Yeti 35 or 50 cooler for 2019 Subaru Outback?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Yeti 35 or 50 cooler for 2019 Subaru Outback? What would be a better fit in a Gen5? Worth the space sacrifice to get the 50?

Typical uses;
2 people
3-4 days
Outside temps HOT AF!
Not interested in other brands and price is not a factor.
No I’m rolling in cash or crazy I have a “deal” from a “guy”

DaveEli

Rank I

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, Va.
Member #

We have had two different sizes of Yeti coolers, followed all their recommendations in how to pack them, and we have found that they don’t perform any better than the inexpensive coolers. We had to buy ice just as often. Just our opinion.
With a fridge you can pack more food and drinks and spend less time making ice runs. And, no soggy food. Again just our opinion

SoCalGX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Member #

Yeti 35 or 50 cooler for 2019 Subaru Outback? What would be a better fit in a Gen5? Worth the space sacrifice to get the 50?

Typical uses;
2 people
3-4 days
Outside temps HOT AF!
Not interested in other brands and price is not a factor.
No I’m rolling in cash or crazy I have a “deal” from a “guy”
You’ll need to factor in how you’ll use it and what other gear you’ll be hauling to answer that question... Either is going to fit in the Outback with 2 people, and your specific cooling needs are what should dictate the choice.

A 50 will be more ideal of you like beer and sleep in a backpacking tent. But a 30 could be fine if you’ll mainly stock it with food and have a lot of other bulky equipment to bring on your trips.

I used to carry a cheap igloo 65 in my ‘13 Outback and found that with all that capacity we would just fill it with more beer than we needed for long weekend trips. (I know... 1st world problem! )

I’m in the process of switching to an Orca 40 even though I now drive a GX which has substantially more cargo space. I personally just don’t need as much capacity on most trips, and would rather save the space for other stuff.

I own several types of roto-molded coolers they "all" serve me well & give me 5 days of ice realistically. Personally I can not tell any difference in the performance of each one other than the latch assembly on them, they all perform outstanding. Fridges are no more than a personal preference also, I've always own Engels for my reason over other brands. Fridges have their place & IMO what works for the individual may not be to your taste.

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I own several types of roto-molded coolers they "all" serve me well & give me 5 days of ice realistically. Personally I can not tell any difference in the performance of each one other than the latch assembly on them, they all perform outstanding. Fridges are no more than a personal preference also, I've always own Engels for my reason over other brands. Fridges have their place & IMO what works for the individual may not be to your taste.
Thank you.

May just get the 50 as the only dimensional difference is just under 3” lengthwise.

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I found that if you keep the cooler off the ground the ice keeps longer. Theirs other factors that come to play on roto coolers why ice don't last. I use fridge\cooler stands but a plastic collapsible set stool works well.
I kind of plan it as just leave it in the back of the car thing but thanks for the tip.

Red Stick

Rank I

Contributor I

I have a 50 quart K2. Rarely I wish it was a 70 but I never think I’d be better off if it was smaller.

Once the ice is in it’s really not that much space inside.

Jrahn0822

Rank V

Advocate III

Sioux City, Iowa
Member #

Smart move on getting the 50. Then you can get dividers and baskets for it. Granted I will tell you that the Yetis are good, but there are much better coolers out there. At least you got a cooler to keep the beer cold for your adventures.

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Smart move on getting the 50. Then you can get dividers and baskets for it. Granted I will tell you that the Yetis are good, but there are much better coolers out there. At least you got a cooler to keep the beer cold for your adventures.
I don’t disagree. However, I got a great deal and it was either a Yeti 35 a Yeti 50.

Salty4Life

Rank VI

Contributor I

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

With yetis my advice would be to go one size bigger than you think you need. They advertise that it will hold x number of cans, x pounds of ice ext. but that not all together. If you want that amount of ice and beer, go one size up.