Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Hi there! As some of you may know, the Yakima Lock n Load platform is a great set up but there are little to no accessories to mount in comparison to its competitors (I.e. the pre runner, black rhino, etc.) and so I wanted to start a thread of how people are mounting their gear to their lock n load platforms! I have come up with a few solutions so if you need any suggestions please let me know and comment/post anything you guys have created!

Attachments

Reactions: CG87

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Just installed my EEZI-AWN K9 dual Jerry can mount and I love the look of it but just doesn’t fit the gap as well as I would have liked for $160, however, at the end of the day it’s a much more affordable option than the Yakima branded mounts for literally $120 a pop!? I had to ditch the stock hardware and get some Thule bolt rack systems and then put some washers and such to close the gap! After that, it all came together nicely and if you’re looking for a similar system I recommend this format!

Attachments

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform. Rhino rack sells a bolt kit for Rotopax mounts, they're pricey. You can piece one together with a channel nut and a bolt much cheaper. The thin Rotopax 2 gal water jugs work well, thin enough you can still strap a roof bag and other stuff on top of them. The Fuel cans are tricky on the roof laying flat. They swell and make it difficult to unmount, but it works and hasn't leaked in 3 years. Also, rotopax has an extended mount so you can stack the cans on top of each other. The pioneer rack is rated for 290lbs dynamic and 530lbs static, so you could set it up with 2 gal water and fuel cans on the first layer, then strap your tent, cot, and waterproof roof bag a top...I love these types of racks, good thread! It wasn't until I was messing with this rack and the load limits, I learned that water weighs 4.34lbs a gallon and gasoline weighs 2 lbs a gallon. But I also just learned that pant zippers flip up and lock... 44 years wearing pants, had no clue.

Attachments

Reactions: Nbyapp

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform. Rhino rack sells a bolt kit for Rotopax mounts, they're pricey. You can piece one together with a channel nut and a bolt much cheaper. The thin Rotopax 2 gal water jugs work well, thin enough you can still strap a roof bag and other stuff on top of them. The Fuel cans are tricky on the roof laying flat. They swell and make it difficult to unmount, but it works and hasn't leaked in 3 years. Also, rotopax has an extended mount so you can stack the cans on top of each other. The pioneer rack is rated for 290lbs dynamic and 530lbs static, so you could set it up with 2 gal water....

If I could go back, I believe I would have gotten a similar system because of the rotopax and accessories, as of right now there are no rotopax mounts in the Yakima store and I hear that black rhino just has a stupid amount of accessories!

And thanks for the insights about the gas weight, I had no idea the weight changes in gas vs water!

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform. Rhino rack sells a bolt kit for Rotopax mounts, they're pricey. You can piece one together with a channel nut and a bolt much cheaper. The thin Rotopax 2 gal water jugs work well, thin enough you can still strap a roof bag and other stuff on top of them. The Fuel cans are tricky on the roof laying flat. They swell and make it difficult to unmount, but it works and hasn't leaked in 3 years. Also, rotopax has an extended mount so you can stack the cans on top of each other. The pioneer rack is rated for 290lbs dynamic and 530lbs static, so you could set it up with 2 gal water....

If I could go back, I believe I would have gotten a similar system because of the rotopax and accessories, as of right now there are no rotopax mounts in the Yakima store and I hear that black rhino just has a stupid amount of accessories!

And thanks for the insights about the gas weight, I had no idea the weight changes in gas vs water!
If your rack has the C channels, which it looks like it does, you can get a couple of flat c channel nuts and bolts that fit. Hell the Rhino Rack hardware might work, and the mount plates 2nd pic are the same no matter the rack. You use 2 bolts for each mounting plate.

Attachments

Reactions: Nbyapp

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

If your rack has the C channels, which it looks like it does, you can get a couple of flat c channel nuts and bolts that fit. Hell the Rhino Rack hardware might work, and the mount plates 2nd pic are the same no matter the rack. You use 2 bolts for each mounting plate.
OMGGG! Those are it! You’re a god send thank you!

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
That looks like Superstrut hardware. Home Depot will have that in the store. Might be worth checking to see if it fits.