Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Nope, not a fan of frame grounding either. I'm going to run the buss up top, along with the power wires. The splice is a section cut out of the buss wire (much larger gauge,) the buss wires pulled apart at the center, the incoming wire fed through that hole, wrapped around and soldered, and then a cold shrink wrap around that. Might be overkill but considering this is "expedition" and the wires will be buried under paneling, I don't wanna have to have those go bad. But I also want to keep down the # of wires running back.

Still might not be worth the fuss over running more smaller wires back...
My concern would be solder cracking due to vibrations in that instance. It might not be much of a concern, but I tend to prefer marine crimp connections for that. Now, I did use a bunch of solder seal connectors in the front overhead storage, but if they do fail, I can access and replace them easily, so overall, I'm not too worried about it. Even my overhead light and fan are grounded where I can access the termination point. I don't have any splices anywhere where I can't access them. Something to consider.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I don't really have any pictures yet, but we put the first coat of paint on the trailer last night. Thinned it down to a 2:1 ratio of paint to water, to help it soak into the canvas. I'll be putting at least two more coats of paint on it. One more full strength coat of exterior latex base coat, followed by a minimum of 1 coat of porch/floor paint, which drys nice and hard. Should be able to get the doors mounted and sealed this weekend!

Reactions: DangitDad