Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Well depending on a certain football game on the 31st, I may be down in Tampa that week...
If they lose on the 31st... I'm wide open that week...

Last edited:
Reactions: scubasteve2002

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Well they live there...so they are a bit more local than me by about 100 miles.does your route bypass the jerks ?...or how is this negotiated?...Any info is good info would be great

@viva_el_dusto

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

They don't live there I don't think really. I believe it's more like a "getaway" but that's neither here nor there.

The road they are blocking is one of the 3 or 4 that are 4wd required. To eliminate it you miss lose a good chunk of the 4wd portion.

My route does not bypass it, when I was there last it was just a dog chain across the road that I unhooked and with through. Now it has gotten more complicated. I can edit my route so that it bypasses but I'm not familiar with the roads it would put you on.

My route also runs carburator hill and some other well known obstacles, and takes you to Townsend cave.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

That's the block.

It's on furnace pilot rd. Which is between mtn Springs and barker branch lower left corner of cartlo map.

Highlighted way point is the block.
Location d is the next intersection past it. As you can tell they are blocking a long portion. You could run pilot road from high rock rd and run it out and back if you wanted.

Reactions: ElDusto

GreenMachine02

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Oakwood, Ohio
Member #

Reactions: nparker72

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

The pic where the boulders are in the road... Is that the local blockage?
I'm sure a few of us hooked inline could move enough of them far enough for us to pass...

Reactions: ElDusto

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

so are we gonna do some winter camping or are we just day tripping?... also i'm looking at 15th instead of 7th..i have scans to do and i'm going to a vintage firearms show in Wilmington...does that give you more leeway Walt?

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Actually I know I can't do that weekend. A lacrosse event on the 14th and men's basketball on the 15th.
Don't plan anything around my schedule this time of the year. It is always in flex and I can't guarantee anything up until the day before. Sometimes not even then...
To many clients, to many last minute things... it's a good problem to have... luckily it is not the same during the summer months.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

No. Different road. That road has been removed from the dbbb.

The blockage of the road we are discussing his large piece of farm equipment vehicles scrap metal anything that can lay in the roadway.

They have petitioned the township to vacate the road so the people who organized the dbbb are asking people to stay away from it for right now until everything is settled.

If they vacate that road in my opinion it will kill the entire dbbb unless they locate another one in the same area because that is one of the few four-wheel drive required roads.

The only other Road that truly requires four wheel drive is the yellow one on the map and it is really easy driving all the way until the end where there are two rock ledges you have to climb it could be done in a stock vehicle but it will take some skinny pedal when we went in labor day we had a JK with open gifts on 33 and he winched to one of the ledges but he was also pulling and off-road trailer.

only 4 roads that you even need to lock into 4 wheel drive to run. Two of those for roads you probably won't need to lock in unless you are 100% stock.

And one of those is the one that is blocked so there's no way to run it without going to the other end of it and going backwards and then turning around.

In my opinion it is not worth the drive from Ohio to run unless you are going to venture into what will be hollerwood off-road park.

Carburetor Hill towns Townsend cave Widowmaker and many other noteworthy trails are located within the loop that is shown on the map. However they are not on that map because those trails are not legal roadways and the Daniel Boone Backcountry byway follows legal Road.

Spas Creek Road, Pumpkin Hollow Road, a very short portion of old Fincastle Road, Walker Creek School Road and the road that is blocked are the 4wd ones.

There is one road that is poorly maintained but it is gravel and there's no reason for 4 wheel drive on it but it is a very neat road with some pretty good scenery and everything else is nicely graveled and well taken care of or it is paved.

Last edited:

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

It looks like I've been on most of those already minus the blocked one... I went with Hyter a couple of years ago. I loved the cave... that was cool.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Also I would not want to do it as a day trip. I would definitely want to camp. Even though there is not a ton of four-wheel drive action on the route there is a lot of Scenic stuff to stop and see and I think you need at least 2 days unless you don't plan to stop and do anything other than drive.

The national forest allows Backcountry camping, you can also stay along the trail pretty much anywhere within what will be hollerwood off road.

If you want to stay in an actual Campground I highly recommend Callie's Campground.

Or if you want to go the route of hotel stay at Li'l Abner's

Reactions: GreenMachine02

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

I live in Kentucky...I've been going to the gorge for years and years and years...mostly foot travels and camping and day trips ..I'm excited this looks to be almost resolved..at least for now..hopefully people don't trash it and get this shut down.living out west it was great because of all the public land to be able to appreciate and get away from people...I'm stoked because this is only about an hour and 45 from me.heres the last update I've seen

@viva_el_dusto

Reactions: w_m_photo