Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Bates
Member #

Now that the temperatures are dropping in the desert it is time to go exploring!!! Borrego holds a multitude of terrains and sites to see (which in all honesty will take far more then a weekend to explore). To begin ticking areas off of my bucket list I figuresd I would post an event so that others cane share in the experience. This event will be two days (Friday and Saturday) and we are going to run Fish Creek and explore the fingers (both by rig and by foot as there are slot canyons) as time will allow. We will find a camp spot in the area for Friday night. Saturday morning we will head over towards the Salton Sea and explore the abandoned navy base. At the end of the day we will head to Carlee's for a well deserved dive bar meal and refreshments before going our separate ways.

View Rally Point
Reactions: DYRTPRO

steveb San Diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Bates
Member #

Well is doesn't seem like my start and end points are saving.....

Here are the coordinates for the Turn off and start of Fish Creek: 33.0393382,-116.0969067

Plug that into google maps and you will see the starting point.

Here is the address for Carlee's where we will end: Carlee's Place, 660 Palm Canyon Dr, Borrego Springs, CA 92004

DYRTPRO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego
Member #

I’m down to go. I’ll be graduating from my EMT course at 3:30 PM on the 26th, but will be able to head out after.

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I’m down to go. I’ll be graduating from my EMT course at 3:30 PM on the 26th, but will be able to head out after.
Cool!!!! It sounds like a lot of people that want to attend will be coming out Friday night. I am working on a place that we can meet up for Friday night. I will post up a GPS coordinate here for Friday nights camping spot. Stay tuned!!!

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Looks like a lot of folks will be coming out Friday night. I am going to work on a designated camping spot for Friday night and post up a GPS coordinate for people to go to. Stay tuned!!!

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

So I was out in Utah recently for a canyoneering trip. My buddy Jeff and I try and plan a trip twice a year to a different location. This go around was to Robbers Roost in Hanksville. I got to test the trucks abilities on this trip as we did some guess work in trying to get to a different area on one of the days. It went like this - "nice graded dirt road" to "two track" to "over grown two track" to "cattle trail" to "WTF no trail leading into a freakin desert" had to air down the tires and go from sand dune top to sand dune top and pick the easiest path around scrub, cactus, and trees. It turned out to be quite the adventure :) Here are some links to pics and videos of the trip.

Pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J1Siz2aU7eN1xNP57
Videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2P4WcNC87PLPeTse6

For those interested I will have a rope and some harnesses with me on the trip at the end of the month to Borrego. Because we will be in the canyons I am sure we can find a fun place to do some rappelling after a day of exploring :)

enjoy!!!!

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I have updated the event with additional information. I have added gps coordinates for the campsites. I have also uploaded a pdf with additional information about the camp spots. I know many will be coming out Friday night. I will have run fish creek during the day. If there is interested we could do an evening run of that wash (depending on when people arrive).

Last edited:
Reactions: Socal Hillbilly

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I am going to add a visit to the pumpkin patch to Saturdays route. We will hit it from the s22 side. I am putting together some gps way point to outline the route out there once we leave the road. Gonna post up a pdf with the way points. I will post a note once I have uploaded it.

Reactions: Socal Hillbilly