Question: what to do if broken down and no cell service?

• HTML tutorial

chetmak

Rank III

Advocate III

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chet
Last Name
Makowski
Member #

Guys,
Question: if I break down (even on a paved rd ) with no cell service what can I do?

- Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Trying to get used to this app.
- also I have AAA and a Zoleo account.
-AAA said they never had that question before. ??
-Zoleo said the SOS mode is only for medical emergencies.
- I live in southern south west
Nevada. Some roads the cell signal goes in and out.
I’m kind of a rookie.
Thanks in advance.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

AAA only works on paved roads.
I have friends that follow me via Garmin inreach. I travel alone about 90 % of the time, solo 95% of the time. Make sure your rig is in 100% good shape. If you are solo don't push it super hard, if you are with a group you have help there. Most of my trips are into Baja without cell service, I've been doing these trips before cell phones and would be out for touch for weeks. I now how to fix most stuff on my rig also.

Last edited:

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

You can use Zoleo to send texts to people you know. Your texts will provide your exact location and they can help coordinate service. Check with your contacts in advance to make sure they're willing to help and aren't secretly hoping to never see you again, LOL.

Reactions: Alanymarce

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
My plan has always been to drive Toyota and not worry about it :wink:

Actually, my plan is to use my InReach to text my location and situation to somebody I know and trust that could help coordinate a repair/tow/recovery.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Good avice from others - if you avoid needing help you don't need ccomms either.

However, if you want more than you can get with Inreach or Zoleo then the obvious answer is a satphone. We've used ours rarely, and half of the time it's to help others.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
All the above is true. I’ll add that anally retentative preventive maintenance is the key to not breaking down. Alternator has 150,000 miles on it? Time for a new one. Same for starters, bushings, birfs, ujoints, spark plugs, etc etc etc. I say 150,000 miles because that’s about the average lifespan for Toyota parts. The engine, transmission, transfer case and differentials are good for 1/2 million miles. Pulling the head should be done about every 200,000 miles. Bring spare electrical parts as they are lightweight & small. We’ve been taking long range tours for 25 years, 13 with jeeps and 12 with the Landcruiser and only ever had one break down, it was my fault, because for 5 years I chose to ignore a tiny leak coming from the heater core. Booom! Any vehicle will be as reliable as you keep it. Learn about your truck and learn to maintain it. I hate to use an old cliche’ but it is very important, to be at one with, the machine. Good luck!

Reactions: ZombieCat

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Couple of things, from actual experience.....

Let someone know where you are going and for how long. If possible get latest weather and trail conditions. Check in with rangers.

Try to travel with another vehicle.

ALWAYS have water (bottles/jug/both), Jacket and beenie (might be 100 now, but freezing in the morning when broke down).

AAA will meet you at first pavement, so if possible limp to that spot, note the last pavement you leave on each trip. Also sign up for the extended towning (Plus or RV cant remember).

Keep tools, wipes & paper map in car/truck. Great if you can learn basic compass usage. I have had to walk out of the back hills, knowing I needed to head north east, compass and heading to objects. Wipes good for potty and get dirt/grease off you.

iPhone 15 and newer have bilt in SOS sat comm, used this out in death valley, and had to chopper a friends wife out. It worked and is easy to use. As soon as cell service is lost, SOS is on, automatic.

Do a pre trip check out of the vehicle and learn basic maint. Get a Haynes or other brand maint book and keep it in the car.

Enjoy your self but do not be over confident. (Know your abilities and the vehicles).

Jim

Reactions: MOAK

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Yes you can use inReach SOS for a breakdown when there is no cell service its part of the GEOS system.
BUT!!
If you are in the middle of a no-where the tow company coming to get you out will cost you thousands. As stated above AAA only comes to the end of pavement.
In death valley a couple of years ago a rig got stuck at the bottom of Lippincott, they used the SOS and within two hours a tow rig arrived, the cost to get him out to the pavement was about $5000.

Some things I have learned from 50 years off roading;
Besides the obvious gear and sustenance needs. Dont go alone, tell people your route and estimated itinerary, use the tracking function of the inReach and give people that web site link.

Reactions: MOAK

Mogs And Dogs

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Long Beach, California, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Cross
Member #

Starlink is satellite based internet. You could call, email or use the internet when you break down. Then you can stream Netflix while you wait for help.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
After a lunch stop, I spent 2 hours with a no-crank problem last Saturday. We were in the middle of the Francis Marion NF, so no cell coverage.

I travel with friends or family 90% of the time so at that point I had 4 options, fix it, flat tow it, use my InReach to message my wife to bring me the trailer, or leave it and come back with a trailer to retrieve it. 2 hours from home and miles from pavement, we tried option one.

It ended up being a security system fault and we got it running by bypassing the start circuit and jumping the starter directly. That got it running to finish the trip.

My recommendations are to carry tools and learn how to troubleshoot and repair your vehicle. Travel with at least two vehicles. Carry some form of satellite communication.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
A Garmin InReach will allow two way text messaging to someone at home who can make phone calls for you. I travel with an InReach and an Iridium Sat phone. I buy prepaid minutes before I go on a trip . If I don't use them then great no emergency. You can rent sat phones for a trip. I bought mine because it was cheaper than renting for over three months.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Having technology is great. Make sure it works and you actually know how to use it. I cant count the people I've met who try to figure theses things out when their on the road.

Reactions: MMc and KonzaLander

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Best way to get out of a breakdown is to learn how to repair your rig . If your depending on a vehicle to take you far from civilization you should take the time to learn it and how to repair it . With basic mechanical knowledge and basic electrical testing equipment you can repair or at least cobble together a repair enough to get you back home .no offense to you this is just a basic statement . As this hobby expands in popularity more and more people that shouldn’t be out in the middle of nowhere depending on a vehicle will be out there now becoming someone else’s responsibility to help . I love helping others and have no problem doing it but it’s starting to get more and more common to have to help people that have not even the slightest knowledge to self support or recover .
technology is great and can be a fantastic resource but it should be a last resort in recovery not the first line of defense .

TalkingJeep

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Central Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
CJ8
Service Branch
Army
I currently explore solo in Central Virginia (would REALLY like to start &/or join some trips with y'all). Most of my playground is w/out cell service in the George Washington, Jefferson or Shenandoa National forests. I have a Baofeng ham radio & programmed all of the National Forest ranger stations (in my state). I always drop a pin to my wife at the edge of cell reception before heading in.
I'm tossing around the idea of a longer trip over to flagpole knob North of Roanoke, VA. It's a Jeep Badge trail too, but I'm interested in camping with awesome views, bacon, bourbon, campfire & my doggo at the top =) Anyone wanna help me plan it =D
Pic because I heard y'all like pics lol
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif