Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I've been researching this decision but, due to my limited experience, can't seem to come to a conclusion. I live in the Bay Area and my trips are West Coast centric. I know the Yaesu is $100 cheaper on sale right now, but is also on backorder and I'm not too concerned about the price difference.

I keep reading that the Kenwood implements APRS better and has some advantages over the Yaesu but the Yaesu has better digital modes and might have other advantages over the Kenwood.

For overlanding purposes on the West Coast, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 37338

I've been researching this decision but, due to my limited experience, can't seem to come to a conclusion. I live in the Bay Area and my trips are West Coast centric. I know the Yaesu is $100 cheaper on sale right now, but is also on backorder and I'm not too concerned about the price difference.

I keep reading that the Kenwood implements APRS better and has some advantages over the Yaesu but the Yaesu has better digital modes and might have other advantages over the Kenwood.

For overlanding purposes on the West Coast, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
I have the Kenwood TM-281A single band 2 meters, easy to program very reliable. $138 on sale at Hamradio outlet. Good luck. KK6ZIK #17420

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I just picked up the ftm400xdr. I’m a pretty new ham. I’m still learning all the modes and different pages but I can tell you that the menu and relatively large touch screen makes going through the menus really easy.

I just looked up a picture of the Kenwood. I think the Yaesu is easier on the eyes. There’s not all that much on the screen to distract the eyes from what’s important. It’s a pretty simple thing to look at. The frequencies numbers are large. The names of the frequencies or repeaters that you program in are large and easy to read at a quick glance. The eyes don’t have to look for that information. As for the technical specs, Iv got nothing to comment on. I don’t really know what I’m talking about in that sense.

These two pictures are what I’m going off of purely based on looks and ergonomics as far as the eyes go

IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6535.JPG

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I ordered the Yaesu but wound up swapping to the Kenwood because of the back order. The Kenwood will also do regular packet with just a cord to a laptop where you'll have to have a separate TNC to use that with the Yaesu. Might be a big deal for you or not. I wanted to be able to do WINLink with mine locally so that was a plus for me.

I just got it up and going today, so we'll see how I feel after a few weeks of playing with it.

Reactions: J.W.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Today I order my Yaesu from HRO. The Kenwood is in stock in all of the stores and the Yaesu is not in any at the moment. Going from the Baofeng BFF8 to this high power monster is going to be fun - or at least I hope so. The main feature is going to be the APRS for my weekends away from home camping and metal detecting without my wife. She can jump on the internet and see exactly where I am at and I can send her messages( more easily with the Yaesu's touchscreen).

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm jealous of you all getting radios right now. I am hoping to get the 400XDR for the truck in the fall.

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Hey, anyone have to 400xdr in 5th gen 4runner? looking for suggestions on mounting options.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
I stopped by Ham Radio Outlet in Portland, OR and tried both radios before I bought mine. They're close enough in features that I didn't care too much, but I ended up liking the tactile feel of the keys on the Kenwood better. Here's how I have it mounted in my 4th gen 4Runner: Kenwood D710GA Mounting Solutions

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
I picked up a Yaesu FT-3DR handheld and like the digital so much I will be getting the 400XDR soon. I’m down here in souther California and the Wires X coverage is pretty good. For me I think the Yaesu system is easier to use than DStar or DMR

Reactions: Graeman

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Can't really comment on the Kenwood but the Yaesu is an excellent radio. Both my brother and my best friend are running the Yaesu FTM-400 and they are extremely happy with them. The radio handles APRS really well. In fact, my friend just drove from Colorado to SoCal and I tracked him the entire way via APRS. The Yaesu has excellent audio quality and is very easy to see when driving. For us older guys THAT is a big consideration! The programming can be a little bit of a hair puller, but if you pop for the RTSystems programming software and cable then it gets very easy. The Yaesu is also really easy to mount. The radio itself is tiny and fits under a seat easily. The control head cable is also tiny and it makes putting the head where you can see it pretty simple.

Reactions: Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The Yaesu is very sensitive to rfi and it really hates cheap LED lights. I had to replace all of my lights wiring with 20/2 shielded wire and that fixed the rfi issues. I went with the Yaesu over the Kenwood for a couple of reasons - color touch screen and the ability to text messages on the touchscreen.

Tex.Proud

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
In my area we have Yaesu System fusion repeaters. That's why I run the FTM-400. If your task is to do APRS operations, use the Kenwood D710G . It is far superior in that respect. Actually, if you with to use external sources to control your VHF/UHF radio, go with the Kenwood! Hands down! I've owned one, and sold it. Wish I didn't. As with anything HAM radio, there's a compromise. Yaesu has YSF digital and basic APRS. Kenwood has APRS superiority, but no digital modes.