Rank I

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lawrence
Hello all,

Planning to travel to Baja within the next month or so. No particular endpoint, but probably will go well into Baja Sur. I traveled the entire peninsula 10-15 years ago, but the part that I don't like is getting through the border towns.

I'm wondering if there is a group that coordinates caravans down to Baja? I'm thinking that the caravan members do not necessarily need to have the same ultimate destination, but it would nice to get through the border towns with "safety in numbers."

Thoughts?

Thanks!

MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
Hello all,

Planning to travel to Baja within the next month or so. No particular endpoint, but probably will go well into Baja Sur. I traveled the entire peninsula 10-15 years ago, but the part that I don't like is getting through the border towns.

I'm wondering if there is a group that coordinates caravans down to Baja? I'm thinking that the caravan members do not necessarily need to have the same ultimate destination, but it would nice to get through the border towns with "safety in numbers."

Thoughts?

Thanks!
There are rv caravans that go to the Baja but they will drain your bank account. Hit the border at sunrise and get as far south of the border by the end of the first day and you'll be ok.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
If you just want a border buddy, try the Pan-American Travelers Association or On the Road in Mexico FB groups. There are probably other groups too but those are the ones we used.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Check FB's Talk Baja and Baja Caravans. There a lot of people on both.
Mexicali is the most popular entrance taking 5 south, it is faster and less mesa driving. Many like is as you bypass SQ and all the town traffic. Ensenada has a big road project and is also slow to get through.

JT87

Rank I

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lawrence
Many like is as you
Check FB's Talk Baja and Baja Caravans. There a lot of people on both.
Mexicali is the most popular entrance taking 5 south, it is faster and less mesa driving. Many like is as you bypass SQ and all the town traffic. Ensenada has a big road project and is also slow to get through.
Thanks for all the replies.

MMc: what is "SQ"? San Quintin? If San Quintin, what's the scene there these days that makes you want to bypass? Years ago, I heard of migrant labor there and some associated petty crime, but nothing too crazy.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yes, SQ is San Quintin. It is heavy farmed, so the roads are slow because of the farming equipment and busses taking folks to and from the fields. Many get upset because you average about 25 miles per hour for about 20 miles. I live in LA and don't care about driving slow anymore. I love the area, the outer bay and peninsula are very cool. Most folks are going 5 these days, I take 1 as I have my favorite places to eat and camp. You miss Cativina also buy taking 5. You'll most likely find others going 5 instead of 1.

Reactions: JT87