Land Rovers. I am personally very brand agnostic, but my wallet is not, unfortunately, or I'd potentially have gotten a Defender 110 or Series 3. Something I'm considering down the road is using Disco 1 or 2 axles to upgrade with, though. I've found that they're fairly close to the right width, and even have the right diff offsets to work with the Dana 18 transfer case, which is extremely uncommon on stock vehicles past like 1975, and even more rare for vehicles with coil suspension and disc brakes on all 4 corners. There's a gentleman on Old Willys Forum that I've been talking to who did it, and it's been a hit for him.

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
I took a little time to tinker tonight, and got a bit done. I can now say that I have all the lights required for it to be legal now, which is a nice feeling. Between doing the 12v conversion and adding turn signals there was a little work that needed done. All of the bulbs needed replaced, of course, and because the headlights are sealed beam the whole headlight needed replaced. Also, I had to swap sockets on the parking lights for dual filament bulbs since those are going to be new turn signals too. Additionally I slapped some mirrors on, as those are going to be required to pass my upcoming roadworthiness inspection, too. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, but because they're just held on by clamping pressure rather than requiring holes drilled I figured they'd do the job for now until I do something more permanent, and in the meantime they don't leave holes in the doors. And who knows, I may end up keeping them. As they say, nothing is more permanent than a temporary fix that works. Finally, I replaced the hood hold downs on the fenders. The driver's side didn't even have one, and the one on the passenger's side had lost all holding tension, so they were due for replacement. The plan for tomorrow is fuel tank replacement, fuel line routing, and transmission hardware acquisition. I think I have all the parts I need to start putting it together at this point, but I'm severely lacking hardware. Assuming I have enough time tomorrow, I'd also like to put the engine, transmission, and transfer-case together. My goal is to put them into the Wagon as a unit, as knowing where they're going to sit when together will be important for getting motor mounts and crossmembers mocked up, and I think it'll be easier to line everything up outside of the rig rather than in it. With luck, I'll be reporting back tomorrow.

20240412_193338.jpg

Reactions: Kent R

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
As promised, I did indeed get some more done today. The first thing was replacing the fuel tank, and my instinct to do that rather than deal with the stock tank was 10000000% justified when I dropped the stock tank and found it about half full of literal rats' nest. Definitely worth replacing rather than trying to clean and recondition the stock tank in my opinion. Additionally I had to replace the filler neck hose and the rubber pad for it, both of which were fairly easy replacements.

20240413_101549.jpg20240413_105223.jpg20240413_105740.jpg20240413_114402.jpg20240413_114422.jpg

When I was under the Wagon I got a better look at the tow bar that it's got, which I found somewhat interesting. It's basically just flat steel with a hook that adds some "support" from the rear bumper, so I don't imagine it's a terribly strong. I won't be using it for actual towing (not that I was going to use the Wagon for that anyway), but I'll probably put a tow ball in it for looks at some point.

20240413_101609.jpg

Finally, I got the bellhousing mounted up to the transmission. Because I'm using a newer style bellhousing on the SM420, I needed to drill out 2 of the holes on it so I can feed bolts from inside the bellhousing into the transmission. I considered using an earlier style bellhousing, as it would let me more easily access those bolts, which would allow me to drop the transmission without needing to bring the bellhousing down with it. However, that style bellhousing is open on the bottom, and needs a dust shield to keep junk out, and ultimately I decided that they'd be similiarly complex to remove in the future. Also, the newer bellhousing fits with Novak's hydraulic clutch arm while the older bellhousing would have needed machined to fit. I think it looks decent, all in all.

20240413_132523.jpg20240413_132525.jpg20240413_140807.jpg

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Got some more work done on the Wagon. First, I switched tactics completely on the clutch throwout. As I started into it, I was having nothing but trouble trying to get all the measurements aligned for the pivot, the arm, the throwout, the slave cylinder and so on. I did some more research into it, and realized that I could completely avoid like 90% of those complications by switching to a hydraulic throwout. This was a lifesaver and huge stress relief. With the new throwout installed, putting the transmission and engine together was a cinch. Also, in a rare bout of foresight, I thought to order the external bleeder kit so I don't have to try to reach into the bellhousing to get the clutch properly bled.

20240420_124945.jpg

All of that assembled puts me in final clean up mode, more or less, getting the loose ends tied up before I try to swing the whole assembly into the Wagon. Aside from the last few bits of wiring I had left before the engine bay, the big things I needed to get done were final pedal mounting and master cylinder mounting. I originally thought I'd want to have the firewall reinforcement on the engine side of it, but the point where the top and bottom halves of it meet were more trouble than I wanted to deal with, so I did it on the interior side. The 2 master cylinders were easy enough to mount, and I think it looks good having them up on the firewall. Miles easier to deal with than the stock style when it comes to maintenance of any kind, too. Next up is going to be routing brake lines, bleeding the brakes, and then it'll be time to do the bit I'm both very excited about and somewhat scared of: mounting the engine. I'm confident I can get things aligned the way they need to be, but I'm definitely not sure about my welding skills, so we'll see how that goes.

20240427_114333.jpg

Reactions: Kent R and Dougnuts