EpicPlanet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Dwayne
Last Name
Modisette
Hello all. I recently bought a 2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited with 134k miles for an overland build. Hoping to document the process here. It is currently completely stock. I did some light to moderate trails on the way home from buying it. Even in stock form, it was pretty impressive. I was by myself and without any recovery equipment, so I did not want to push it much. Can't wait to see what it can do.

I have a list of modifications in mind, but what would all yall suggest? Where should I start? Anyone here familiar with the Montero?

Attachments

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I had a 1990 in Africa - standard and capable.

We have a 2016 Montero now and it too is (was) very capable in standard form. We did do some things to it to give it more capability for some more demanding travel. Some of the modifications have proved unnecessary so I'd avoid spending money on anything until you really know whether it's warranted.

Comments on each modification:

· Dobinson’s heavy duty suspension with 50 mm lift - worthwhile in practice - crossing the Simpson the lift was definitely helpful, and we've been in some places where it's been useful. Having said this, the standard clearance and angles are very good.
· Mile Marker Scout 8000 winch - hardly every used, and only to help others. In reality we've ended up simply towing others from the standard rear hook, so the winch has really not been necessary.
· Safari Snorkel annd ARB transmission breather - we've done some deep water crossings (Gibb River Road for example), where the snorkel has definitley been good to have.
· Custom-built roof rack with sand flag mount and rear light - for the longest rip we;ve done in the vehicle (10 months) it was helpful, however we've continued the journey to minimal kit and don't think we'd put it back on again (we took it off after the long trip).
· Sand flag - legally required on one trip, so if we do another trip where required we'll figure out a different mount.
· Second spare wheel & tyre - definitely not needed, we had carried a second spare on our LC80 in Africa and didn't have a single puncture in 10 months. Carried a second spare in Australia on the Montero, on the advice of the WA government when heading into the Pilbara. WE did have a sngle, unrepariable, puncture, however the standard spare handled that. on our other big trips (11 months in Canada, 11 months in South America, in other vehicles, we' ve never needed a second spare, so we now carry only one.
· Extra fuel tanks on roof rack (100 L capacity, temporarily 120 L for the Simpson Desert) - necessary on a few occasions. This would be the only reason to put the roof rack on again.
· Built-in folding frame for bed with purpose-built mattress - basic requirement.
· Fire extinguisher and mounting - legal requirement
· Storage system below bed and bedside storage - basic requirement.
· Dometic 35 L refrigerator/freezer - definitely worthwhile.
· Custom-built storage lockers on slides - basic requirement.
· 44 L Frontrunner potable water tank - this was very valuable, however there are other options, including separate water cans.
· Window covers with ventilation adjustment - basic requirement.
· Mosquito nets for all windows and rear opening - basic requirement.
· Leather map pockets for both front seats - a useful addition, handmade.
· Side and rear awnings (Dobinson’s and ARB) - we've used these a lot less than we thought we would, both on the Montero and on the LC80. On our last long trip, in Canada, we used a different vehicle (shipping rates were through the roof so we left the Montero at home and bought/sold a Wrangler - we didn;t put an awaning on it, and really didn;t miss having one, although if travelling in hot deserts or bush country we'd probably want one.
· Compressor (Primary - AC-PRO Air 150, Back-up AP Everyday C36A-54) - basic requirement.

Reactions: EpicPlanet

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
Not that much of my stuff applies, since yours is a 4-door with more room for stuff, but I have a build thread (right above yours at the moment) that documents my "from scratch" setup that's mostly DIY stuff / on a budgets. Some of it may be of use - and some of it is good ideas I stole from other people who had them first. In any case, welcome aboard.

Reactions: EpicPlanet

EpicPlanet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Dwayne
Last Name
Modisette
@irish44j Read through your Sequoia build. Great stuff! Read through some of your Raider and BMW Rally car builds too. All really interesting. I'll look through more later. Is the vehicle in your profile pic yours too? Do you have a link to that build thread?

Reactions: irish44j

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
@irish44j Read through your Sequoia build. Great stuff! Read through some of your Raider and BMW Rally car builds too. All really interesting. I'll look through more later. Is the vehicle in your profile pic yours too? Do you have a link to that build thread?
That's the Raider in the profile pic lol...just dirty :) You on GRM then? My Raider thread here is a carbon-copy of the one over there, I update both at the same time. I used to have a couple threads on ExPo but it runs so slow these days I kind of stopped updating those and moved here.

EpicPlanet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Dwayne
Last Name
Modisette
That's the Raider in the profile pic lol...just dirty :) You on GRM then? My Raider thread here is a carbon-copy of the one over there, I update both at the same time. I used to have a couple threads on ExPo but it runs so slow these days I kind of stopped updating those and moved here.
LOL! I see that now that I enlarge the pic. Looks like a different vehicle in the thumbnail. Haven't joined GRM, but I've read through some of the threads. Found the links you posted on here.