Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

So,

You have 50 GBP = 66 USD = 87 AUD (Not a penny more) to spend on overland kit - rig or camp kit - whichever - a one off purchase.

What would you buy?

List something essential - would be just plain stupid not to have on board
and
List something for fun - for those happy evenings around the camp fire

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Sawyer mini squeeze water filter $19.00
First aid kit $10.00
Signal Mirror $5.00
Whistle $6.00
6 inch Fire starter $10.00
Boone Hat $10.00
Small Tyvek tarp $6.00

Reactions: HEYElliott

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

For $66 I second the Tank of gas and some snacks and go somewhere.

Though the ARB Tire Deflator is also on my list.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I think a tire patch kit would be a good buy. Although I just carry an inexpensive one from the local auto parts store.

I have several Coleman lanterns, they can be had reasonably priced used and are great light around camp that don't deplete batteries or need recharged.

A couple old military wool blankets are nice to have on hand. They can be used as table cloths, picnic blankets, nap on a sunny hill top or even used to keep warm if you feel it necessary. They hold something like 70% of their insulating ability if they get wet!

A couple medium sized totes to store gear in or keep in your vehicle are handy too.

How about an inexpensive compressor to reinflate your tires after airing down? You can air down with about any pointy instrument in your pocket but you can do some serious tire damage driving for long distances on under inflated tires.

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

How about an inexpensive compressor to reinflate your tires after airing down? You can air down with about any pointy instrument in your pocket but you can do some serious tire damage driving for long distances on under inflated tires.
Any recommendation on a good inexpensive compressor?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Any recommendation on a good inexpensive compressor?
The Viair 88p is a good one:

This little Chinese job does pretty well too. A buddy has had one for several years now. The plastic hose breaks up so I'd recommend getting a rubber hose for it eventually. Just have to get you a coupler that works with the factory connector which should be a Type M fitting or if you wind up with old-stock with the Q fitting, you can buy their fitting for the Type M here.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterflow-12v-High-Volume-Air-Compressor-Inflator/12321236?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228009352735&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40839387032&wl4=pla-78652586792&wl5=9008851&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=12321236&wl13=&veh=sem

Neither of those have a pressure switch to shut them off so you'll want to use a NAPA 90-455 coupler with them. It's normally open and won't build up pressure and burst your hose. It's a nice quick connector that clips on the valve stem so you don't have to stand there and hold it while the tire inflates.

Last edited:
Reactions: yabbaz

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

ARB Recovery Strap....................I've torn apart the eyes of other manufacturer's versions.

With the tastebuds of a dung beetle, exclusive/expensive booze is wasted on me. The $16.00 left over from the ARB purchase could keep me in a mild alcohol induced haze for an entire excursion AND buy the 250 count ibuprofen to smother the requisite banger-of-a-headache sure to follow the cheap booze.

Reactions: Boort

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
DIY Limb Risers. I have some odds and ends lying around that'll help keep it within the budget.
For fun, I'd stock my cooler full of craft beers. You'd be surprised at how fast $66 can go on that stuff!

Reactions: nickburt

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I really like these tailgaterz for organizing my kitchen and camping gear. They roll everything up and I just hang them from the truck when I set up camp. I think they were about $30 on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Those are pretty slick. Interesting. Can't wait to get to overland east this year and see what all is out there for 2018.