Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I personally use Gaia in conjunction with OB1 as it has benefits of native support for Trailforks (also owned by Outside) and has a decent Android Auto/Carplay app

Reactions: BFR812

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I’m using Gaia, I love the Overland layer…but I’ve also started using OB1…it’s quick and very user friendly…

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

Gaia. Looked all the others, decided I liked the choice of maps and sometimes having multiple maps of the same area. Reason: All maps contain errors; either errors made at it's creation or errors that have "aged in" due to changes on the ground since the map was made). A lot of times I'm on a road that's not there on one map, but is there on another.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
For offline navigation, I mainly use oruxmaps as an app. And also OB1. I chose oruxmaps because it is a bit more complex to use as there are many options, but you can get countless maps for it and there are import and export functions for tracks, POIs, etc. The OB1 app comes in handy, has good, and useful easy-to-use navigation functions and is a great tool for staying in touch with the community while out.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I ran across a YT video where they were using Gaia and ended up on private land. The landowner encouraged use of OnX because it makes it clear if it's private or not and Gaia does not. Is that true?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I ran across a YT video where they were using Gaia and ended up on private land. The landowner encouraged use of OnX because it makes it clear if it's private or not and Gaia does not. Is that true?
Not necessarily. There could have been different factors involved in their error.
Gaia premium does have a layer that shows private property and like all the layer options, it has a toggle to increase/ decrease the intensity of the layer view.
It could be they didn‘t have premium, had the layer off or minimized, or the map could have had incorrect info.
I splurged the other day and succumbed to the ad for 50% off OnX. Learning my way around it now. It doesn’t have the multitude of layers available like Gaia. The layers are also either on or off, it seems.

Reactions: DangitDad

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

GAIA Premium , huge selection of maps. I like the older topos for exploring. Pop up an old Topo and your driving down the road how it looked 100 years ago, great for finding ruins and old homesteads. I spend hours researching, and have hundreds of waypoints marked for exploring and run around a 90% success rate on finding cool $hit. I also use Historic Aerials and Google Earth real time while on the trails. The ability to overlay multiple layers by percentage is great.
One feature I really like is being able to load pix with each marked waypoint. Then when I keep all my color coded tracks the pix are included in the trip for my research files.

Last edited:

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Okay which app is best and why?

OnX Offroad or Gaia.
They all suck one way or another. I have yet to find a good trail app that isn’t useless while traveling. Gaia is reasonable for trails, OnX is hopeless for me personally.

I find OsmAnd the least worthless, but insanely infuriating to use.

Peanuts

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Cravalho
Member #

Gaia. I find their route building and overlays much more detailed. Also like that Gaia is a bit more diy.

BFR812

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Reno, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Thank you for your insight and yes I have to completely agree. I have yet to find the perfect Offroad app. I have been using OnX and Gaia and have found issues with both. However hopefully they will get better and listen to us the end users and make the necessary changes to their apps.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I need to put a qualifier on my opinion:

I'm personally NOT looking for just an offroading app. I'm looking for something I can plan a complete trip with. Something that lets me nagivate a two day or a two year trip. With PROPER navigation onroad (Gaia and OnX utterly suck, OnX is actually garbage for this), decent coverage of trails and unpaved forest roads, access to high quality maps, and maybe some trail ratings.

On a recent trip, I tried OnX, and for everything but very localized trails, it's completely useless. You zoom out, it doesn't show cities or large roads or even interstates in a way that you can ACTUALLY find something on the map, it can't search while offline, even if it has the maps local, the version I had was also buggy as hell. Gaia was slightly better, but also couldn't navigate properly, search doesn't work right when offline, routing often doesn't work when offline, you can't really download decent sized maps beforehand without going through a total nightmare routine ...

As I said, give OsmAnd a try – a try that's longer than a day or two, since usability is worse than any other app I've tried, but the functionality is there. It's 100% offline, there is no online component, so either it has a feature which works offline, or it doesn't have the feature at all. And it has TONS of features. We did a full trip with it recently, and the only thing missing was offroad trail information. And this is something I could probbably add from different sources if I was willing to prepare for the offroad parts.

And to be clear: I'm a pure customer to all these apps, I have full licenses for OsmAnd, Gaia, and unfortunately I wasted money on that PoS OnX.

BFR812

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Reno, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Parker
Member #

I need to put a qualifier on my opinion:

I'm personally NOT looking for just an offroading app. I'm looking for something I can plan a complete trip with. Something that lets me nagivate a two day or a two year trip. With PROPER navigation onroad (Gaia and OnX utterly suck, OnX is actually garbage for this), decent coverage of trails and unpaved forest roads, access to high quality maps, and maybe some trail ratings.

On a recent trip, I tried OnX, and for everything but very localized trails, it's completely useless. You zoom out, it doesn't show cities or large roads or even interstates in a way that you can ACTUALLY find something on the map, it can't search while offline, even if it has the maps local, the version I had was also buggy as hell. Gaia was slightly better, but also couldn't navigate properly, search doesn't work right when offline, routing often doesn't work when offline, you can't really download decent sized maps beforehand without going through a total nightmare routine ...

As I said, give OsmAnd a try – a try that's longer than a day or two, since usability is worse than any other app I've tried, but the functionality is there. It's 100% offline, there is no online component, so either it has a feature which works offline, or it doesn't have the feature at all. And it has TONS of features. We did a full trip with it recently, and the only thing missing was offroad trail information. And this is something I could probbably add from different sources if I was willing to prepare for the offroad parts.

And to be clear: I'm a pure customer to all these apps, I have full licenses for OsmAnd, Gaia, and unfortunately I wasted money on that PoS OnX.
I can clearly see by reading your post you haven’t found an Offroad map app that fits you needs. I think the problem might be that you’re from San Jose California. (LOL) just messing with you.
I fully agree with you I haven’t found an Offroad App that fits my needs either.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I can clearly see by reading your post you haven’t found an Offroad map app that fits you needs. I think the problem might be that you’re from San Jose California. (LOL) just messing with you.
LOL, yeah. Possibly. I've worked in the software industry for 30 years, I know too much about usability, user interface design, buggy software, etc. I don't just think that the current offerings all leave a lot to be desired one way or another, I know they do. (that's the most polite I could come up with, if the developers of these apps had worked for me when I was leading software teams, I would have fired quite a few of them).

Reece04

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
Hank
Last Name
Reece
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7CAZ
Like others have said, they have their pros and cons... I use HEMA, which is basically an orange version of Gaia. I have used On X, and the garmin Tread... I personally like Hema/gaia best, but I like that OnX works over apple carplay and its one less screen in the car. The Tread has a ton of cool features but I am very new to it. I like on OnX that I can see routes even offline. we all plan our trip, but there is always an offshoot that looks interesting. Being able to map on the fly is great. I like Gaia/Hema for that since I have the maps with the topo and trails on there. The tread with the correct planning would be great, but if you don't get all your stuff setup before hand, its a pain to plan in the field.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I primarily use Gaia and have found it very good for the trail stuff (and Trails Off-road is great if they have mapped the trail) but use a Garmin (mine is Overlander) for a longer trip in conjunction as it has both trail and roads. My gripe with Garmin is that , imho, their manuals suck. I am still learning how to use the Overlander 3 years later how to do things and what features they have. A better manual would have made it a lot more useful for me.

I am also trying to use OB1 as often as possible and have downloaded the Baja Peninsula for our upcoming trip, it just takes time to learn and use the apps. We also chose to download LeadNav as recommended by NORRA (we are participating in the Mexican 1000 Safari this year) and it looks to be a pretty cool app with a lot of specialized features for off road route planning, adding waypoints, turns etc.

Last edited:

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Signed up for Gaia a few days ago and in messing around with it, I can't seem to get it to focus on overlanding vs hiking. It seems most things focus on hiking. I see how to create an overland focused route, but how about just general browsing?