Aluboxes From Equipt Expedition Outfitters

• HTML tutorial

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Will get to the Aluboxes in a bit, but the ECS cases are what I have been using for camping since 2010.
http://www.ecscase.com/
I like them as they stack like Legos, no matter what size case you use, they will interlock with each other.

The two in this first pic are their big footlockers, I actually no longer use them as they take up a lot of space.

They took up tons of room, and since then I have downsized on what I take with me.

Then I switched over to their smaller footlocker along with a smaller box on top for my solar equipment and Goal Zero LED lights to string up around camp.

They are very nice cases, but with them being thick material, you do lose some space inside.
Enter the Alubox containers that Paul May at Equipment Expedition Outfitters carries.
They are made in Denmark, and essentially the same thing as Zarges aluminum boxes.
Overland Journal recently did a review on several containers for camping/overlanding/expeditions, and the Alubox got high marks.

I first bought the 42 liter one from Paul to use for my dry food goods, but I am now going to use it for my solar panel I use for the main battery in my rig, along with the LED lanterns.
A week later I bought the 60 liter one which showed up yesterday, and it now will be for my dry foods, and also for a few of the heavy items I use to keep in my chuckbox.
This will make it easier to carry my chuckbox out to my rig, then when setup in camp, I will transfer those heavy items back to the chuckbox.

Here are links to the two boxes from Paul:

Alu-Box 42 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA42
Alu-Box 60 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA60

I will still use the ECS footlocker for supplies, but may in the future switch over to an Alubox in the same size.
The Aluboxes are so light weight in comparison to the ECS cases.

Here are some pictures of the new boxes:

Last edited:

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Those are really good looking

OB 1643
Thanks!
I got the smaller one yesterday filled with six LED lanterns, the 60 watt Powerfilm foldable solar panel, and there is still a lot of room in it.
Thinking of getting a third one soon to replace the heavier ECS footlocker.
These being so light weight is what I really like about them the most, and no wasted space.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think you're showing off more than those cases. Do I see a couple PRS's hanging back there?

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Those boxes are nice. Do they rattle against each other while you're on the trail?
Oh, and MMmmmm...Mesa Boogie.
Not sure since I just got them.
Picked up the Mesa 25 a few Octobers ago with the two 1x12 cabs.
Great amp, but even turned down it is loud.
I think you're showing off more than those cases. Do I see a couple PRS's hanging back there?
Eight PRS (two American built to the left of the TV, the rest are the SE line), and a 2012 '61 Gibson SG Reissue, and a small Fernandez.
I get them all out this time of the year.

Reactions: Vyscera

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

I like your style. I'm a bassist, but I love to play on a PRS.
Cool.
I just dabble on the bass a bit.
A few years ago I went to a meet and greet with Paul Read and played the Grainger bass prototype, then when they announced two basses for the SE line, I bought the Kingfisher.
Great bass guitar.

RSO_Tyler

Rank 0

Contributor II

I like these a lot. What's the benefit of using quality storage boxes like this over a drawer system?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

I like these a lot. What's the benefit of using quality storage boxes like this over a drawer system?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Same here, I use my three drawer cargo box in the rear for tools, impact wrench, air drill, air hose to air up tires, etc.

The removable boxes like I have you can take them out of the rig and set them on the ground and setup camp.

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Well, I just ordered another box, the 73 liter should ship today, and I will have it Wednesday.
I will try and get all three Aluboxes out in my rig to see how they fit, and get some pictures Wednesday or Thursday, and update this thread.
Alu-Box 73 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA73

It has the same footprint as my 42 and 60 liter boxes.
The other day I measured the inside dimensions on my ECS footlocker I have been using, and the 60 liter Alubox which is a lot smaller width, length, and height wise than the ECS case is actually a little bigger on the inside.
See why I prefer these now?
They take up less space than the bigger ECS cases, but you get just as much interior space and more.

I could have done OK ordering another 60 liter, but the 73 liter one will give me extra space.
If I can cram the PETT toilet and supplies in the new box too, that will be one less thing taking up space outside of the box.
With the FJ Cruiser, space can dwindle very quickly.
Here is the footlocker it will be replacing.
One thing I liked about the ECS case though was the two removable trays on top, but I am going to use a couple of food storage containers to put the contents of the two trays into the new box, it should work out great.

This new box will be for storing four Coleman one lb propane bottles, bath towels, table cloth, propane lantern, hopefully the crapper :smiley: , and the rest of the stuff currently in the ECS footlocker.

This will also save a considerable amount of weight over the heavier ECS cases.

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

There is a delay in getting my new 73 liter box, as it is coming from a different warehouse other than from Equipt's in Utah.
Should arrive next Thursday, and I will try and update this thread with the third box in the rig.

For now I have the 60 liter on the bottom, and the 42 liter on top.
I am going to experiment with the best fit when the other one arrives.
I may turn them sideways if there is room, or just put the new one in front of these two.

Getting too shiny back there with the fridge, two tables, and now the Aluboxes

They will of course be strapped down when in transit

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Received my final Alubox yesterday, the 73 liter one.
Alu-Box 73 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA73

Transferred the contents from the much bigger ECS case, and there is more room in the smaller Alubox thanks to it utilizing all of its available space.
I even have room left over.

This box I decided to pimp out a bit with some of my stickers that have been piling up from purchases.
Not going to test fit this in the rig today, it is pouring outside right now.

Very pleased with my purchase of these, but it was an expensive one for sure.

All three with the same footprint stack nicely

The two nice trays contents from the ECS case are in two plastic bins with lids on the very bottom, which are hidden from view

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

This box I decided to pimp out a bit with some of my stickers that have been piling up from purchases.
I did the same thing when I bought a new tool box combo. brand new it looked like I had it years :smiley:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

I absolutely do NOT want take any business away from Paul May at Equipt, whom I met on out fall cross-country trip, and is a genuinely great guy.

That said, for slightly different size aluminum boxes, built very similarly, at a substantially lower price point, take a look at Deutsche Optik.

http://deutscheoptik.com/Bags-Pouches-Cases/aluminum-material-cases-set-of-3-with-free-shipping.html
That is a great deal, I wonder how they stack up as far as specs go?
I know in the Overland Journal Fall or Winter issue they ran an article on boxes, and the Alubox and Zarges had the exact same specs in thickness, and water and dust intrusion.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I wonder how they stack up as far as specs go?
I can't speak for the aluminum boxes, but that's where I bought my 4-pack of 20 liter jerry cans, and they are of very high quality. Much nicer than the more expensive cans I've seen. Mine are about five years old when DO had them custom made for them in Germany, and still had the old nozzle.