Jumping Off Rock - Upstate South Carolina

• HTML tutorial

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

There is a ton to explore on that section of trails. I'll be up at the Green River Saturday but I might head out for a day trip on Sunday.

DM

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
Very nice is there road side camping or do you have to stay in a camp ground that's not far about two hours from me I'm in kings mountain nc but I have never been to this area of the state might have to go check it out in a few weeks what's your suggestions for the best place to start exploring

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

Very nice is there road side camping or do you have to stay in a camp ground that's not far about two hours from me I'm in kings mountain nc but I have never been to this area of the state might have to go check it out in a few weeks what's your suggestions for the best place to start exploring
There's plenty of roadside camping with a few places specifically called out. So far, it seems like its not too hard finding a nice spot. Have fun!

DM

Reactions: Ingle939

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

We took a ride out here this weekend. It's a great ride and that view from Jumping Off Rock is stunning. Unfortunately, the whole road wasn't open, and the gate at Jumping Off Rock was closed. The sign at the trailhead said it would reopen in late March.
Bummed to hear that. I was hoping to go out to the peninsula on Bootlegger and camp in the next couple of weeks. I guess I'll have to wait. Thanks for the update!

SC4runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

St. Matthews, SC
Member #

We took a ride out here this weekend. It's a great ride and that view from Jumping Off Rock is stunning. Unfortunately, the whole road wasn't open, and the gate at Jumping Off Rock was closed. The sign at the trailhead said it would reopen in late March.
I believe that that section of the road is only open March 20 to May 10 and again from September 1 to January 1. They like to limit the vehicle traffic to ease the stress on the native wildlife (especially the black bears). The trail is open to foot traffic year round, but its close to 10 miles one way :tired:

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I havent been up to Horse Pasture since College..... beautiful area. Caesars Head is another awesome spot.

Go TIGERS!!

Reactions: Graeman

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I camped out on the peninsula during the Christmas / New Years break right on the lake. It's a PERFECT spot. I'm bummed that it won't be open during the summer since there are gorgeoud beaches 30 yards from the end of Bootlegger Road. I suppose if they left it open it would be over traveled and buried in trash so I understand. Love exploring out there...

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

I camped out on the peninsula during the Christmas / New Years break right on the lake. It's a PERFECT spot. I'm bummed that it won't be open during the summer since there are gorgeoud beaches 30 yards from the end of Bootlegger Road. I suppose if they left it open it would be over traveled and buried in trash so I understand. Love exploring out there...
exactly...we have many respectable off-roaders in our community, but all it takes is a few lazy ass punks to ruin it for the rest...at least you know where it is and can travel there.

Reactions: Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I love going up to Caesars Rock and Pretty Place church at the state line. Love that whole area. I am from Piedmont and my family still lives there. Love going home... My parents are thinking about buying a Jeep again, sure hope that they do so we can camping & wheel together again when we are out that way on vacations.