Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
they posted a video of the conditions... roads are missing completely in some areas.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We spend a lot of time in Yellowstone, and have driven all the roads in all kinds of seasons and weather, what is seen here and on the news here is absolutly incredible. We have travelled over that bridge many times, heading up into Tom Minor Creek Road a few miles outside of Gardiner and Yellowstone park, was a historic camel back truss bridge built in 1918. from arial footage it looks like much of the damage is from Mammoth north toward Livingston MT, North Entrance road is more gone then remains, and Gardiner is complely cut off. Will be interesting to see how fast they can repair damage, and how much people are irritated by the fact that the park is closed. Hoping there have not been any casulties a and that the first responders and work crews stay safe.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Lots of News coverage on YT. Red Lodge nearly got wiped off the map. Storm is heading East, get prepped if your'e in the path.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I left Yellowstone due to the rain, a day before they announced the closure. Cut short my visit by three days. It’ll probably take years to repair the roads and have a negative economic effect on the Gardiner area if the north entrance remains closed for an extended period.
Even down here in Grand Teton, the Gros Ventre River is much higher, as well as the mountain streams, and there’s standing water that wasn’t here a week ago.

Reactions: OTH Overland

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Chatted with my nephew today. He's up in Gallatin Gateway. Says the bridge upstream held, so they are not entirely cut off at this point. Glad to say he, his wife and the new baby are well. But I dont know that's true for others

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
UPDATE (6/14 at 6:38 p.m.)⚠
Northern portion of Yellowstone National Park likely to remain closed for a substantial length of time due to severely damaged, impacted infrastructure; Visitors traveling to park in coming weeks must stay informed about current situation, road and weather conditions.
- Aerial assessments conducted Monday, June 13, by Yellowstone show major damage to multiple sections of road between the North Entrance (Gardiner, Montana), Mammoth Hot Springs, Lamar Valley and Cooke City, Montana, near the Northeast Entrance.
- Many sections of road in these areas are completely gone and will require substantial time and effort to reconstruct.
- The National Park Service will make every effort to repair these roads as soon as possible; however, it is probable that road sections in northern Yellowstone will not reopen this season due to the time required for repairs.
- To prevent visitors from being stranded in the park if conditions worsen, the park in coordination with Yellowstone National Park Lodges made the decision to have all visitors move out of overnight accommodations (lodging and campgrounds) and exit the park.
- All entrances to Yellowstone National Park remain temporarily CLOSED while the park waits for flood waters to recede and can conduct evaluations on roads, bridges and wastewater treatment facilities to ensure visitor and employee safety.
- There will be no inbound visitor traffic at any of the five entrances into the park, including visitors with lodging and camping reservations, until conditions improve and park infrastructure is evaluated.
- The park’s southern loop appears to be less impacted than the northern roads and teams will assess damage to determine when opening of the southern loop is feasible. This closure will extend minimally through next weekend (June 19).
- Due to the northern loop being unavailable for visitors, the park is analyzing how many visitors can safely visit the southern loop once it’s safe to reopen. This will likely mean implementation of some type of temporary reservation system to prevent gridlock and reduce impacts on park infrastructure.
- At this time, there are no known injuries nor deaths to have occurred in the park as a result of the unprecedented flooding.
- Effective immediately, Yellowstone’s backcountry is temporarily closed while crews assist campers (five known groups in the northern range) and assess damage to backcountry campsites, trails and bridges.
- The National Park Service, surrounding counties and states of Montana and Wyoming are working with the park’s gateway communities to evaluate flooding impacts and provide immediate support to residents and visitors.
- Water levels are expected to recede today in the afternoon; however, additional flood events are possible through this weekend.
‼ For more information about current conditions and how to stay informed, visit: go.nps.gov/220613
Photos:
1. Condition of North Entrance Road between Gardiner, Montana, and Mammoth Hot Springs (NPS / Doug Kraus)
2. Condition of Northeast Entrance Road (NPS / Jacob W. Frank)

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Kent, thanks for the update. Park employee’s say the damage is far worse from Cooke City to Mammoth Hot Springs, which hasn’t been seen, because most of the film / video is of the Yellowstone River drainage from Canyon Village. An N. P. employee says that the road from Canyon Village to the Lamar Junction MAY NOT be rebuilt! Time will tell. What is clear, is that the “environmental lobby” will use the this to limit humans in the park! I have fought them for decades! I’m done, rant off. Peace, leave it better than you found it! David

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Our favorite stretch of land is from Grand Teton north through Jasper. We spent a month between Grand Teton and Yellowstone last summer. After heading up to Glacier then looping through the Sawtooth Recreation area of Idaho we made one last run through Yellowstone and Grand Teton before heading to Colorado. We really loved stopping at Running Bear in West Yellowstone for fantastic breakfasts. Our hearts go out to everyone who lives around there and to the park itself.

Reactions: Kozysnack