Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I searched the various awning threads and what I found was either 270 degree awnings or simple straight out small awnings. I'd like to find a good 180 degree awning that would open up and cover the back area of my truck and extend out past the back area on both sides. I've seen a few 180 degree awnings but would like to know if anyone has found one that is sturdy and will hold up to windy conditions.

Reactions: SPARTAN-107

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Same as the 270 I would recommend 23Zero. The 180 is pretty compact but may be too wide to sit on the back of a vehicle.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I estimate I could mount an awning at the back of my truck that is no more than 71" wide when closed up. The problem I think I'm going to have is the 180 like 23Zero's is only 60" wide so it only comes out from the vehicle 60". I have a brand new 10' x 10' popup canopy that might serve the purpose a lot better. It gives me 10' out x 10' wide coverage, a whole lot more coverage than that 23Zero and I'm guessing it will be the same for a lot of the other 180 degree awnings. The problem is that popup doesn't mount to the rack on my truck so takes up storage space and takes more time to setup. Now that I'm at home and can get to the website I need to go to Overland Vehicle Systems and checkout their 180 degree awning but I think that one might be too wide to have at the back of the truck. I'll probably change my mind on this a few times before I find the right solution, has been the case with a lot of my Overland purchases/projects LOL!

Edit #1: Ok, the Overland Vehicle Systems 180 is too wide where it mounts and ARB has straight out awnings that might work but go from 78" wide to 49" wide. I'm hoping to find something that is as close to 71" wide as I can get. If you can think of some other awning manufactures please list them here, the more I have the more research I can do for the right solution.

Edit #2: Well more research has me thinking a side awning is the best solution for mounting at the back of my truck, just have to find one that is as close to 71" so I can get maximum coverage. I have my kitchen setup at the back of my truck so that is why I want coverage there. Again the right 270 degree awning just might do the trick. See, already changing my mind LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: eagle_A40

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well I think for now I'm just going to stick with my 10' x 10' pop up canopy. Seems the prices for the 270 degree awnings that would satisfy the coverage I'm looking for are out of my range right now. Maybe if I sell my boat I can get one. What I find surprising is as big as Overlanding is getting there are no good reviews online that I could find comparing the different awnings produced by different companies and there are a lot out there!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Well I think for now I'm just going to stick with my 10' x 10' pop up canopy. Seems the prices for the 270 degree awnings that would satisfy the coverage I'm looking for are out of my range right now. Maybe if I sell my boat I can get one. What I find surprising is as big as Overlanding is getting there are no good reviews online that I could find comparing the different awnings produced by different companies and there are a lot out there!
Most reviews come from users and most users can't afford to buy a bunch of individual brands to review them.

The bottomline is 98% come from China. They have varying degrees of quality. I know 23Zero inspects all of its stuff and will not tolerate junk. I am sure other brands do too. But I also imagine a lot of the cheaper options are factory seconds which the higher tier "manufactures" rejected. It doesn't mean they won't work or they will work well. You just need to see what other people say first. The factories are notorious from cranking out good product for the first container to a vendor and then trying to get away with stuff on the 2nd, 3rd... A lot of the known brands constantly visit China to make sure the quality stays up.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
That's why I think I'll just stick with my popup for now. It's new, haven't even set it up once yet. It stores on the top of my Diamondback cover so transporting it is easy. Not the best option when alone, much easier to setup with two people present but will do the job I need it to do until I can afford one of the Overpriced 270 degree awnings. There is no way they should cost as much as my whole 3 person tent cost.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

So, I use a Supapeg Rear Wing Awning on my teardrop trailer. This awning is extremely high quality. That also means they get a pretty penny for it. It is only available in Australia but they will ship to the United States. It took me hours of looking to find this thing years ago. Its been on my trailer for 3 years and has seen pretty heavy use.

Supapeg 180 Degree Rear Wing Awning

I modified the awning and added a "roof rafter" to it which helps with rain water runoff. Had to drill a hole and attach a mount. Works great.

Curved Roof Rafter

-Curtiss