Ensenada in November for Baja 1000 - any border crossing advice?

• HTML tutorial

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Hello, everyone! This November I’m finally going to take time for myself and drive to Baja for the Baja 1000. It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was a boy. The sad thing is my entire life I’ve lived only 200 miles from the start of most races!

It’s been 25+ years since I’ve driven into Mexico (I used to go to San Felipe every Memorial Day weekend) and understand now one must obtain a tourist visa at the border, as well as Mexican auto insurance. Would you recommend obtaining these beforehand? I’m planning on driving a little further and crossing in Tecate, instead of Tijuana, which means I need to pay attention to hours of operation. Unlike Tijuana, it’s my understanding Tecate is only open during typical business hours. Is there a particular time of day it’s best to cross?

Any thoughts you’d like to share are welcomed. For whatever reason, I have a little anxiety about screwing something up while crossing the border. I’ll most likely be traveling alone and my Spanish speaking ability these days is practically nil. Thank you!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I go all the time. Yes you should get a tourist permit. When you cross at the ate ether walk over and see the immigration office in Tecate. You’ll need to fill out paperwork, the 7 days is free the 180 cost about $30.00. Get your auto ins from Baja Bound on line.I don’t cross much in Tecate and don’t know the hours. Bring a good attitude and your language skill will matter less. Crossing south will be wide open, going north, Sundays can be long. Don’t set up on the outside on a curve to turn.

Nissi

Rank 0

Contributor I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Harris
My wife and I visit Mexico very frequently. We own property in Jalisco. We love Ensenada and Via de Guadalupe. My advice is don’t take anything you don’t need. Also, some standard American items can get you in a lot of crap out there, ie firearms/Ammo, marijuana etc. I personally have never applied for a tourist visa or Mexican car insurance, but I’m sure they both would be wise decisions (although a visa is usually for a long stay)
Mexico is dangerous, the police are corrupt and if you aren’t careful your things will become someone else’s. I would recommend you take a few people with you.

also if you cross in Tijuana there are some AMAZING places to eat and a few world class coffee shops that would make your trip unique and memorable.

Last edited: