Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I've researched and debated, to myself, by spending wisely how best to equip for overlanding trips. For a while now, I've been conflicted. I went back and forth between truck camper, Tear Drop trailer, trailer w/RoofTop Tent, and on and on.

I was trying to solve multiple situations with the same "setup", and IT JUST DIDN'T WORK.This has led to compromise(s). Finally, I had to realize that the trips I've been taking totally depended on who went with me. If it was my SIL we always shot for out of the way remote destinations, and if it was my wife we'd gravitate to more organized campgrounds with more amenities.

So the solution, for now, is 2 different setups for basically 2 different "styles" of overlanding.

My wife and I leave after the 4th for our big trip this year to Colorado and we'll be taking our 20' Winnebago travel trailer and the FJ. We'll stay for a month in 1 campground on the western slope of Rocky Mountain National Park. From this campground we'll do day runs on National Forest roads and trails. The FJ is equipped with a portable kitchen/fridge setup so we'll find a "primo" location to picnic and enjoy the mountains each day. Plan is to explore as much of the western slope as possible in a month. Each evening we'll head back to the campground. I guess you'd call that style extended stay/day trippin.

With my SIL it's totally different. We hook up the trailer/RTT and head out to remote places like Big Bend Ranch State Park and disappear into the back country for days on end, usually camping in a different location each night, and hopefully reaching pavement only on the last day. I guess you'd call that style explorin/boondockin.

For each style, the basic equipment on the FJ remains the same, only the lodging and location of the lodging changes.

What's your overlanding style(s), and what compromises have you made? Does it work, or are you rethinking your equipment and objectives?

Reactions: Zdorf

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I've researched and debated, to myself, by spending wisely how best to equip for overlanding trips. For a while now, I've been conflicted. I went back and forth between truck camper, Tear Drop trailer, trailer w/RoofTop Tent, and on and on.

I was trying to solve multiple situations with the same "setup", and IT JUST DIDN'T WORK.This has led to compromise(s). Finally, I had to realize that the trips I've been taking totally depended on who went with me. If it was my SIL we always shot for out of the way remote destinations, and if it was my wife we'd gravitate to more organized campgrounds with more amenities.

So the solution, for now, is 2 different setups for basically 2 different "styles" of overlanding.

My wife and I leave after the 4th for our big trip this year to Colorado and we'll be taking our 20' Winnebago travel trailer and the FJ. We'll stay for a month in 1 campground on the western slope of Rocky Mountain National Park. From this campground we'll do day runs on National Forest roads and trails. The FJ is equipped with a portable kitchen/fridge setup so we'll find a "primo" location to picnic and enjoy the mountains each day. Plan is to explore as much of the western slope as possible in a month. Each evening we'll head back to the campground. I guess you'd call that style extended stay/day trippin.

With my SIL it's totally different. We hook up the trailer/RTT and head out to remote places like Big Bend Ranch State Park and disappear into the back country for days on end, usually camping in a different location each night, and hopefully reaching pavement only on the last day. I guess you'd call that style explorin/boondockin.

For each style, the basic equipment on the FJ remains the same, only the lodging and location of the lodging changes.

What's your overlanding style(s), and what compromises have you made? Does it work, or are you rethinking your equipment and objectives?
I have gone over that question a many of times lol. The original plan was to build my truck to be the sole supporter of trips. But I was going to be going mostly myself with friends in their rigs. Now that my wife's and mom's health are significantly better ..... a new plan has been born lol. They both prefer to be in campsites ( even primitive just the name "campsite" makes them feel safer). So we plan to get a pop up trailer like the Jayco baja for Fleetwood/Coleman evo. The truck will then over time have bare minimum set up to support a weekend guy trip where we do more off the beaten path drives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting question...
I am one of the lucky ones, in that, my wife prefers back country camping. Established campgrounds are OK, and in some National parks there is no other choice, but all in all we both prefer being out and very much alone. Since that is what we do, we utilize our Landcruiser, expo trailer, back packs and ground tents for our tours. For overnighters we have a small 3 man tent. For multiple night stays we employ our Oztent Jet Tent 25x. Our trailer is used for carrying food, water, extra petro, gear, our 3 legged portable toilet, etc. The rear compartment is our kitchen, complete with running water. Up on our vehicle rack is our tent heater, our big tent, propane bottle, traction boards and 120 watt solar panel. Inside the rig we have a drawer sytem, (home built) and a small fridge freezer mounted where the center console used to be. All told, we have roughly twenty thousand invested in everything.
We are good for about 5 days off grid until we need to replenish petro, ice, water and perishable foods. Just in case, we carry about a months worth ( if rationed ) of MREs and a water purification system. We are, in all sense of the word, self contained.
We have decided that in another 10 years or so, when I might be too old and feeble to handle our large ground tent it may become necessary for us to consider a Sportmobile or something along those lines to continue our exploration of the continent. Oh,, BTW,, Big Bend & Big Bend Ranch is one of our favorite places to visit. We've been there once for just a week, but am returning next January. DSC00186.jpg

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I like my teardrop. It is equally well suited on the highway or on extreme off road.

Reactions: MOAK

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Funny you brought this up, we spent about two hours last night in the parking lot after our club meeting talking about this very question and of course everyone had a different solution. One thing is you cant let the question go on to long it will consume you, pick a "style" and go for it and if it doesn't work change. At least thats how I've been doing it and there has been lots of change.

Reactions: MOAK and Winterpeg

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I've been bushwacking for 40 years up and down the Rocky Mountains. I married a city girl, so she is into creature comforts, hence the teardrop. I designed it to accommodate a queen size mattress and it has full galley. I even have a heater and air conditioner, and just for her, satellite TV.

Why in the heck you would want to watch TV where we go, I will never understand, but if I want her to tag along, I have to make allowances.

Reactions: Kent R