Belleville, IL, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9YQP
As i have just installed my setup, i am about to go on a 3400 mile trip and i want to know the best way to interact along the route, understanding there are repeaters along the way that i may not know about.

Any advice is welcome.

HikinNHammin

Rank III

Contributor III

Decatur, AL
First Name
Lou
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4HNH
Service Branch
USN & ARNG
As i have just installed my setup, i am about to go on a 3400 mile trip and i want to know the best way to interact along the route, understanding there are repeaters along the way that i may not know about.

Any advice is welcome.
At the very least, have 146.520 (the national calling frequency) programmed into the radio. Depending on where you are, there may or may not be traffic on that frequency. When I'm on a long road trip I'll periodically announce on the frequency that I'm monitoring. Also, put the Repeater Book app on your phone, that will allow you to look up nearby repeaters based on your GPS position. If you have the time, map out your route and preprogram the radio, but that's going to be a lot of repeaters for a trip that long, so that may not be feasible.

Reactions: KyleGrant

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
What radio do you have? If it’s supported by RT Systems I’d highly encourage you to purchase that. For my Yaesu FTM400, I can plan a route in RT systems and it will automatically poll repeaters along the route. Makes road trip programming an absolute breeze.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

RepeaterBook. App. It will list the repeaters on the location you choose on their map. We are planning a trip to Banff so I loaded all the repeaters in the Canadian Rockies everywhere we are planning to go in my base and HTs. Unless things have changed drastically don’t expect chit chat with fellow overlanders along the trails. Several years ago we were in Colorado for 3 weeks didn’t hear anything, and yes the radios were programmed correctly.