XVenture XV-2 Expedition Trailer

• HTML tutorial

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

My wife and I have been drooling over the XVenture XV-2 trailers from Schutt Industries for years. We finally decided to pull the trigger and make the purchase. I ended up getting a great deal on a trailer that was used as a demo model. Here's the specs:
  • 2017 XV-2 Deluxe Plus Package
  • 22-Gallon fresh water tank
  • Elevating Rhino-Rack XV Rack with gas shock lift assist
  • Power control center with (2) Odyssey batteries
  • Zamp Solar Controller
  • LED lighting Expansion kit
  • Propane system with 3-burner stove
  • Triton hot water heater with sink faucet and shower head
  • Lockable folding tonneau cover
  • Foxwing Awning system with zippered extension
  • 50l ARB Fridge/Freezer
  • 7.5' Galley table with sink and drop in propane stove
  • ARB Air compressor
  • Max Coupler hitch

It's pretty stock right now, but there's still more to come:
  • Add my ARB Simpson III RTT to the rack
  • Swap out the stock tires and rims for Goodyear Duratrac 265/65/R18 to match my LR4
  • Purchase a solar panel for recharging the batteries
  • Trail Kitchen King Charles Chuck Box
There's more to come, so I'll be updating this thread as I learn about my new trailer and its capabilities. Please feel free to ask any questions about my XV-2. So far from a purchasing standpoint, I can't say enough good things about Schutt Industries. I mostly dealt with the owner Steve Schutt and he has been awesome to work with. They make a quality product that they stand behind.

Also worth mentioning is Trail Kitchens. I contacted them for some dimensions on their King Charles Chuck Box. I plan on using it above the galley, sitting on the fender. They not only provided exact measurements of their product, but they are modifying the sliders on the bottom to work better for my application!

Also a shout out to Foxwing/Oztent. While I haven't fully set it up yet, the Foxwing awning and components are some of the best quality I've seen. Even the tent stakes, poles, and ropes are way stronger than the average weekender gear you find in your local sporting goods store. While I don't consider myself a hard-core Overlander (I still have a day job), it's nice to buy the right gear the first time and have it perform flawlessly for years.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Woohoo, congrats, man! You're going to love that trailer and it's diverse capabilities.

I have the same XV-2, 2017, with most of the same options, though used my own stove, awning, and added their swing out tire carrier and Zamp inverter. I've already pulled my XV-2 around the country to the tune of over 10,000 miles, been to Overland Expo East with it, base camped for weeks on end off-grid in various places, etc. You can see more of mine in action in my posts here, but it would take some digging. Easier to see it on instagram, if you use that. My insta is in my signature.

I'll be watching to see what you do with yours, and if there's anything I can do for you, let me know. Would be fun to get our trailers together and invite a couple other XV-2 owners for a two-three day outing somewhere.

Reactions: KSTrekker

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Woohoo, congrats, man! You're going to love that trailer and it's diverse capabilities.

I have the same XV-2, 2017, with most of the same options, though used my own stove, awning, and added their swing out tire carrier and Zamp inverter. I've already pulled my XV-2 around the country to the tune of over 10,000 miles, been to Overland Expo East with it, base camped for weeks on end off-grid in various places, etc. You can see more of mine in action in my posts here, but it would take some digging. Easier to see it on instagram, if you use that. My insta is in my signature.

I'll be watching to see what you do with yours, and if there's anything I can do for you, let me know. Would be fun to get our trailers together and invite a couple other XV-2 owners for a two-three day outing somewhere.
Thanks Road! I'll be updating this thread with pics and asking for advice along the way! I love the idea of a XV-2 meetup somewhere!

Reactions: Road

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

My wife and I have been drooling over the XVenture XV-2 trailers from Schutt Industries for years. We finally decided to pull the trigger and make the purchase. I ended up getting a great deal on a trailer that was used as a demo model. Here's the specs:
  • Zamp Solar Controller
  • 50l ARB Fridge/Freezer
  • ARB Air compressor
  • Max Coupler hitch

• Swap out the stock tires and rims for Goodyear Duratrac 265/65/R18 to match my LR4
There's more to come, so I'll be updating this thread as I learn about my new trailer and its capabilities. Please feel free to ask any questions about my XV-2. So far from a purchasing standpoint, I can't say enough good things about Schutt Industries. I mostly dealt with the owner Steve Schutt and he has been awesome to work with. They make a quality product that they stand behind.

Also worth mentioning is Trail Kitchens. I contacted them for some dimensions on their King Charles Chuck Box. I plan on using it above the galley, sitting on the fender. They not only provided exact measurements of their product, but they are modifying the sliders on the bottom to work better for my application!

Also a shout out to Foxwing/Oztent. While I haven't fully set it up yet, the Foxwing awning and components are some of the best quality I've seen. Even the tent stakes, poles, and ropes are way stronger than the average weekender gear you find in your local sporting goods store. While I don't consider myself a hard-core Overlander (I still have a day job), it's nice to buy the right gear the first time and have it perform flawlessly for years.

Looks great! Flags look awesome, but I'm curious on why they put your flags on backwards. The stars should always be charging.

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

I've added matching rims and tires with my tow rig. I'm using 18" PD1881 Compomotive wheels for Land Rover 5X120 with Goodyear Duratrac 265/65/R18 tires. Mounting the 5X120 rims required wheel adapters to convert from 6X5.5" to 5X120, which is a story unto itself. Let's just say that after working with Schutt Industries and EZ Accessory, hopefully I will have the correct wheel adapters to work with my hub-centric rims.

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

I've been waiting for a nice, sunny day to get the trailer prepped for future trips and play with some new toys. I'm really liking the Overland Solar 120 Watt folding panel! I also had a chance to setup my Trail Kitchens King Charles Chuck Box and Alu-Box pantry. The water tanks on the XV2 were winterized, so today was a good day to flush everything out and get the kitchen sink and shower working. Hours spent in the driveway prepping certainly pay dividends on the trail and in the campsite!

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice! Where did you find those protected switches? I need a couple to put in my tongue box on the Hiker trailer.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Nice! Where did you find those protected switches? I need a couple to put in my tongue box on the Hiker trailer.
Steve - those protected switch sets come with the trailer. I've been poking around looking for similar I can use in the van. Here's a couple links:
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/de/natural-aluminium-toggle-switch-guard
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/de/toggle-switch-guard-chrome
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?5923-Retro-Window-Switches-NA

I'm going to ask Schutt where they sourced them, and if they'll sell just the switch sets. The black plastic toggles have a green light in the end that show you that circuit is on.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm going to ask Schutt where they sourced them, and if they'll sell just the switch sets.
Thank you for the links. All I've seen in my limited searching have been military type "lift cover to activate" switches. I'm more interested in something like the type Schutt includes to prevent breaking a toggle, or to accidentally turn on a switch when I toss something in the tongue box, resulting in a drained battery.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thank you for the links. All I've seen in my limited searching have been military type "lift cover to activate" switches. I'm more interested in something like the type Schutt includes to prevent breaking a toggle, or to accidentally turn on a switch when I toss something in the tongue box, resulting in a drained battery.
Exactly. I have the same exact setup in the power center on my XV-2 and love them for exactly the reasons you want them. If I find out anything from Schutt on where they get them, I'll let you know.

@KSTrekker - sorry to butt into your thread!

Reactions: Steve

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

We recently used our XV2 trailer as a basecamp at SCARR2018 in Texas. 500 miles of highway and off-road driving was a dream with the XV2. Even though the loaded weight isn't anywhere close to 3,500 lbs, I use a brake controller in my Land Rover LR4. That makes a huge difference controlling stopping with the trailer. Here's some pictures from our setup:

Some of the gear shown here - REI Kingdom table and Solaire Everywhere grill. Jet Tent Pilot chairs from OzTent are phenomenal! The Solaire grill is infrared and makes quick work of grilling, even in windy conditions or bad weather.

ARB Simpson III with Annex. We use CCMultigear and OzTent sand mats. Yeti 65l cooler, Pelican case with most of my electronics, Alu-Box 60l for my pantry. Waste can on the left is trash and recycling on the right.

Sliding top utensil drawer on the Trail Kitchen King Charles Chuck Box. This thing is a lifesaver! Being able to pull a fork or knife out of a drawer just like you are at home was so nice! This was a big hit with my wife.

Last edited:

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Shown here is my Cleanwaste privacy shelter. We actually use that as a shower. The Cleanwaste PETT toilet (WAG bag) is actually in the annex. 120Watt folding solar panels from Overland Solar. We never got a really sunny day on this trip, but we still managed to store around 30Ah back into the system. We had some really bad rain and wind, which the panel handled like a champ. The Yeti loadout bucket goes in the front box and stores hoses, cords, and odds & ends. It also doubles as a step stool and extra chair around camp. I love devices that are multi-taskers!

One criticism I have with my XV2 trailer - the drop-in stove is crap! It's actually designed to be used in an RV. Outside in the wind and elements, it doesn't do very well. It took forever on windy days to make coffee and cook. I plan on hitting up XVenture at Overland Expo West to come up with a better stove option for the galley. Until they come up with something better, I would recommend skipping the stove option and use your own campstove that has a built-in windscreen.

steve jones

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've added matching rims and tires with my tow rig. I'm using 18" PD1881 Compomotive wheels for Land Rover 5X120 with Goodyear Duratrac 265/65/R18 tires. Mounting the 5X120 rims required wheel adapters to convert from 6X5.5" to 5X120, which is a story unto itself. Let's just say that after working with Schutt Industries and EZ Accessory, hopefully I will have the correct wheel adapters to work with my hub-centric rims.

Hi KSTrekker, I love your setup. I have an XV2 with a Steel Partner stove (OE stove too wimpy) and I tow it with my 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE. Like you, I have the Compomotive rims and would like to add those wheels to the trailer. May I ask how you nailed down the spacers? Maybe I could save time and effort on the learning curve you already surmounted.....

amp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Floyds Knobs, Indiana
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Pittelko
Member #

I'd be interested to know too, I'm picking up a demo 2014 XV-2 from Schutt in the next few weeks and would like to put matching ZR2 rims which are 6 x 120.
add me to that list.
I am looking for 5x5 to 6 x120 for our ZR2 as well.

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

I finally got around to publishing a video I made on relocating the galley from the front of the trailer to the tailgate. I did a 2-week Overlanding trip solo and had to make a few modifications, since I normally have my wife there to help with setup/takedown. My first modification/upgrade was a hardshell RTT. I went with the Maggiolina Grand Tour. It was much easier to setup/takedown by myself compared to my ARB Simpson III. Next modification was moving the galley from where it was intended to ride in the front of the trailer to the tailgate. I had previously setup the galley by myself, but it was very time consuming and hard on me physically. Moving the galley to the tailgate means that it has to be unloaded first.

Reactions: Road and Jimmy P

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So, feel like an idiot, but perhaps it can help some folks out. You can not use an pressure/force when adding water to the water tank. Basically I didn't have enough water in the tank even though I thought I had it filled up. I think it also has something to do with the older tanks that have a large baffle between the two tanks, you basically can't use the second tank, you probably only have access to about 15 gallons of water, where the capacity is 22 gallons. Definetely something I'll have to look into changing out the tanks to a stainless steel tank that I can heat to 40 degrees so it doesn't freeze.
I have an XV-2 with the 22 gal tank, with baffle, and have never had a problem with it. The baffle doesn't seal off one side from the other, it is my understanding that it just prevents the entire load of water from rushing to the downhill side if you go off-camber, preserving a better center of gravity as it settles.

I've had my trailer out on the trail and backcountry camping somewhere over 600 nights in the 2+ years I've owned it--basically full-time-- and the baffle has never prevented me from filling or using the entire 22 gals.

Soon as I know the temps are going to dip below 28ºF, I unscrew the nut on the bottom of the tank to drain it, remove the plate and switch the pump to suck from a gallon jug of RV anti-freeze instead of the water tank, and winterize the system by pulling it through the lines and heater by opening the hot, then cold at the sink, and the hot/cold mix at the fitting on the front right corner.

If you don't have it full enough, or have emptied and winterized it then refilled it, the lines may be empty and it will wheeze until the pump pulls enough from the tank into the lines and then to the outlets.

As for the cover...mine came with a hard-folding cover and I swapped it for the hard-rolling cover from Titanium that Schutt provides. I love it, compared to the hard folding cover. MUCH easier to use for the way I pack and camp and travel. I can load stuff on top of it, no problem.

I absolutely love my XV-2.

xv2-n-van_6778-900.jpg
coverloaded_roaddude_6062-900.jpg
packmaster_1650-900.jpg
rttup-noawning_0166-1000.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I finally got around to publishing a video I made on relocating the galley from the front of the trailer to the tailgate. I did a 2-week Overlanding trip solo and had to make a few modifications, since I normally have my wife there to help with setup/takedown. My first modification/upgrade was a hardshell RTT. I went with the Maggiolina Grand Tour. It was much easier to setup/takedown by myself compared to my ARB Simpson III. Next modification was moving the galley from where it was intended to ride in the front of the trailer to the tailgate. I had previously setup the galley by myself, but it was very time consuming and hard on me physically. Moving the galley to the tailgate means that it has to be unloaded first.

I quit using that front position for my counter almost immediately, being primarily a solo traveler. I keep my galley counter along the wheel well on one side, face of the counter protected from the rough bed liner with a 3/16" piece of ply. It's ended up being the best place for it, and with somewhere around 600 nights out now, the easiest and most efficient to grab from and stow back away.

I like your idea of keeping it on the tailgate, though too often camp for a quick night or pull over for a meal and don't set up the galley counter, but do use the tailgate for working on gear, etc.

packmaster_1650-900.jpg
Rush pack job going just down the road to another lake spot.

galley_8645-900.jpg
The long, solid, galley counter with hot and cold running water is one of the best things about this trailer, especially for extended stays, which I do a ton of. I use my counter as a desk, a work table, and kitchen counter, often all three within hours.

Campkitchen_7190-900.jpg
If I know I'm going ot be doing a lot of shooting with a lot of camera gear out, then doing a lot of computer work, or just want more counter space for big meal prep or whatever, I set up my kitchen box and stove at the end, not on the counter.

tensetup-1028.gif
Otherwise the chuck box and stove almost always goes on the left end of the counter, which still leaves me a lot of free counter space between it and the sink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wallygator

kinginlv

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
King
  • Zamp Solar Controller
  • 50l ARB Fridge/Freezer
  • ARB Air compressor
  • Max Coupler hitch

Are you still loving your XV2 trailer? I am seriously looking at one now. Just wanted your thoughts on it after a few years!! Thanks