Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Recently I was on at an OB event. People had driven hundreds of miles the day before, some crossed several states to get there. Saturday morning arrived and we were getting ready for a trail run and I didn’t see anyone open their hood to check fluids and give the engine bay a general overlook for problems like fluid leaks, frayed belts etc.

Also, to continue my rant about valve stem caps: remember that when you end your runs and you are airing up it is very easy for a small piece of sand to get into the stem valve. Spend $2 and buy some SEALING caps. They add a second layer of safety by backing up the stem seals. I have had tires slowly lose air on the drive home resulting in tire failure.

Thanks and be safe.

Reactions: The other Sean

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Recently I was on at an OB event. People had driven hundreds of miles the day before, some crossed several states to get there. Saturday morning arrived and we were getting ready for a trail run and I didn’t see anyone open their hood to check fluids and give the engine bay a general overlook for problems like fluid leaks, frayed belts etc.
Having spent a lifetime working in a shop, retiring to teach automotive and leading many runs/trail rides, I've learned quite a few people don't know how to do this. I have "trail repaired" many vehicles do to small things that would have been caught in a quick inspection before leaving on a run. Then you have the people who are mechanically inclined but don't understand what their doing. Installing grease able u-joints and not greasing them is a personal favorite, not understanding torque.....I can list things forever. Pretty much all of the spare parts I have carried, have been used on other vehicles.

I hear people say "you don't have to be a mechanic to work on your own vehicle". I will agree with this when it comes to maintenance, not mod's. Ever seen someone bolt on some springs and shocks then articulate the axle? Axle has more travel, spring falls out, brake line tears in half or they use the shock as a travel limiter and pull the shock apart. They didn't understand when you mod one part you need to make sure everything is proper. Having to hold up a run half way through because you didn't notice your diff plug came loose and you lost all the oil when it fell out a couple of miles into the trail ride, is a bit embarrassing. That was an interesting trail fix. Whittled down a stick and threaded it into the hole.

Popping the hood and checking for leaks, fluid levels and damage is a must before venturing out and a thorough inspection when you get home. If your vehicle is modded, you have to check frame, suspension, drive-line and eyeball lug nuts. I have "field welded" frames, spring hangers, steering and about anything else that can crack due to off-road. All of these things could have been caught in an inspection if the person knew what to look for. Whats funny is, I built a welder for my Jeep because so many people had broken things that disabled their vehicle.

Scott

Last edited:

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Thank you for your input and added ideas Scott. Maybe you and Michael could make a YouTube video helping to point out what to look for. I carry a stupid amount of “field repair” items including a spare water pump, starter and alternator. I realize most overlanders are not mechanics but everyone who ventures off into the wilderness should have a little knowledge of what is going on. I share your opinion about mods. I have seen so many suspension changes that were poorly engineered and/or poorly installed resulting in trial failures. Automotive manufacturers spend millions engineering and field testing vehicles and every modification the owner makes comes with a trade off. I am not saying all mods are bad, just consider the consequences of that 6 inch lift when you are tooling down the highway at 70mph and you need to avoid an obstacle.