The Autism Family Travels updated vehicle build. Take two! 2015 Jeep Patriot altitude.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The little pat goes into the shop today to get it's replacement front legs. 2 new complete struts from Rough Country. If these work, I will be extremely happy with the lift system. I had it on an very rough road last night and it ate it up (except for the top out loud clunk). Crossing my fingers that it's all fixed today.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We love it too. We have a bun h of vehicles at our disposal including a mercedes glk320 and we think the little pat is a better ride. As for the rough country stuff. Time will tell if it works for us. I'm telling them to make sure there are no noises in our rig before they give it back.

Update after I get it back this evening.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

@Red_Leaf_Overland , What do you make of this? I think this guy is having the same "knock" I am getting, which is actually a top out knock, not a bottom out knock....

It's possible. I know rough country likes to use their shocks as bumb stops in most lifts which is why they have a big rubber block on them most of the time, so i was thinking maybe that was loose and moving on the shaft causing a "double hit" ( though I don't know what their struts look like in person for the patriot lol). But it could be that the spring is hitting something like the control arm or the wheel well. Check for wear mark on parts in the front end ( may be hard to see if it is at the back on the wheel well side. Worth a shot.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It's possible. I know rough country likes to use their shocks as bumb stops in most lifts which is why they have a big rubber block on them most of the time, so i was thinking maybe that was loose and moving on the shaft causing a "double hit" ( though I don't know what their struts look like in person for the patriot lol). But it could be that the spring is hitting something like the control arm or the wheel well. Check for wear mark on parts in the front end ( may be hard to see if it is at the back on the wheel well side. Worth a shot.
Been doing some more research, they said it could be the bolt of the sway bar link hitting the sway bar at full droop. My buddy (owns the blue LJ / TJ) are going to look at it next week when we are doing the trans fluid change on our pat and brakes on his Cherokee. I will get this sorted somehow. It rides awesome other than this top out clunk.

P.S. I am banned for life from jeeppatriot.com because I told the truth about a guy who thought he was going to race his patriot in the Baja 1000 and he's also a massive racist (not racer). ha ha. Truth hurts sometimes. ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Got about 1500kms on the new front end now, I am not sure if it's just me, the weather, or something else, but the clunk is getting quieter. DUNNO. Could be all in my head. Never had a chance to get on the ground and look at it yet as I have been busy with work etc. This weekend coming up I will get at er and figure it out. Cycle the suspension up and drop it quick off the jack while on jack stands and we should see/hear something. I know I it's something other than the shocks and this point as others on JP.com with spacers and other lift kits have the same noise.

See what happens.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

I've been having issues with my sway bar contacting the vibration dampener on the driver CV, getting to the point where I might just run a week disconnected and see how that goes. Could be something similar for you where it's not sitting where it's supposed to.

Just did the major refresh on the rear end of mine (subframe, Bilsteins, RRO adj upper, Moog adj toes, wheel bearings), and my RC lower control arm bushings are getting rebuilt this week. Just part of the lifted Patriot life.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I've been having issues with my sway bar contacting the vibration dampener on the driver CV, getting to the point where I might just run a week disconnected and see how that goes. Could be something similar for you where it's not sitting where it's supposed to.

Just did the major refresh on the rear end of mine (subframe, Bilsteins, RRO adj upper, Moog adj toes, wheel bearings), and my RC lower control arm bushings are getting rebuilt this week. Just part of the lifted Patriot life.
Did it give a good clunk when at full droop? We redid all our suspension besides the arms going from the rear doors to the rear control arms this year, everything is all new and nice. I think that's part of Patriot life, not just lifted pat life.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

Did it give a good clunk when at full droop?
Usually the worst it does is bind up for a moment if I make a flexy right turn, there's a clunk but I also feel it in my steering.

Back before I did the JKS quicker disconnects the RC sway bar brackets would start to loosen and it would definitely clunk, like when going over speed bumps.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well, I have an appointment made to remove the rough country junk. I do not recommend this system at all. 1. the clunk front and rear from the struts is unbearable. 2. I was expecting 2 inch lift all around but it's only 2 inch in front so the jeep has dog having a piss look to it. 3. it's not at all what I wanted my jeep to turn into. The dealer I got the RC from is also a bilstien dealer, so hes going to order the 4 bilstien struts and I am going to get new Moog LCA's and springs. That will make my jeep what I want it to be.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have new struts, LCAs and the daystar 1.5" lift ordered now. All should be in within a week or so. I have the KYB quickstruts ordered and Moog LCAs. The dealer that I purchased the RC kit from is providing free labour for this stuff since it's RCs fault. Great service from them. I like the fact that the entire jeep gets lifted equally not just the front. Bring it on...a good riding performing jeep again!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have held off on the daystar lift, for now. Rumor has it the KYB give about 1 inch over stock without any spacers etc. I have yet to confirm this rumor. They are arriving on Monday and will be installed ASAP!

On an unrelated to the suspension note, we now have our rack finalized with a thule rack platform (if I can trim the width of it or they make smaller versions) and we are getting the 6 light or 5 light KC pro 6 bar mounted in front of the rack. We need light bad so these are the best for our application imo. Old school style new school technology.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I just went back and read this link through. He said his patriot without the daystar lift sits at 33 with the KYB. My pat is sitting at 33 7/8 with the RC struts. So if I lose another 1/2 inch after they settle, it will still be over an inch higher than the stock struts/springs which I will be 100 percent fine with! We will find out wed.