Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Suspension next.
We love our big truck. We sleep indoors on a 6” trifold mattress, have quick setup and takedown kitchen using two boxes: one houses our custom Chuck box kitchen, the other our dry goods. We also use a tire table for the grill and a small collapsable one for food prep and Chuck box. Not as streamlined as the pull out kitchen, but sleeping comfortably and totally out of the weather is our goal.
Not a rock crawler, but gets us out there!
Let me know if anyone wants a pic of kitchen in a bin

Attachments

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I camp with pretty much the same kind of set up in the back of my dodge. Action packer kitchen and fold out tables too. Takes me and the wife about ten minutes to set up camp. There have been a couple of times when the dodge was down that we’ve had to use our Tahoe. Sure wish the dodge rode as nice as the Tahoe. The extra room in the XL sure would be nice. Nice looking rig.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I camp with pretty much the same kind of set up in the back of my dodge. Action packer kitchen and fold out tables too. Takes me and the wife about ten minutes to set up camp. There have been a couple of times when the dodge was down that we’ve had to use our Tahoe. Sure wish the dodge rode as nice as the Tahoe. The extra room in the XL sure would be nice. Nice looking rig.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Thanks. Can’t wait to get out on the trail with a little support from one another when things return to normal! It’d be really nice to look at either’s set up in person and be able to physically learn how things work! It’s all in the details.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

When my wife and I camp we are generally hunting, scouting out a hunt or fishing. Most of our camp is packed in action packers. I think what makes everything work great for us is being flexible. We can base camp for a while, or spend a night or 2 and relocate until we reach the destination we planned on getting to. We will drag along our little Willis pick up bed trailer or our side by side on its trailer. There have even been time we’ve packed the absolute minimum and used our side by side as our only means of travel, riding from home to our camp sites as we travel for a few days.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Suspension next.
We love our big truck. We sleep indoors on a 6” trifold mattress, have quick setup and takedown kitchen using two boxes: one houses our custom Chuck box kitchen, the other our dry goods. We also use a tire table for the grill and a small collapsable one for food prep and Chuck box. Not as streamlined as the pull out kitchen, but sleeping comfortably and totally out of the weather is our goal.
I am selling my 1990 Suburban and just got a 2008 Suburban (both 2500s). I would love to see more pictures of your set-up, kitchen box, sleeping set-up, etc. What worked in my old Sub, does not fit/work the same in my new one.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Suspension next.
I am selling my 1990 Suburban and just got a 2008 Suburban (both 2500s). I would love to see more pictures of your set-up, kitchen box, sleeping set-up, etc. What worked in my old Sub, does not fit/work the same in my new one.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I think the bumper was a 170lbs just by itself. Let me research my receipts and give you a better answer as far as bumper , winch and lights. The problem with these older model trucks is that there are very few off the rack options to choose from if any. I just liked the look and functionality of this one for my use. I also have a 5.3 ltr V8 to push it with and I’m not carrying a roof top tent. Everything is a trade off.

drexotic

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Jenkins
Suspension next.
Nice looking rig. Tell me about that bumper.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Suspension next.
Here’s the two box, two table camp kitchen setup...
I attached wood blocks with sticky material to the tire table so the grill doesn’t move. Also, in the Chuck box drawers, I attached plexiglass covers with Velcro so the drawer contents don’t fall out when you pack the kitchen up. The four magnetic lights work great. Two basic ones for the grill, and the other two are rechargeable, magnetic and capable of charging other devices. So far really happy with this setup. The water jug has a rechargeable pump on top- very convenient. Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

Reactions: Spartant@b

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

What did you use to paint your hood?
Here’s the product I used on the hood. I think about six coats, each one in a different direction from the prior. Holding up really well so far. I used two different products on my brushed aluminum wheels. Also, doing well, but haven’t seen much trail time yet- can’t wait!

Attachments

Reactions: Sparksalot

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Suspension next.
Nice looking rig. Tell me about that bumper.
Trailready bumper with winch and light mounts.

Attachments