Yaesu FTM-400XDR vs Kenwood D710G

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Delkat

Rank I

Traveler I

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6AET
I've been researching this decision but, due to my limited experience, can't seem to come to a conclusion. I live in the Bay Area and my trips are West Coast centric. I know the Yaesu is $100 cheaper on sale right now, but is also on backorder and I'm not too concerned about the price difference.

I keep reading that the Kenwood implements APRS better and has some advantages over the Yaesu but the Yaesu has better digital modes and might have other advantages over the Kenwood.

For overlanding purposes on the West Coast, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Rolando M

Rank 0

Traveler III

Northern California, CA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KK6ZIK
I've been researching this decision but, due to my limited experience, can't seem to come to a conclusion. I live in the Bay Area and my trips are West Coast centric. I know the Yaesu is $100 cheaper on sale right now, but is also on backorder and I'm not too concerned about the price difference.

I keep reading that the Kenwood implements APRS better and has some advantages over the Yaesu but the Yaesu has better digital modes and might have other advantages over the Kenwood.

For overlanding purposes on the West Coast, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
I have the Kenwood TM-281A single band 2 meters, easy to program very reliable. $138 on sale at Hamradio outlet. Good luck. KK6ZIK #17420

theorangekl

Rank V

Traveler III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD2RMS
I just picked up the ftm400xdr. I’m a pretty new ham. I’m still learning all the modes and different pages but I can tell you that the menu and relatively large touch screen makes going through the menus really easy.

I just looked up a picture of the Kenwood. I think the Yaesu is easier on the eyes. There’s not all that much on the screen to distract the eyes from what’s important. It’s a pretty simple thing to look at. The frequencies numbers are large. The names of the frequencies or repeaters that you program in are large and easy to read at a quick glance. The eyes don’t have to look for that information. As for the technical specs, Iv got nothing to comment on. I don’t really know what I’m talking about in that sense.

These two pictures are what I’m going off of purely based on looks and ergonomics as far as the eyes go

IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6535.JPG

TerryD

Rank VI

Influencer II

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
I ordered the Yaesu but wound up swapping to the Kenwood because of the back order. The Kenwood will also do regular packet with just a cord to a laptop where you'll have to have a separate TNC to use that with the Yaesu. Might be a big deal for you or not. I wanted to be able to do WINLink with mine locally so that was a plus for me.

I just got it up and going today, so we'll see how I feel after a few weeks of playing with it.