Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Adirondacks, NY
First Name
Kenny
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

What is best auxillary battery to use in cold weather region and with a redarc BCDC1225D charger/isolator? Want a 100AH battery that will fit on auxillary battery tray in SUV (tray size 11"x10" ) Thx.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
You are best to go with an Aggregated Glass Mat (AGM) battery. They are designed to work in the heat of an engine bay and can cope with cold without having heating elements (as required for lithium batteries).
AGM batteries cannot be fully discharged without shortening their lifespan so if you can fit a battery with a higher AH rating into the space you are best to do that.

K1mj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Kayvan
Last Name
Zadeh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YEB
Here is a chart to common car battery sizes. As you can see 24, 34, 35 should fit and there are AGMs within those sizes.

But like others mentioned AGM will never give you the full rated capacity. You should try to keep it 70% charged. Discharging below 50% will rapidly reduce battery life.

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
Typical 100ah battery won’t fit. I presently have the optima yellow top 55ah. Just looking for something larger but, yes, worried about cold weather charging with a lithium. Thx.
How cold are you talking? There are LiFePo4 batteries that will charge down to -4F now. LiTime comes to mind. They also have self-heating options. I would think your RedArc would keep you from changing a cold battery. Also, if you need to charge it on a really cold day/night, since it will be in the engine compartment you will be able to heat it up by running the engine.

ADK Kenny

Rank I

Contributor III

Fulton County, New York, United States
First Name
Kenny
Last Name
Ackerman
Typical 100ah battery won’t fit. I presently have the optima yellow top 55ah. Just looking for something larger but, yes, worried about cold weather charging with a lithium. Thx.
How cold are you talking? There are LiFePo4 batteries that will charge down to -4F now. LiTime comes to mind. They also have self-heating options. I would think your RedArc would keep you from changing a cold battery. Also, if you need to charge it on a really cold day/night, since it will be in the engine compartment you will be able to heat it up by running the engine.
I do live in upstate Ny Adirondack state park and it can have its good winter temps. Is Litime compatible with a Redarc BCDC 12/25D?

timothyjmeyer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hammond, WI, USA
Member #

I've used an ‎Odyssey ‎34-PC1500T AGM, with my Redarc BCDC1240D without any issues here in west central Wisconsin. I leave it at the airport outside for 6-7- days at a time, in sub-zero weather. I went with the AGM as it can withstand engine bay heat, and you can use it to jumpstart the starter battery, unlike the deep cycle. I believe Redarc has a recommendation not to mount Lithiums in the engine.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I do live in upstate Ny Adirondack state park and it can have its good winter temps. Is Litime compatible with a Redarc BCDC 12/25D?
I think most lithium batteries are compatible with RedArc BCDC chargers. If you regularly see temps below 0 degrees F, especially when camping/overlanding, I look at the LiTime batteries with an internal heater. Or any higher quality heated lithium battery.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
Kenny, I do not believe KS is correct about lithium and LiTime going to -4f for charging. That number is the limit for DISCHARGING from all the batteries I have seen.

@KS_Explorer , can you provide a link to the spec sheets for LiTime showing a CHARGE capability to -4f? I don't think you are correct, though I wish you were... I don't want bad advice causing OP to buy the wrong battery for cold weather though...
Here is the temp spec sheet for the first 15 LiTime batteries I looked at:
Screenshot_20240504_132327_Samsung Internet.jpg