Launch Member

Member I

Ogden, Weber County, Utah, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Hey gang, this is long overdue. I’ve been a member for about a year but haven’t had the time to start this thread until now.

I bought a used 2000 Nissan Xterra in October of 2017. In January of 2018, I totaled it. Black ice in a canyon road. Hit the center barrier. IMG_0169.JPGIMG_0174.JPG

I bought back my car from insurance and decide that this was going to become my first overland vehicle.

I scavenged the junkyards to find new body panels, a new radiator, a new fan, and wheels.
Mechanically, nothing was wrong, thankfully. All cosmetic damage really.

I fixed the immediate damage over the course of that winter and by May, the Wrexterra was road worthy again.
IMG_0289.JPG4E85A59C-FD0A-42C3-BEA4-0F7C56F501F0.jpg

The next “mod” was the air intake resonator chamber deletes. Filled with test plugs (in Utah, I/M testing requires the resonator chambers to be replace so I keep them around, just for that purpose)IMG_0282.JPG

Next I added some ditch / rock light pods and a little bling. #ob11415
IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG

Then one day I was feeling crafty and made up a set of DIY Limb risers.
IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0824.JPG

The latest addition is a Raspberry Pi based car computer to replace the head unit. This will probably warrant a project thread all of its own soon but it’s main objectives are: sound controller, navigation hub, camera display, obd2 monitoring and lighting control.

Enthusiast I

Eastern Idaho
First Name
James
Last Name
D
Lol damn dude, get out of my head. I am scheming a raspberry pi unit in a 2004 Frontier right now. We must have a crappy Nissan hive mind going...

Did you do anything to safely shut down the pi after the ignition is cut? I was thinking I could run it off an electrical connection that is always on and just send startup/shutdown signals at ignition. Also what OS do you run? I am kicking back and forth between android auto (more convenient day to day by far) and a full android OS so I can run Gaia on trails. I may have to run to SDs or boot one off a USB.

Reactions: TheWrexTerra

TheWrexTerra

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Lol damn dude, get out of my head. I am scheming a raspberry pi unit in a 2004 Frontier right now. We must have a crappy Nissan hive mind going...

Did you do anything to safely shut down the pi after the ignition is cut? I was thinking I could run it off an electrical connection that is always on and just send startup/shutdown signals at ignition. Also what OS do you run? I am kicking back and forth between android auto (more convenient day to day by far) and a full android OS so I can run Gaia on trails. I may have to run to SDs or boot one off a USB.
I’m working on a delay shutdown script that will ask if you want to have the computer stay on after you turn off the ignition. I’m running Raspian as the OS.

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Looking good so far! Personally, I would have kept the wrecked panels on and just beat them back into some kind of shape. Would really be a "Wrexterra" then.

I love the idea of the Pi as an infotainment/controller system. I was kicking around a similar idea for my track car for gauges.

Reactions: TheWrexTerra

TheWrexTerra

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Looking good so far! Personally, I would have kept the wrecked panels on and just beat them back into some kind of shape. Would really be a "Wrexterra" then.

I love the idea of the Pi as an infotainment/controller system. I was kicking around a similar idea for my track car for gauges.
I’ll post a project thread with a link to my github when I get a usable product for ya!

TheWrexTerra

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Build update: Winter ‘20-Early Spring ‘21

Swapped Raspberry Pi project for 10” Android head unit to run Torque Pro for OB2 monitoring.

Sitting on BFG KO2s.

Rear sway bar delete.

Add 42” curved led bar with custom mounting brackets to roof basket

Add 20” Led bar to front grill

Add CVT Mt Shasta Rooftop Tent

Install Jerry Can mount on rear gate

Add new crew member : newborn daughter.